How you come across online vs. in real life

Page 4 of 5 [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

nikkiDT
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Dec 2016, 6:56 am

Communicating online is easier for me. You have time to think about what you're going to say. Plus, I think I come across as less awkward online as opposed to IRL.

SharkSandwich211
Toucan
Toucan

29 Dec 2016, 8:17 am

I think for the most part I am the same in either place. Out in public my pointedness and intimidating looks work against me sometimes but on here the looks don't matter and my pointedness is subdued by the fact that most of us are a little more to the point than most people. In either setting though, I am eager to help, share, and I always try to be respectful. Although I tend not to by as cynical on here as I am in real life. Maybe it's the subject matter that I respond to...but offline I can be a real wise-ass. Kind Regards Shark

Great thread question by the way!! !

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

29 Dec 2016, 8:17 am

I would agree that communicating online is a lot easier, in real life I have a whole lot of issues I'm sure you folks are all to familiar with. More anxious, less engaging, more in my own head, I don't know how I come off to other people to be honest. Online isn't easy tho, it use to be easier I thought as I use to have friends online but not so much anymore which I think social media is partly to blame but for some reason I've regressed as well. I feel like I can 'preform' in person socially and be on in short bursts with people I am comfortable with . I don't know how others perceive me.

Fraser_1990
Toucan
Toucan

29 Dec 2016, 8:22 am

I don't know how I come across to people online or offline. If I knew, I wouldn't be autistic.

Ashariel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2016, 9:32 am

blackicmenace wrote:
I understand an avatar is meant to represent you, but in all honesty, I never include avatars or online names in an assessment of someone. I typically just analyze their viewpoints, perceived morality and things of that nature to build my outlook on said person. I wonder if I am alone in discarding avatars and names while building datum.

I'm somewhat the same way, in that I click on a thread and read through the responses, largely ignoring the left column of 'who said what' and just focusing on what was said.

I have weird visual perception - colors and images are confusing to me anyway, so the avatars are just kind of a vague blur, unless I consciously make the effort to look at them and try to figure out what they're supposed to be. So the earlier discussion of your avatar - I honestly hadn't seen or noticed it at all. And my own impression was - some kind of animal, a cat I guess? I didn't come to the conclusion that it was scary-looking, just 'weird' somehow.

I tend to not understand people's user names or avatars, because often they are references to things I know nothing about. My own was simply my World of Warcraft character at the time - I couldn't think of anything else!

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2016, 10:23 am

I communicate far better in writing than through speech. I do well giving prepared speeches in Toastmasters, but small talk continues to make me anxious.

Ashariel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2016, 10:23 am

Fraser_1990 wrote:
I don't know how I come across to people online or offline. If I knew, I wouldn't be autistic.

I agree that it's our nature to be oblivious to how we come across, but I think we are capable of learning and improving(?) in that department, by asking for feedback from family, friends, therapists, etc. (Not to mention the free, unsolicited feedback bullies are always more than happy to provide us with! Haha)

You're right though, I think some autistics manage to remain blissfully unaware, and it's not a bad way to be :)

kdm1984
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Dec 2016, 1:20 pm

Ashariel wrote:
Fraser_1990 wrote:

I agree that it's our nature to be oblivious to how we come across, but I think we are capable of learning and improving(?) in that department, by asking for feedback from family, friends, therapists, etc. (Not to mention the free, unsolicited feedback bullies are always more than happy to provide us with! Haha)

You're right though, I think some autistics manage to remain blissfully unaware, and it's not a bad way to be :)

lol I see his point. I didn't know how I came across until others told me. I thought I was a sweet, empathetic person...no. I'm cold, tactless, black-and-white logical, mean, and apparently unfriendly as expletive! :o

Ashariel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2016, 4:29 pm

Thanks for all the comments here - it's really helping me to understand this issue better!

What I've learned over the years is that "just being myself" online is a recipe for failure. So my challenge is to learn how to express myself honestly, but in a way that comes across better, and prevents misunderstandings.

Things I've learned the hard way:
- Don't overuse smilies. Some people find that annoying.
- If someone is rude to me, try to be honest but polite in return.

Things I still need to work on:
- How to offer support in a way that is helpful.

I'm particularly terrible at that last one. I care deeply about people who are going through a difficult time, but when I try to offer encouragement, suggestions, or commiseration, it's usually not at all what the person wanted to hear. So I think I'll quietly observe how other people offer support, and see if I can identify what works, and what doesn't.

I know I'm annoyingly analytical about all this. But it's how I make progress!

blackicmenace
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2016, 4:52 pm

Ashariel wrote:
Thanks for all the comments here - it's really helping me to understand this issue better!

What I've learned over the years is that "just being myself" online is a recipe for failure. So my challenge is to learn how to express myself honestly, but in a way that comes across better, and prevents misunderstandings.

Things I've learned the hard way:
- Don't overuse smilies. Some people find that annoying.
- If someone is rude to me, try to be honest but polite in return.

Things I still need to work on:
- How to offer support in a way that is helpful.

I'm particularly terrible at that last one. I care deeply about people who are going through a difficult time, but when I try to offer encouragement, suggestions, or commiseration, it's usually not at all what the person wanted to hear. So I think I'll quietly observe how other people offer support, and see if I can identify what works, and what doesn't.

I know I'm annoyingly analytical about all this. But it's how I make progress!

I don't find you annoying in the least bit. I enjoy your contribution to the discussion.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2016, 2:32 am

Ashariel wrote:
I'm somewhat the same way, in that I click on a thread and read through the responses, largely ignoring the left column of 'who said what' and just focusing on what was said.

i do the same, but it's hard for me to throw away age completely because i believe that does have a major impact on someone's perspective.

of course, i find myself on the receiving end. i've been dismissed on here before because of my age, often while i was doing a moderator action. or, at least felt like i didn't belong.

Ashariel wrote:
And my own impression was - some kind of animal, a cat I guess? I didn't come to the conclusion that it was scary-looking, just 'weird' somehow.

it's a guinea pig. which is a rodent.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2016, 2:47 am

I think I come off as more social online. In person, I am incredibly shy and rarely speak unless spoken to first. I also probably appear higher-functioning online than in person. No one can see me flapping my arms, rocking back and forth all the time, and making little noises constantly through a computer or my tablet. Because of that, I feel more confident. Plus, I think that the people here understand me much more than the people I know in real life, so I'm less afraid to be myself and I come out of my shell (so to speak).

blackicmenace
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2016, 2:53 am

Kiprobalhato wrote:
Ashariel wrote:
And my own impression was - some kind of animal, a cat I guess? I didn't come to the conclusion that it was scary-looking, just 'weird' somehow.

it's a guinea pig. which is a rodent.

Correction, it was a wet cat. Now it's a guinea pig in a suit of armor, which is nothing short of amazing.

bowtruckle
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Dec 2016, 3:28 am

Speaking of guinea pigs, I have two and they are absolutely adorable!

I feel more welcomed online, like I can join almost any conversation and people care what I say as much as they care what other people say. At school I'm the weird one always one minute behind every conversation, asking unrelated questions and ranting about my opinions on things, and at home and with friends I'm continuously making noises and stimming.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2016, 3:34 am

blackicmenace wrote:
Now it's a guinea pig in a suit of armor, which is nothing short of amazing.

he's probably cooking in there, though.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Ashariel
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2016, 8:46 am

Definitely an awesome guinea pig! Reminds me of a Pink Fairy Armadillo:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pink_fairy_armadillo

Back on topic, I'm realizing that I am capable of learning better social interaction skills online, and that it's possible I might learn to 'connect' better here, in a way that reflects who I truly am, and how I feel - whereas in real life I see that as a hopelessly impossible goal, and so I just keep smiling and nodding and trying to fit in.