Can you handle not handle too much information at once?

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

DinoMongoosePenguin
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

29 Dec 2016, 6:02 pm

I was going to ask "Can you handle tasks where there is a lot of information thrown at once to get to the next step?" but the title thing only fit so many characters.

I can handle if I learn steps A and then go to step B and so on. What seems to be troubling is when, either in school or for other tasks, I have to read Step A, Step B, Step C, Step D, etc at once and guess what's relevant and have no idea what I need right away to get to Step K, etc.

Also, this could apply to things that are not as cluttered vs. a lot of cluttered stuff, where the more clutter, the more distress it causes.

For instance, this article seems easy to do and follow: http://www.wpbeginner.com/wp-tutorials/ ... ss-plugin/

This one seems hard and intimidates me: https://codex.wordpress.org/Writing_a_Plugin

Not sure if it's autism related, but certain things tend to trigger "information overload" and cause it to impede my progress. I know I ran into this issue in college while trying to learn too much in a short period of time, especially with having to read dozens of textbook pages (for each class) per night, especially when the information wasn't the easiest to follow and may have been technical.

Actually, I think the technical part is KEY to the issue. (My field was Computer Science, so I experienced more and more long assignments of "technical" stuff, the higher up in college I got.)

(Note, I don't think it's just the amount of information alone, though there had been times in college where I noticed a big long assignment that I had to read and it never seemed to get any shorter and kinda scared me. I know that, in high school, sometimes I was reading 30-40 pages for Tale of Two Cities a night (and that was just one class!) yet didn't have this information overload problem.)

I know that classes that had me enough time to learn Step A before Step B, but when I have to learn Steps A and B plus other stuff, some that I was NEVER taught in class, it was a nightmare. I think I can recall two times this happened specifically. The first time, it was in a web development class where sometimes I'd have to know stuff like SQL despite NOT being taught (luckily it was still only a few points of the assignment, but still, it was a pain.) Another class you HAD to code it in C/C++ (it wasn't a coding class, but this part of it involved coding.) You could NOT do Java (which was required teaching so everyone already had that.) but HAD to do it in C/C++ (which some people had not taken.) I lucked out in that one as I HAD taken C/C++ (though I still found it harder than Java).

Fraser_1990
Toucan
Toucan

29 Dec 2016, 6:14 pm

I'm studying Software Development and have came across similar issues. I haven't touched C++ yet, but from what I hear, it's quite similar to Java.

I feel like i'm expected to know certain things on the course already, despite never being taught them before.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

01 Jan 2017, 4:12 am

I have a hard time with that sometimes but it's probably related to my ADD & dyslexia.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2017, 5:30 am

It's definitely an issue that I have, and I suspect it's a common autistic trait. I get overloaded very easily, and I remember having trouble reading a lot of my textbooks and following my teachers' lectures in high school because of it.