How you come across online vs. in real life

Page 3 of 5 [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

kdm1984
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Dec 2016, 10:49 pm

the_phoenix wrote:
That said, when I don't disclose I'm female on a forum, people can easily get the impression I'm male.
I was once told by a feminist (oh, the irony!) on a forum that I was "too intelligent" to be female. 8O
And it wasn't like I was trying to fool her.

lol I know what that is like.

kdm1984
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Dec 2016, 10:49 pm

auntblabby wrote:
^^^glad you're here at least :wtg:

It is helpful to come here occasionally :)

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2016, 10:53 pm

kdm1984 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
^^^glad you're here at least :wtg:

It is helpful to come here occasionally :)

this place saved my life. :heart:

blackicmenace
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2016, 11:58 pm

auntblabby wrote:
but his avatar means well.

I understand an avatar is meant to represent you, but in all honesty, I never include avatars or online names in an assessment of someone. I typically just analyze their viewpoints, perceived morality and things of that nature to build my outlook on said person. I wonder if I am alone in discarding avatars and names while building datum.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2016, 12:09 am

blackicmenace wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

I understand an avatar is meant to represent you, but in all honesty, I never include avatars or online names in an assessment of someone. I typically just analyze their viewpoints, perceived morality and things of that nature to build my outlook on said person. I wonder if I am alone in discarding avatars and names while building datum.

all I can say is that the username and avatar are useful pieces of info augmenting what one knows about the poster.

blackicmenace
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2016, 12:25 am

auntblabby wrote:
blackicmenace wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

all I can say is that the username and avatar are useful pieces of info augmenting what one knows about the poster.

Maybe it's because I don't take that information seriously. I have found it to be a poor choice to assume someone is male or female by an avatar just like IRL making assumptions from outside appearances may not represent who they are inside. Or that any serious thought went into someone's profile name that seems silly or created out of necessity. Maybe I am alone in thinking this way.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2016, 12:40 am

blackicmenace wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
blackicmenace wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Maybe it's because I don't take that information seriously. I have found it to be a poor choice to assume someone is male or female by an avatar just like IRL making assumptions from outside appearances may not represent who they are inside. Or that any serious thought went into someone's profile name that seems silly or created out of necessity. Maybe I am alone in thinking this way.

I chose both of mine with great care, knowing that they must be my "who I am I wear on my sleeves" badge ID of sorts. I don't know how many others here feel similarly but I would guess a great many.

blackicmenace
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2016, 1:11 am

auntblabby wrote:
blackicmenace wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
blackicmenace wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

I chose both of mine with great care, knowing that they must be my "who I am I wear on my sleeves" badge ID of sorts. I don't know how many others here feel similarly but I would guess a great many.

I see the error in my ways, thanks for the insight.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2016, 1:18 am

blackicmenace wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
blackicmenace wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
blackicmenace wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

I see the error in my ways, thanks for the insight.

no "error" here, just a different way of perceiving this world. :flower: I would also imagine there are lotsa folks who see things your way as well.

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2016, 2:54 am

In real life, I come across in a way that makes people feel sorry for me. Online, obviously not the case - I've sometimes been told I'm being viewed as threatening, no idea where that comes from. How can I be opposites?

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2016, 3:30 am

I think I come across as goofy IRL. Probably online too. And sometimes I think I appear aggressive and overly confident IRL - but I doubt that is the case online, where I have more time to think, and body language is not a factor.

I'm really wordy, though, and that works better on WP than IRL. I suspect it would be less popular on other forums.

SilentJessica
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Dec 2016, 3:37 am

Online, I can type the same as how I think and I can be who I really am. Other people have told me I'm very nice and understanding.

In real life, I can't talk to anyone (only four people, who are my parents and sisters) and if I'm around other people, I'll sit there playing with my hands, jewellery or bag, tapping my face with my fingers, not talking and not really looking at anyone. I'm sure everyone thinks I'm rude or dumb, and that I think I'm better than them. When I'm not there, they probably talk about me and say bad things.

AQ: 40
RAADS-R: 149

Goth Fairy
Toucan
Toucan

29 Dec 2016, 3:47 am

I'm rather new here, so I don't know if people have much of an opinion of me yet or not.
I have used other forums before and as a lot of people here have said, I think I come across better online because writing is easier than talking and I can take time to think about my responses and edit them before I post. This means that I tend to say a lot more, because in real life I am very quiet. I often can't think of what to say, and by the time I have thought of it, the conversation has moved on or other people are talking too much and I can't get a word in edgeways.
I have to say that I love WP because I don't need to worry that there are any alterior motives, just a lot of people who are naturally honest and say what they mean, and talk about the things that really interest them, and I find it refreshing and clear.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2016, 3:53 am

i probably sound a lot more eloquent on here than in speech.

which is probably a no brainer and true for most. here you can put thought into what you wanna say.

i try to not be as much of a jerk here, as i can be offline...unintentionally.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Hippygoth
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Dec 2016, 5:18 am

I definitely come over better online. Communicating through text is far easier for me than speaking to someone, and no one sees the anxiety.

nikkiDT
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Dec 2016, 6:56 am

Communicating online is easier for me. You have time to think about what you're going to say. Plus, I think I come across as less awkward online as opposed to IRL.