What would you do if you were one of the world leaders?

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

madbutnotmad
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2016, 5:16 pm

Again, just to stimulate debate.
I was wondering what you would do if you were a world leader at the moment.
How would you solve some of the worlds problems, that is, if you think there are problems.

To start off.
I would say that if i were a prominent world leader with the power of perhaps Mr. Trump or Putin.
I would ask for a meeting with the UN in which i would propose that the world leaders should look at
trying to stabilize warring districts and start to implement peace treaties and long term strategies for world peace.

One area of concern would be what to do about the refugee crisis. I would try and suggest that money should be used to purchase land (or even a small country) to house refugees and to set up self sufficient communities.

One other area I would try to problem solve on is the incompatibility problems that appear to be present between Islam and the materialistic wests.

One solution that i would propose for this problem is to suggest to Islamic countries that we should set up citizenship of various countries based on religious philosophy or beliefs and using resources to help the different fractions after they have been separated to try and make things work.

So, for example, (in simple terms) for people who follow Islam, we could help them set up a state or country that is modelled on the Prophet Muhammad's vision.

For people who follow Marxism, we could set up a state that follows Marxism ideals. and so on.

With citizens of all factions working either in isolation or in co-operation with each other. For the greater good!
In stead of fighting wars for world dominance or to oppress others.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2016, 5:25 pm

Ah there's a problem with that. History shows that when the USA wanted to set up a state for Jews after WW2 and we got modern day Israel and just reviewing history will show the turmoil in that ara of the globe up to present day.

I do want us all to live in harmony, but the way things have gone in the past I'm not sure segregation of people into states is gonna work.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2016, 5:26 pm

Plus who do you take the land from to create the states?The original inhabitants are going to fight back. More war.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2016, 5:59 pm

Basic, guaranteed income
Extra subsidies for self sufficient or responsible behavior
Abstentionism

I think, where something is renewable and valuable, rather than rationing, we should make more of it.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2016, 6:10 pm

hurtloam wrote:
History shows that when the USA wanted to set up a state for Jews after WW2 and we got modern day Israel and just reviewing history will show the turmoil in that ara of the globe up to present day.

I do want us all to live in harmony, but the way things have gone in the past I'm not sure segregation of people into states is gonna work....

Plus who do you take the land from to create the states?The original inhabitants are going to fight back. More war.

I am apparently one of the 5-8% of Ashkenazi Jews, who share the same genetic haplogroup as the Kennewick Man, Clovis people, and 90% of pre-Columbian North Americans. The earliest known examples are found in Europe. In more-recent mutations, I show minimal degrees of separation, from one, proposed, Palestinian type, reminiscing of the story of Isaac and Ishmael.

The Nazi's (no offense to present company) had a stereotype of the universal, international, master-conspirator Jew, and my facial features align, flawlessly, with certain, notorious household names.

Where, in your opinion, should I be located.

No offense, but, maybe, it's not a simple, black-and-white answer.

In all fairness to you, migration and citizenship are perfectly relevant to statecraft. Maybe, it's something which should be discussed, academically.

(And, I remember your character from Fraggle Rock.)

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2016, 6:42 pm

friedmacguffins wrote:
hurtloam wrote:
History shows that when the USA wanted to set up a state for Jews after WW2 and we got modern day Israel and just reviewing history will show the turmoil in that ara of the globe up to present day.

I do want us all to live in harmony, but the way things have gone in the past I'm not sure segregation of people into states is gonna work....

I am apparently one of the 5-8% of Ashkenazi Jews, who share the same genetic haplogroup as the Kennewick Man, Clovis people, and 90% of pre-Columbian North Americans. The earliest known examples are found in Europe. In more-recent mutations, I show minimal degrees of separation, from one, proposed, Palestinian type, reminiscing of the story of Isaac and Ishmael.

The Nazi's (no offense to present company) had a stereotype of the universal, international, master-conspirator Jew, and my facial features align, flawlessly, with certain, notorious household names.

In all fairness to you, migration and citizenship are perfectly relevant to statecraft. Maybe, it's something which should be discussed, academically.

Hurtloam is right that the OP's notion would just create more war. Or would seem to be right based on recent history.

Why are you bragging about your results from "Twenty Three and Me"?

What does that have to do with anything?

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2016, 6:59 pm

friedmacguffins wrote:

naturalplastic wrote:
Why are you bragging about your results

Where do I say that it makes me better than Native Americans or Palestinians. If anything, I am saying there is some moral equivalence.

naturalplastic wrote:
from "Twenty Three and Me"?

Several services and independent study.

naturalplastic wrote:
What does that have to do with anything?

Native Americans, Palestinians, Jews, and Caucasians are all alleged to have birthright citizenship, on account of their genes.

It is probably the lowest common denominator, of all social discourse, in a question about executive authority.

The Jewish / Mexican / Muslim / Malthus question about lebensraum / livingspace. :roll:

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2016, 7:03 pm

friedmacguffins wrote:
hurtloam wrote:

(And, I remember your character from Fraggle Rock.)

I don't understand the question. I was pointing out how the op's idea doesn't work because we've all moved around so much. I'm not suggesting anyone should be sent anywhere.

My ancestors are from the north of India. I'm not really expecting anyone to send me back and if everyone of similar genetic makeup to me were rounded up and sent there, I doubt the current residents would be over the moon at having a load of people foisted on them and told this area would now be our designated state.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2016, 7:09 pm

hurtloam wrote:
I was pointing out how the op's idea doesn't work because we've all moved around so much.

So was I.

hurtloam wrote:
I'm not suggesting anyone should be sent anywhere.

No offense was intended, I was just being rhetorical.

hurtloam wrote:
My ancestors are from the north of India.

I think I have some there, too.

Maybe, we should get Indian citizenship.

hurtloam wrote:
I'm not really expecting anyone to send me back and if everyone of similar genetic makeup to me were rounded up and sent there, I doubt the current residents would be over the moon at having a load of people foisted on them and told this area would now be our designated state.

It might happen.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2016, 7:18 pm

I think the Mexican govt is publicly pretending to be offended, but privately intending to use it as an excuse for shovel-ready makework and a legal precedent against Guatemalans.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2016, 7:24 pm

I'd think domestic first and advise the following plans:

1) I'd want to have a debate opened to consider, somewhat immediately, a fixed national income supplement - maybe $6,000 to $10,000 per year for starters - to anyone whose capable of working and is actively holding a job. This supplement would be in effect for anyone earning less than $50,000 per year (with new income tax accounting to separate the income value of value sole proprietors from their company investments) and the dollar amount of this benefit would be held at that amount long enough for the economy to make sense of it and build mechanisms to accommodate. This measure would be in place for the sake of counterbalancing the upcoming (and guaranteed) replacement of people with AI that we'll be seeing in the next few decades. This fixed boiler-plate would move up in proportion to the degree of permanent structural unemployment caused by automation.

2) Massive updating of government IT systems for the sake of reducing waste and also for the sake of making what have up to this point been large bureaucracies to run on smaller and smaller groups of staff.

3) I would advocate the meeting of the House and Senate be reduced ideally to eight weeks out of the year - four weeks in January to allocate the new budget and four weeks in July or August for any needed updates with emergency sessions allowed if needed. This would help keep legislature focused on what's most important and not creating legislation for the sake of staying busy or feeding the lobbies that put them in.

4) Incentives to strengthen the not-for-profit and philanthropy sector as well as mutual benefit and educational organizations. I'd also encourage the best educators to improve online education and reduce the number of bloated wastemills and political ideologue factories we have which are charging kids up to $50,000 a year - and federally subsidized by Stafford loans, to give their students (or really their financial prey) spas and resort life while giving them next to nothing that floats them in the work world.

As for foreign policy -

I think all I could say here is argue for as many world-stabilizing and representative democratic global legal statutes as possible. If boots are needed on the ground somewhere fine, just that I'd have to say that if we go in somewhere we either stay until the job is finished or find a way to effectively deal with whatever brambles we find under the hood of what the former leadership left.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2016, 8:20 pm

First I would sprinkle magic pixie dust on Syria and make the civil war go away. That because I cannot imagine a timely just solution to the Syrian crises with out the use of magic.

Then (with out relying on magic) we could send the Syrian refugees back home, and speed up the task of destroying ISIL in nieghboring Iraq .

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2016, 8:55 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
First I would sprinkle magic pixie dust on Syria and make the civil war go away. That because I cannot imagine a timely just solution to the Syrian crises with out the use of magic.

There probably are some dusts you could sprinkle on Syria that would be helpful, they just happen to be DEA scheduled.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2016, 11:07 pm

friedmacguffins wrote:
friedmacguffins wrote:

naturalplastic wrote:

Where do I say that it makes me better than Native Americans or Palestinians.

Hallucinate text much?

Where did I say...that you said any of that?

What I meant was simply "WTF are you talking about?"

You were babbling about a bunch of seeming nonsequitars. And the only sense I could make out of it was that you were just using this thread as an excuse to talk about how interesting your genome is, or something or other.

DinoMongoosePenguin
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 Jan 2017, 9:18 pm

If I were a world leader, I would move to defund the United Nations and get it dissolved. I believe it to be the New Evil Empire.

1963 Communist Goal 11:

Promote the U.N. as the only hope for mankind. If its charter is rewritten, demand that it be set up as a one-world government with its own independent armed forces. (Some Communist leaders believe the world can be taken over as easily by the U.N. as by Moscow. Sometimes these two centers compete with each other as they are now doing in the Congo.)

If the Commies wanted it to grow, we want it gone.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2017, 9:58 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
(@31 Dec 2016, 9:42 am)

Who's bragging.

Wasn't the land claim based on genetics?

My haplotype (of people sharing the same genetic founder) has been discovered on every continent, besides Antarctica.

If the land claim is based on seniority, modernday Palestinians are not Philistines, whom the land named after. In the Torah, the land is taken from tribes of giants. Romans renamed the land after those giants.

If the land claim is based on conquest, Islamists have lost those wars.

hurtloam wrote:
who do you take the land from

:?:

So, how is land distributed / borders drawn. It was a relevant question. What would you do, if you were one of the world leaders?