Page 2 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

blackicmenace
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2016, 11:31 pm

League_Girl wrote:
blackicmenace wrote:
I see people discriminate against autism almost on a daily basis and no one stands up against it. Does anyone use neurotypical as a slur?

Yes. I've seen it happen.

Quick assessment. Which is the larger problem? Not saying either is ok.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2016, 11:56 pm

I've never believed in some sort of collective hive called NT's. It's a very diverse society and I think should just be called society. The thing with autism is doesn't do well at operating within society. I don't think that's the fault of society. The teachers and staff at my school have to be specially trained on how to work with us. So how easy can it be for average society to know how to deal with autism?

Also because most aspies are not around others with autism, they attribute anything and everything they don't like about human behavior to the NT's. Why do NT's do this and that? Why are they loud, rude, selfish etc etc. They don't realize a good portion of the stuff they apply to the NT's applies to everyone. But since I've spent my whole life around autistic people, I know a majority of these gripes apply to autistic people as well. In some cases the complaint applies even more to autistic people. But they have no way of making a comparison.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2016, 12:26 am

If only aspies knew that even NTs can't help it. :lol: Only difference is, NTs get away with it because they're 'in territory'.

Both parties, in some way or another, both live in a certain bubble. Aspies to themselves, and NTs to whatever context they instinctively follow. The 'bubble' is practically the same. Only differences are, who's in it and what 'rule' does it follow.

As much as autistics want NTs see past through their 'disability', why not autistics try see past through the cultures that NTs follow that may had anything to do with relative-like inappropriateness from an autistic's point of view?
But then, saying that is practically like telling someone to be some odd stranger's bff and 'reach out' the 'good' in them. :| In which might've been unrealistic in this era. Because an NT, and another from another context, might as well have to do that.

Why do I insists things like ethnocentrism on NTs too often? I'll give you my little piece of background...
I'm a born Filipino. To be specific, a Tagalog Filipino in a middle class. With my most usual oddities and eccentricity, I don't 'pass' as a Tagalog Filipino middle classer, instead people assume I'm an Ilocana Filipino upper middle class who happened to be in the Tagalog region. :lol: So and so, I got away with mild oddities like accent and few missed cues of gestures and other few things. This 'assumption' they follow, is merely an illusion. Not because I'm blending in, because they assume so in the first place. They're not dumb or idiots for believing so, simply because they cannot help it -- that's how NTs work in their environment. Doesn't matter what their personality is, or their mental aptitude can actually do, that's how they are likely initially think. And autistics just so happens to struggle keeping up with the illusion.
Growing up, I have OFWs (Overseas Filipino Workers) relatives , acquaintances, online friends, etc. When I see them in real life, sometime before they depart to another country, do you know what they doing? They practice foreign manners! Sounds familiar, isn't? :lol: And no, I don't think they practice body languages and phrases to be sociable -- lol no. They are practicing appropriateness, above else, for the sake of --take a guess what it is... :wink: Could be job, could be impressing other people, could be because they rather be a foreigner than a native. (wee for centuries of colonial mentality!) Could be for survival's sake.
They know assimilation. They know culture shock. It's just the odds of happening between two neurology are different. All in all, everyone is just fulfilling the illusion's territorial demands. The majority is just so happens to be the unwitting enforcer. I'm not saying that society itself is bad, but merely very flawed towards the spectrum and sometimes towards other humans who are either cannot fulfill the illusion or be damned by it merely because of gender, skin color, and so on.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2016, 1:33 am

EzraS wrote:
I've never believed in some sort of collective hive called NT's. It's a very diverse society and I think should just be called society. The thing with autism is doesn't do well at operating within society. I don't think that's the fault of society.

how does one gauge where "society" ends and the "outliers" begin, in this case, the autistics?

i don't think one can really make the argument of "those who are excluded", because ALL people, at some point in their lives feel excluded from something, to varying degrees. which specific aspects of society must one be excluded from to be an outlier? are there specific traits, characteristics you must have? what is even those who seem to "fit in" the most have these characteristics, but hide them?

even some of the smallest populations or groups of people have great enough diversity where one can be considered an outsider. individuals.

xenophobia is killed by actually going out and meeting people, every time.

(also ezra, where are you, that you have almost always been around other autistics? your school?)

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

fourcandles
Raven
Raven

25 Dec 2016, 4:50 am

The "them vs us" thing doesn't fit my own experience.

I've met "neurotypical" people who were open-minded and welcoming towards me, even though I found it difficult to reciprocate. I even ended up marrying one of them. I haven't been diagnosed yet, so I may even *be* one of them.

On the other hand, I've also come across some deeply unpleasant people who were almost certainly at the "high functioning" end of the autistic spectrum, and who weren't above doing a bit of bullying themselves.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2016, 5:04 am

Edna3362 wrote:
If only aspies knew that even NTs can't help it. :lol: Only difference is, NTs get away with it because they're 'in territory'.

Both parties, in some way or another, both live in a certain bubble. Aspies to themselves, and NTs to whatever context they instinctively follow. The 'bubble' is practically the same. Only differences are, who's in it and what 'rule' does it follow.

As much as autistics want NTs see past through their 'disability', why not autistics try see past through the cultures that NTs follow that may had anything to do with relative-like inappropriateness from an autistic's point of view?
But then, saying that is practically like telling someone to be some odd stranger's bff and 'reach out' the 'good' in them. :|
I'll give you my little piece of background...
I'm a born Filipino. To be specific, a Tagalog Filipino in a middle class. With my most usual oddities and eccentricity, I don't 'pass' as a Tagalog Filipino middle classer, instead people assume I'm an Ilocana Filipino upper middle class who happened to be in the Tagalog region. :lol: .

So they respond to your aspergers by thinking that you must be from a different region, and from a different social class?

That would be like blue collar Americans thinking that an aspie in their midst "must be a Brit from Dowton Abbey".
That's pretty funny. :lol:

Actually (come to think of it) that kinda thing actually has happened to me. Fellow Americans thinking that I am British. Or saying that I am "a British type guy".

Fraser_1990
Toucan
Toucan

25 Dec 2016, 7:03 am

Freak-Z wrote:
Fraser_1990 wrote:
Freak-Z wrote:
I haven't been here in a while, is it still filled with bitter anti nt snobbery?

Wouldn't call it snobbery. But seeing as this website is for people who often feel shut out from the NT world, it can feel good to stick the knife in from time to time.

The problem with that is we are not talking about a small group of people here, we are talking about the majority of the population so you are sticking the knife into the back of all of them based on the actions of a possible few.

True. But it's in human nature to generalize and judge entire groups of people on the few that we remember the most.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2016, 12:38 pm

Kiprobalhato wrote:
EzraS wrote:
I've never believed in some sort of collective hive called NT's. It's a very diverse society and I think should just be called society. The thing with autism is doesn't do well at operating within society. I don't think that's the fault of society.

how does one gauge where "society" ends and the "outliers" begin, in this case, the autistics?

i don't think one can really make the argument of "those who are excluded", because ALL people, at some point in their lives feel excluded from something, to varying degrees. which specific aspects of society must one be excluded from to be an outlier? are there specific traits, characteristics you must have? what is even those who seem to "fit in" the most have these characteristics, but hide them?

even some of the smallest populations or groups of people have great enough diversity where one can be considered an outsider. individuals.

xenophobia is killed by actually going out and meeting people, every time.

(also ezra, where are you, that you have almost always been around other autistics? your school?)

I'm afraid I wasn't able to sufficiently grasp what you're saying/asking.

I have always been in a school for autistics up to 18 years old. Plus therapy clinics and workshops etc.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2016, 1:24 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Actually (come to think of it) that kinda thing actually has happened to me. Fellow Americans thinking that I am British. Or saying that I am "a British type guy".

i've had some other fellow yankees ask me of my origin as well, not least because i was caught mumbling in the language i have created (forever a work in progress).

i also "look french", and not of hispanic descent as i am.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2016, 2:46 pm

Fraser_1990 wrote:
Freak-Z wrote:
Fraser_1990 wrote:
Freak-Z wrote:
I haven't been here in a while, is it still filled with bitter anti nt snobbery?

Wouldn't call it snobbery. But seeing as this website is for people who often feel shut out from the NT world, it can feel good to stick the knife in from time to time.

The problem with that is we are not talking about a small group of people here, we are talking about the majority of the population so you are sticking the knife into the back of all of them based on the actions of a possible few.

True. But it's in human nature to generalize and judge entire groups of people on the few that we remember the most.

Yes, probably one of the more flawed aspects of human nature.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2016, 6:52 pm

EzraS wrote:

I have always been in a school for autistics up to 18 years old. Plus therapy clinics and workshops etc.

sorry.

i was asking where one draws the border between "society" and those who do not fit in said society, and pointing out that within groups, there will most likely be one who feels as though he does not fit in, or is somehow different than the others, even though it might not seem like that to an outside observer.

aren't you going to be 18 sometime soon, in a couple years? have any plans for transferring to another AS- majority school then or not?

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2016, 3:06 am

Kiprobalhato wrote:
EzraS wrote:

sorry.

i was asking where one draws the border between "society" and those who do not fit in said society, and pointing out that within groups, there will most likely be one who feels as though he does not fit in, or is somehow different than the others, even though it might not seem like that to an outside observer.

I'm not sure. I just know autism specifically affects one's social abilities. So society and autism don't mix well. It seems they're bound to clash.

Kiprobalhato wrote:
aren't you going to be 18 sometime soon, in a couple years? have any plans for transferring to another AS- majority school then or not?

I'll be 18 in August 2018. Plans for what to do, where to go after high school are still up in the air.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2016, 6:41 am

Yeah, there's still a lot of anti-NT sentiment here.

Lunella
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2016, 8:53 am

I always thought the Anti-NT thing was utterly ridiculous because on the whole, they're just different people who think and do things in a different way to yourself, as are other people with autism as some are all over the place on the spectrum. Having an us vs them mentality with this just means you think you're some sort of special snowflake who should be treated differently to everyone else rather than tackling the problem yourself and trying to develop strategies of your own to tackle every day life like everyone else has to do. There's always gonna be someone worse off than you for the same/similar reasons but still pushing forward not making up excuses why they can't do something or why they should get special treatment, they just do it without all that drama. Truth is, no one is special or gives any f***s about anyone, you gotta make your own way in life despite differences, disabilities or not. If you have help to do it then you're just lucky but without it you just have to force yourself a resolution or you're just going to stay the same and have the same problems for years and years.

Society isn't gonna change for the likes of something like this, society will always be society, closed minded and full of crappy ignorant people who only care about money and popularity. Unless it develops a brain cell and changes for the better.
I think when it comes to society, you have to see the full picture of what society really is and ask yourself if you want to be part of that or if you want to just be part of some bits of it, but you don't have to follow every unwritten rule of society, you can do other stuff in life.

You can't segregate an entire populous just because they're a bit different to you though. Fair enough, NT people do that with autistic people but if we do it back that doesn't make us any better than those certain NT people who do it, does it? And it's not ALL NTs ever that do it, not every single NT person in the world does that, it's just a select few closed minded individuals that usually most of the time don't even completely understand the true extent of it anyway. When people go "oh stupid NT boss fired me because he didn't understand how I work" it should be more like, "oh boss person fired me today cause I lack the skills required for that job which I could learn with some effort but I'd rather rant and rave about it because I like the feeling of being special and that's easier". Completely disregarding that it's them with the problem. It's all just ignorance at the end of it so don't imitate ignorant bellends.

Me and another aspie friend were actually talking about other aspies, on a similar note this reminds me of it because it was about parents of people with autism telling them they're "a very special boy/girl" or whatever growing up throughout the years and then later in life develop some kind of god complex and they usually end up very toxic or selfish. It's just because we'd actually seen this happen in many other autistic friends or just people that we know about. I find this kind of behaviour just adds to the whole Anti-NT thing which is ridiculous.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2016, 11:48 am

EzraS wrote:
I'm not sure. I just know autism specifically affects one's social abilities. So society and autism don't mix well. It seems they're bound to clash.

yeah, it does seem like an inevitability. being able to extract all that you want from it (society) wile avoiding as much as you can seems to have worked best, for me.

EzraS wrote:
I'll be 18 in August 2018. Plans for what to do, where to go after high school are still up in the air.

ah, so you still have quite a bit of time left - that's good. i seem to recall reading you were 14, i just didn't know how long ago that was.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

JohnnyLurg
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Dec 2016, 1:43 pm

You mean like this?: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=286142

Yeah, that isn't going away anytime soon. As long as there are overprivileged NTs who are blissfully unaware of how much easier they have it than people with AS, I'm afraid you're going to have to just deal with our justified bitterness.

Besides, with responses like some of those on that post and some of the ones on here, it could just as easily be argued that this forum is filled with anti-AS snobbery, or at least self-hating AS snobbery.