Why is it so hard to find a job in America?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

MSBKyle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jan 2017, 7:27 am

Finding a job is a real challenge for anyone these days. If you are autistic or have a disability, it is 10 times harder to gain employment. I know people who are not autistic who can't find jobs. There are many high schoolers that are having difficulty finding a fast food job. People have to work 2 or 3 minimum jobs just to get by. Why is it like this? Whenever I submit a job application or a resume, I never hear back from the employer. The times that I have gotten an interview for a job, I have never heard back from them. I know other people who apply for jobs and never hear back. It is so frustrating.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2017, 9:50 am

Jobs are hard to find because traditional jobs that paid well are being replaced by automation. Instead of a factory filled with people you have lots of robots and just a few people. Even more jobs are going away as they figure out how to automate things like driving cars.

ok
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Jan 2017, 10:11 am

I don't live in the USA, so I can't really participate in this discussion. But I have to say that finding a job is never easy, and it always depends on two things: 1) who you are and 2) the line of business you're in. You're going to live in Trump's Corporate America for the next four+ years, and it only means one thing: The rich are getting richer and you are getting poorer.

What kind of jobs are you applying for?

Perhaps you're applying for jobs, that a lot of other people are applying for as well. Another method is simply showing up at companies and tell them who you are, and that you're looking for a job, then hand over your resume. If you're too shy to do that, do it by email, i.e. email a company and write a short unsolicited application. A company's website usually states whether they read their unsolicited applications or not.

EmilyRyan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Jan 2017, 11:22 pm

Another question to ask is: Why won't America hire us??

I too am struggling with finding a suitable job and having a learning disability added along doesn't help matters and honestly I think it's gonna get worse and I've noticed more ableist attitudes lately about whether employers should hire us and that also goes with other disabilities as well. Like here's an example from an article I read about a week ago about an incident involving Chick-Fil-A: http://www.aol.com/article/finance/2016 ... /21644048/

The comments made in the bottom of the article are just awful and makes me think that this the direction America is heading toward. And to note the article I myself believe, if it went the way the article mentions, that it's an isolated incident and that it's the attitude of the hiring manager at fault not the entire company the Chick-Fil-A in my area actually hires the disabled and believe it or not also lgbt friendly.

Sorry if it seems like I hijacked the thread I share the same frustration and here in Tennessee it's actually gotten a bit better in finding a job providing you're NT and don't have any other disabilities. Companies are still finding ways around not hiring us here and like I said I don't think it gonna get any better :(

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

07 Jan 2017, 11:35 pm

Pretty much all jobs nowadays are ultra social service jobs, I imagine that is part of the reason it is so hard for us.

lidsmichelle
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2017, 2:09 am

I'm actually a really social person and learned to mimic the behavior of others so I actually do really well in customer service and enjoy working my retail job. If it actually paid decently I would have no problem doing it long term. Alas, it's retail lol.

Herein You Will Find Various And Numerous And Innumerable Hexes, Curses, Words In The Old Tongue To Cleave A’Twain Friend, Foe, Family Alike. If You So Choose. Money Hates Me, God Hates Me, My Wife Hates Me, My Own Hands Hate Me. But Thats All Beside The Point. The Point Is That My Time Here On Earth Runs Short. Im Not Dying But You All Are. Im A Glass Of Wine. Nothing Beats A Glass Of Wine. When The Kids Arent Home And Your A Mother Theres A Glass Of Wine There. A Glass Coffee Table And I’m A Glass Of Wine. Stressful Day When The Kids And you're Husband Then Glass Of Wine. Dark Chocolate Indulge. Petty Indulgences. When you're A Glass Of Wine And Let The Body’s Hit The Floor. When Your Glass Of Wine Is Running Short And You Say Heck What Of It. Why Dont I Have Another. Bartender I Am A Glass Of Wine. Bottoms Up And The Devil Laughs. The Bartender Remembers When It Happened. They All Remember When It Happened And If They Knew That You Dont Remember Then They Would Know That Something Is Awry Here Or So They Would Think. Something Would Be Amiss Or Smells Fishy. So Theyre All Relating There Stories Of Where They Were When That Event Happened And The Eyes Move Clockwise About The Room Where We All Share Our Glass Of Wine And Suddenly The Clock Ticks To You And They Ask The Fatal Question That Destroys Your Reputation, The Question You Could Never Answer, The Dead Giveaway: Where Were You When The Bodies Hit The Floor

EmilyRyan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Jan 2017, 6:28 pm

lidsmichelle wrote:
I'm actually a really social person and learned to mimic the behavior of others so I actually do really well in customer service and enjoy working my retail job. If it actually paid decently I would have no problem doing it long term. Alas, it's retail lol.

Same here community college has helped with some of my social skills I still have issues and such but I manage and am very fortunate to have an associates degree. Yeah I wish retail could be a little less hectic like if I can just get a job at a store doing things like sorting, processing, and/or stocking goods and the only time I deal with customers is if they need help finding something and also a schedule that's consistent and doesn't change out of nowhere if it were possible to have all that in a retail job I be alright.

LookWhoItIs
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Jan 2017, 11:48 pm

Because social skills are everything (okay maybe not everything, but close to it). If they weren't, Aspergers wouldn't be a disability.