Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

feral botanist
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2016, 1:54 pm

I go through periods where I wish I could stop talking, not communicating, just talking. Gandhi used to have a day each week that was silent. I wish I could have a couple of months like that each year.

The problem is that I would likely lose my job and my friends and family would freak out.

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2016, 2:41 pm

There are people who make silent retreats.
Maybe you could look into that.
It's common among Catholics anyways.

Or at least you could build some quiet time into your schedule each day.

feral botanist
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2016, 2:51 pm

I used to go to Zen retreats that were silent, but it isnt retreating from the world, but just the pressure of having to answer everyone, of being expected to interact with people at every single moment. To constantly having to be ready to act like a normal human being and engage in meaningless small talk. I wish I had an excuse to not...pretend, I guess.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2017, 11:29 pm

I avoid others when I don't feel like talking. I can't stand being reachable 247. I don't think I could ever live with someone in a relationship because I would get easily overwhelmed and wouldn't get enough alone time that I need to recharge. I actively seek to avoid social demands.

feral botanist
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2017, 12:00 pm

I have lived with three girlfriends and each one had to accept that there would long periods of silence.