Chicago ends year with more murders than LA, NYC combined

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

03 Jan 2017, 10:40 am

Quote:
CHICAGO -- One of the most violent years in Chicago history ended with a sobering tally: 762 homicides, the most in two decades in the city and more than New York and Los Angeles combined.

The nation’s third largest city also saw 1,100 more shooting incidents in 2016 than it did in 2015, according to data released Sunday by the Chicago Police Department. New York, the nation’s largest city, logged 334 homicides in 2016, according to the New York Daily News, while the country’s second-largest city, Los Angeles, saw 294, reports the LA Times.

The Chicago statistics underline a story of bloodshed that has put the city at the center of a national dialogue about gun violence.

The numbers are staggering, even for those who followed the steady news accounts of weekends ending with dozens of shootings and monthly death tolls that hadn’t been seen in years. The increase in homicides compared to 2015, when 485 were reported, is the largest spike in 60 years.

Police and city officials have lamented the flood of illegal guns into the city, and the crime statistics appeared to support their claims: Police recovered 8,300 illegal guns in 2016, a 20 percent increase from the previous year.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/chicago-mur ... -combined/

762 is a staggering number, my hometown Milwaukee 90 miles north also had one of the highest murder totals in its history as well but an increase from 485 to 762 is really unfathomable. Without looking at at a map of these homicides, I can guess that they are probably pretty geographically concentrated in highly segregated Chicago so the unfortunate people who do live in these bad areas are essentially living in a war zone.

Gang culture is huge and the drug game is surging with the epidemic of opiate addiction, I've known quite a few people who have died of overdoses and most of my peers back home used drugs. There is a misery living in these places, I can't speak for Chicago but where I lived there just was no hope of things ever getting better and you felt trapped and you were in a lot of ways by design. I got out but I was more fortunate than most, I think about it often how impossible it would be for people in other circumstances. People don't even know better; they live up to the expectations and environment around them so if all they see is substance abuse, violence, and hopeless idleness then that will be the norm.

How do you fix this, how do you reach these people, it seems like so many people are doomed just the nature of their birth which is not how it is supposed to be in this country. People need more than a government handout, they need a moral and spiritual compass which I feel society lacks and I say this as a 'non-believer'. Bringing back jobs, bettering schools, and making our streets safe are things that need to be done but for real change to take root then we need a cultural awakening as well. It was the norm for many of my peers to not have relations with their fathers, their parents weren't married, and a lot of the time they didn't work or were some sort of functional addict. I remember school being basically a holding pen, daycare, just a free hot meal for a lot, but it did not do very much educating. It was not a safe environment, it was not a teachable environment, it was basically like prison lock downs and all.

ZenDen
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2017, 12:44 pm

Good old Chicago. When I was small we lived 2 "city blocks" (8 blocks to a mile) from Wrigley Field...everyone was a "Cubbie" fan.

I also worked and lived throughout the area until '83. And spent a fair amount of time in the city proper, including the West and South sides. Things were always bad but I believe since Obama sent his Chief of Staff Rahm Emanual to take over Chicago for him as mayor, things have become dramatically worse. Killings and crime are way up. Why??? Police seem to be under instructions not to do anything....I wonder if this will change now that obama and clinton have lost?

And why is the University of California giving away entrance positions in it's most prestigious universities to foreign students (30% at Berkeley and USC). Why would you let Middle Eastern (Arab)students (children of politicians etc.) into our schools and turn away qualified U.S. citizens? Oh, that's right...part of Obama's "legacy."

Obama created this when the California democrats, at Obama's request, made his Homeland Security head, Janet Napolitano, president of the entire California University system (to give it all away to his "oil masters" it seems). And this continues on today.

P.S. I always enjoyed Wisconsin more than Illinois. And my folks lived up there for a while in Milwaukee...out on Lovers Lane Rd. :D

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2017, 10:59 pm

Not Chicago with all those wonderful life saving draconian gun laws!! !! !
8-O

feral botanist
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2017, 11:20 pm

Jacoby wrote:

How do you fix this, how do you reach these people, it seems like so many people are doomed just the nature of their birth which is not how it is supposed to be in this country. People need more than a government handout, they need a moral and spiritual compass which I feel society lacks and I say this as a 'non-believer'. Bringing back jobs, bettering schools, and making our streets safe are things that need to be done but for real change to take root then we need a cultural awakening as well. It was the norm for many of my peers to not have relations with their fathers, their parents weren't married, and a lot of the time they didn't work or were some sort of functional addict. I remember school being basically a holding pen, daycare, just a free hot meal for a lot, but it did not do very much educating. It was not a safe environment, it was not a teachable environment, it was basically like prison lock downs and all.

You raise a really good question.

How do we bring about a change?

But as a nation, we can not even seem to agree on what that change should be.

Where do we go from here?

ZenDen
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2017, 11:20 am

Raptor wrote:
Not Chicago with all those wonderful life saving draconian gun laws!! ! ! !
8-O

The original gun laws were ignored by many. Disdain was created by the fact people that were "connected" had no trouble carrying a gun legally while the populace was supposed to do without. If you were white this generally posed little problem as police would regularly "give you a pass" on all types of minor offences. If you were black (or Latino) having a firearm meant big bumps on your head (maybe even a bullet too) and an express ticket to the "pokey."

Why are things so much worse since obama installed Rahm Emanuel as the mayor?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2017, 8:01 pm

When hasn't Chicago been plagued with violence? Whether it was gang wars - along with unintended casualties - fought for supremacy in illegal booze production and sales back in Al Capone's day, or street gangs fighting over turf in their illegal drug business, this has been going on for a long, long time.

ZenDen
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2017, 12:01 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
When hasn't Chicago been plagued with violence? Whether it was gang wars - along with unintended casualties - fought for supremacy in illegal booze production and sales back in Al Capone's day, or street gangs fighting over turf in their illegal drug business, this has been going on for a long, long time.

Yes Bill, a very long time. I lived in the environs for over 40 years so I doubt you'll surprise me with anything new.

But 762 is a very large number....larger than New York and LA combined. Up 50% or so over last year. Why????...perhaps there are more drugs coming into the city recently?

A good administration wouldn't let this continue, but they have...or perhaps you don't agree? Such things were accomplished in the past...it's not new science...why don't obama/emanual do something about it? If obama can spend 4 million of the government's (our) money to play a round of golf they should be able to begin solving the problems.

Like you say it's nothing new...so why don't they do something about it?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2017, 1:03 pm

ZenDen wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Yes Bill, a very long time. I lived in the environs for over 40 years so I doubt you'll surprise me with anything new.

But 762 is a very large number....larger than New York and LA combined. Up 50% or so over last year. Why????...perhaps there are more drugs coming into the city recently?

A good administration wouldn't let this continue, but they have...or perhaps you don't agree? Such things were accomplished in the past...it's not new science...why don't obama/emanual do something about it? If obama can spend 4 million of the government's (our) money to play a round of golf they should be able to begin solving the problems.

Who are you going to blame when things don't get any better under Trump?

ZenDen
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2017, 11:48 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
ZenDen wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Quote:
Who are you going to blame when things don't get any better under Trump?[/

Unless I have things turned around it's the mayor (and in this case, his boss) who make the decisions concerning a particular city....no? This is followed by the responsibilities of the State government, not the Federal. But, of course, this year, with things arranged the way they are, I fully expect, that as things continue to crash in Chicago, all of the foolish Democrats will try blaming it on Trump.....just watch (I expect you already are :D ).

Maybe the locals will get smart and kick out the Chicago Democratic Machine? But the system of control via alderman will be hard to change in today's society...wouldn't you agree?

But if you're talking about the national scene then my answer would be: I'll have to see how far the Democrats take their protests in relation to hampering Trumps efforts. I expect there to be many traitorous people who, in the name of their party and their warped definition of right-and-wrong, will try to hamper all of Trump's efforts....wouldn't you agree?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2017, 7:21 pm

ZenDen wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
ZenDen wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Quote:

Unless I have things turned around it's the mayor (and in this case, his boss) who make the decisions concerning a particular city....no? This is followed by the responsibilities of the State government, not the Federal. But, of course, this year, with things arranged the way they are, I fully expect, that as things continue to crash in Chicago, all of the foolish Democrats will try blaming it on Trump.....just watch (I expect you already are :D ).

Maybe the locals will get smart and kick out the Chicago Democratic Machine? But the system of control via alderman will be hard to change in today's society...wouldn't you agree?

But if you're talking about the national scene then my answer would be: I'll have to see how far the Democrats take their protests in relation to hampering Trumps efforts. I expect there to be many traitorous people who, in the name of their party and their warped definition of right-and-wrong, will try to hamper all of Trump's efforts....wouldn't you agree?

Kind of like how the right did everything to hamper Obama?

ZenDen
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2017, 1:41 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
ZenDen wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
ZenDen wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Quote:

Kind of, but in a different manner. Whereas Republicans tried to hamper many of Obama's efforts to thereby gain some particular goal using their majority in House and Senate, the Democrats are using every trick of media manipulation possible to discredit everything Trump does before he even does it. Not nearly and the Democrats are in a panic knowing the Republican "power position" plus the upcoming 2 or 3 Supreme Court vacancies will put a real "link" in their plans.

So they employ a disagreable tactic, much as the Republicans had done. What did you expect? They're just all a bunch of self-serving politicians.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2017, 3:56 am

ZenDen wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
ZenDen wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
ZenDen wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Quote:

Kind of, but in a different manner. Whereas Republicans tried to hamper many of Obama's efforts to thereby gain some particular goal using their majority in House and Senate, the Democrats are using every trick of media manipulation possible to discredit everything Trump does before he even does it. Not nearly and the Democrats are in a panic knowing the Republican "power position" plus the upcoming 2 or 3 Supreme Court vacancies will put a real "link" in their plans.

So they employ a disagreable tactic, much as the Republicans had done. What did you expect? They're just all a bunch of self-serving politicians.

Yes, most politicians are self serving, I will agree with that. But media investigations, even if partisan, can still be legitimate, and I think they are with the charges against Trump.

ZenDen
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2017, 11:25 am

What does that ^^^ mean Bill?

Quote:
But media investigations, even if partisan, can still be legitimate,

You seem to be saying you recognize newspapers will "bend" (if you will) the news toward their favorite candidate (or against those they oppose) and then print/broadcast this as the absolute God's own truth, and you can still think of this as "legitimate?"

I admit I can't understand your reasoning, except that you seem to have an extreme and obvious personal bias against Trump...which, obviously, has nothing to do with the truth, just your personal prejudices.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2017, 1:07 pm

ZenDen wrote:
Good old Chicago. When I was small we lived 2 "city blocks" (8 blocks to a mile) from Wrigley Field...everyone was a "Cubbie" fan.

Raptor wrote:
Not Chicago with all those wonderful life saving draconian gun laws!! ! ! !
8-O

From the outer reaches of still-undeveloped, greater Los Angeles, sportswear used to show gang affiliation.

But, it was supposed to display civic pride (when gang culture was being exported, to my area.)

Some called themselves militia (with a Spanish accent, over the "i".)

Quote:
pol·i·ty
ˈpälətē/
noun
noun: polity; plural noun: polities

a form or process of civil government or constitution.
an organized society; a state as a political entity.

They are just another protection racket, in another kind of uniform.

Their demands, if you follow those too closely, are along the lines of self sufficiency and political autonomy. So, it could be discussed in terms of a secession movement, of disaffected people.

feral botanist
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2017, 2:02 pm

ZenDen wrote:

Quote:

You seem to be saying you recognize newspapers will "bend" (if you will) the news toward their favorite candidate (or against those they oppose) and then print/broadcast this as the absolute God's own truth, and you can still think of this as "legitimate?"

I admit I can't understand your reasoning, except that you seem to have an extreme and obvious personal bias against Trump...which, obviously, has nothing to do with the truth, just your personal prejudices.

You seem to forget, that the majority of the voting public has a similar bias as Bill.

ZenDen
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2017, 3:19 pm

feral botanist wrote:
ZenDen wrote:

Quote:

You seem to forget, that the majority of the voting public has a similar bias as Bill.

Except we don't really know all the reasons people voted Hillary. It may have been many didn't like Trump or it may have been they were just taken because she was a woman (she sure pushed that angle hard enough). Plus any of many reasons. But in part you'd certainly be correct because the Democrats spent millions on publicity to make you think so.

But the telling blow to Hillary came when we discovered her cheating ways through wikilinks. OH, that's right, we weren't supposed to know that so it doesn't count because the Russians didn't find anything bad to publish about Trump. What a bunch of total idiotic hogwash. They found out about her lying ways because she LIED. But they've fooled part of the public into believing her cheating ways aren't important in this debate. Are you one of those people?

Hopefully she will be prosecuted along with her leacher husband. Maybe her loyal followers will break her out of jail?