Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2017, 11:16 am

We got a 4 month old beagle/jack russell mix for christmas. Ive been having lots of overload issues lately. When im feeling emotionally overwhelmed, Buddy will not leave my side until i am feeling better! Im wondering if he could be some sort of therapy dog someday.

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

Knofskia
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2017, 3:25 pm

What are you thinking, Angnix? Dogs with the right temperament can help in many ways! :heart: Are you thinking about training Buddy to offer emotional support to people in hospice care? Or are you thinking about having him offer emotional support for just you? Or are you thinking about training him to do more tasks, in addition to emotional support, to mitigate your disability?

The first one is a therapy dog,
• requires training to be comfortable in many environments with many types of people,
• and is allowed access only to places where he is invited to work.

The second one is an emotional support animal,
• requires a letter from your doctor,
• and is allowed in no-pet housing.

The third one is a service dog,
• requires training to be comfortable in many environments with many types of people and training on specific tasks/work that mitigate your disability,
• and is the only one allowed access in public areas.

Weak Emerging Social Communicator (The Social Thinking-­Social Communication Profile by Michelle Garcia Winner, Pamela Crooke and Stephanie Madrigal)

"I am silently correcting your grammar." :lol: