Page 2 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

north404
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Dec 2016, 11:20 pm

I'm a senior in college and it sucked observing and comparing how my life was going with the peers in my class. It feels even worse looking at underclassmen (i.e., the excited/hopeful baby-faced freshmen or just hearing of underclassmen and their joy of landing an internship [when I've never even applied for an internship because I'm aware of the immediate rejection I'd face]). I feel like I've just wasted my life. I was never happy here and I'm growing debt, knowing I'm doomed to be unemployed lol. I've moreorless expected to die somehow, sometime "soon", however "soon" has happened and unfortunately I'm still here; I just didn't plan for a future because I didn't expect to still be alive at this point. Going to have to face the consequences of my negligence soon. :/

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2016, 11:29 pm

I'm going through that right now. I have a couple friends from high school who have graduated from college and are getting good jobs and I am having trouble finishing my courses in community college and can barely manage having a part-time job. I'm trying to be happy for them, but it hurts too. I know it sounds paranoid, but I feel like a lot of people I knew from school look down on me now more than ever because I am not as successful as they are.

citoyenlambda

30 Dec 2016, 3:01 am

I'm okay with it. All that matters to me is that I lead as good a life as I can with the tools I've been given.

Lockheart
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Dec 2016, 6:07 am

Fraser_1990 wrote:
Does it hurt anybody else to watch family, friends and anybody else you know move on with their lives. I mean like... getting decent careers, relationship, children, marriage.... etc.... while you feel like your own life is at a complete stand still?

This happens to me quite a lot. It's not easy.

Not as much as it used to. That's probably because I finally seem to be moving forward, albeit 15 or so years later than everybody else! It may also be because I am much less worried about being different now than I was in my 20s. And I understand now why I am different. I was only diagnosed with Asperger's six or so years ago. Before that I thought I was a total screw-up.

Having said that, I don't expect I'll ever follow a typical life path. I haven't had a real relationship yet and I'm not sure I'm equipped to have one, although if the chance comes up I would try. I don't want children and don't think marriage is for me. I'd be happy having a handful of close friends, time to pursue special interests and a satisfying job that doesn't drain my energy and pays enough for me to buy my own home. I'm still working on getting those things but I'm making progress.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2016, 10:13 am

Lockheart,

You are very similar to me. I could write a lot of the same things. I am not bothered by the successes of others (in fact, I can celebrate them and am excited for them). Now that I am moving forward in life, things are looking up. The only thing that bothers me is I know I should (and could) have done those things many years before. I often wonder what I might have done with my life with my intelligence and normal social skills.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2016, 11:12 am

I sometimes feel that my many years of formal education were wasted, since I in no way had the career or the income in adulthood that most people would with that background.

On the other hand, I would probably not cope with my reality as well now if I had NOT had that education, which helps me be a critical consumer, make good decisions, and engage with others meaningfully but not destructively.

We should all be cautious about engaging in upward social comparisons (where you find people more successful than yourself). There's nothing wrong with asking "how am I doing, compared to my peers?" as long as it isn't an obsessive, cyclical, repeating pre-occupation. Any mental activity that leaves you feeling worse is something to be avoided.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2016, 2:18 pm

I can't f*****g stand it, and it's something I've had to live with since high school. Seeing old friends of mine getting jobs, getting their first vehicles, finishing high school, going to college, getting into serious relationships, sometimes even buying houses and starting families... it really pisses me off. I'm 23 years old, and I haven't done s**t with my life, nor can I see myself being able to any time soon. I have my own apartment, but the only reason I can afford it is because I'm on disability.

Other than that, I don't drive, I don't work, I'm not in a serious relationship, I have only a few friends that I talk to on a semi-regular basis, almost all of which are online... I pretty much spend my days rotting in front of the TV and shitposting on my laptop, while eating takeout I can't afford for the Xth night in a row because I can't be bothered to clean my kitchen or cook. Ugh.

Fraser_1990
Toucan
Toucan

30 Dec 2016, 8:10 pm

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
I can't f*****g stand it, and it's something I've had to live with since high school. Seeing old friends of mine getting jobs, getting their first vehicles, finishing high school, going to college, getting into serious relationships, sometimes even buying houses and starting families... it really pisses me off. I'm 23 years old, and I haven't done s**t with my life, nor can I see myself being able to any time soon. I have my own apartment, but the only reason I can afford it is because I'm on disability.

Other than that, I don't drive, I don't work, I'm not in a serious relationship, I have only a few friends that I talk to on a semi-regular basis, almost all of which are online... I pretty much spend my days rotting in front of the TV and shitposting on my laptop, while eating takeout I can't afford for the Xth night in a row because I can't be bothered to clean my kitchen or cook. Ugh.

I was there a few years ago. But recently plucked up the courage to go to college. Perhaps one day you'll wake up and think "**** it" and you'll go out there and discover what makes you happy. Chin up lad. :)

crystaltermination
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2016, 8:40 pm

Recently discovered thanks to facebook's annoying 'memories' function my ex is engaged to his current girlfriend. I feel both happy and viciously spiteful towards them. The latter is a surprise but not unexpected I suppose, given I tend to bury my anger at people, that and the jealousy felt towards those who indeed move on with their lives. It's uncomfortable, though. There really are no shades of grey in my emotional state of affairs regarding this little revelation.

Lockheart
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Dec 2016, 12:03 am

IstominFan wrote:
Lockheart,

You are very similar to me. I could write a lot of the same things. I am not bothered by the successes of others (in fact, I can celebrate them and am excited for them). Now that I am moving forward in life, things are looking up. The only thing that bothers me is I know I should (and could) have done those things many years before. I often wonder what I might have done with my life with my intelligence and normal social skills.

IstominFan: Ah, yes. I recognise the the "what if" game. I'm no genius, but I'm reasonably intelligent and I believe that if I'd had better guidance, social skills and some actual self-confidence when I was in my 20s, I would be much further along the track by now. However, it is what it is. I can't go back and change it. And I have to give myself some credit: considering I was an undiagnosed autistic with issues, I did pretty well to remain in employment, however mind-numbing and crazy-making it was. In the last five years I've made a lot of progress and feel like I'm about where most other people would be in their late teens or early 20s. The future looks much brighter; I hope it does for you too.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2016, 5:56 am

Fraser_1990 wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

I was there a few years ago. But recently plucked up the courage to go to college. Perhaps one day you'll wake up and think "**** it" and you'll go out there and discover what makes you happy. Chin up lad. :)

I actually tried going back to school a while ago, through Alberta Works, but I had to drop it because my attendance wasn't up to snuff. The courses were largely online, yet they demanded I show up in person. I keep meaning to save up enough money so that I can afford it myself, but it just never happens.It's something I should really pursue, since it'll give me something to do, something to be proud of.

Fraser_1990
Toucan
Toucan

31 Dec 2016, 5:57 am

crystaltermination wrote:
Recently discovered thanks to facebook's annoying 'memories' function my ex is engaged to his current girlfriend. I feel both happy and viciously spiteful towards them. The latter is a surprise but not unexpected I suppose, given I tend to bury my anger at people, that and the jealousy felt towards those who indeed move on with their lives. It's uncomfortable, though. There really are no shades of grey in my emotional state of affairs regarding this little revelation.

Yeah, I know that feeling quite well. Especially with ex's who have settled down with the partner that they cheated with you on, only to go on and get married and have children. I have a few of those. :(

Fraser_1990
Toucan
Toucan

31 Dec 2016, 6:00 am

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
Fraser_1990 wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

I actually tried going back to school a while ago, through Alberta Works, but I had to drop it because my attendance wasn't up to snuff. The courses were largely online, yet they demanded I show up in person. I keep meaning to save up enough money so that I can afford it myself, but it just never happens.It's something I should really pursue, since it'll give me something to do, something to be proud of.

I had a problem saving up money (due to gambling addiction mostly). I finally got fed up with it, that I opened up an account that I couldn't withdraw money from, but had to pay so much into each month.

Perhaps worth trying something like that? Once you can finally withdraw money, you'll have all the money you need for the goal you wish to pursue.

rowan_nichol
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2016, 7:16 am

Good call with that bank accoiubt Fraser.

I have tended to be a slow plodder in this life progression game. Seeking promotion away from the area where I use my knowledge and skill in order to have the title Manager, never seen the point of taking on the extra stress. While I occasionally felt left out ad peers paired of, and absorbed some kindly Kent concern from my mum in a less than helpful way, I am quite happy to offset missing fairy tale marriage young with missing also acrimonious middle age divorce. I find it pleasing that always being five years younger, my younger brother could scrore a first be being the first one (in fact the only one) to marry and start a family (Very successfully)

I have generally done what has felt right and been successful on my terms.

I sometimes wonder how much of someone's lavish outward success is sitting on a pile of debt which an interest rate rise or redundancy can turn into a pile of grief while my more modest setup in now all mine.

It weighed a little on me 20 years ago. An unexpected set of sideways moves in working life gave some growth and also opportunities came which as a single person I could take and grow from which I could not have done had I followed the conventional life path.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2016, 7:38 am

I would say, except for education, I would probably fall into the early 20s range as well, even though I'm 52. Finally getting my driver's license at 48 has improved my ability to function and to seek social outlets tremendously. One area I haven't made progress in is the area of love and romance. I don't know if I will ever fall in love and get married, but I have conquered other things I never thought I would.

Froya
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2016, 8:22 am

Oh yes, absolutely. It's painful and makes me feel shameful. Sometimes when I feel bad about this, I look up facebook profiles of people who hasn't been as successful either :ncool: It helps to know I'm not the only one.