Why are my friends assuming this about me?

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2017, 9:10 am

Last night at new years Eve I was hanging out with some associates and they know I have aspergers.

When we left the pub to walk home they insisted on walking me back to my house.

Can you guess why they are assuming that I can't seem to walk ANYWHERE on my own? People assuming I need help has been a problem my entire life at school and entering the world of work which seems crazy since I have walked around big cities like London on my own many times.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2017, 11:37 pm

I think they wanted to make sure that you'd get home safe. There are a lot of yahoos out past midnight on New Year's Eve, no matter what part of the world you live in.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2017, 2:27 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I think they wanted to make sure that you'd get home safe. There are a lot of yahoos out past midnight on New Year's Eve, no matter what part of the world you live in.

This.

Also, were you quite drunk? They may have showed the same level of concern for any friend who was intoxicated.

Also, could have been because they were quite intoxicated and felt that they wouldn't want to be left alone in their state so assumed you were also on the same level of needing a buddy around to ensure you got home safe. Or maybe their level of intoxication just made them overly concerned for their friends, that happens, too.

And maaaaybe they're better able to assess your susceptibility to being taken advantage of than you are? I know if I were to be with an ASD friend, whether they were drunk or sober, and I felt they were an easy target for someone to pick on while they walked home alone I'd make sure to walk with them, too. Even if it's not true and that's just what they perceive, it's very real for them and they wouldn't be able to live with themselves if they worried that something might happen to you and then it did.

Just accept their help as a friendly gesture and concern for your well being, not an insult to your ability to navigate streets independently.