Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

KatyKat_721
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Jan 2017, 3:33 pm

Hey, so, I'm looking to become vegan, and I'm looking for resources and ideas. Also, I eat gluten free for health reasons (not celiac, but intolerance) and I'm worried about trying to merge those two diets. I've been vegetarian for about threeish years now, and I'm ready to take the next step and go vegan, but I want to have done a lot of research before I just jump into it. Anyone think they can help me out with ideas and stuff? Thanks!

voidofcontext
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Jan 2017, 6:25 pm

I try to keep a vegan diet myself, there isn't too much difference in the level of care you have to take with veganism vs being gluten free.

Tonight I made burgers using sweetcorn, chickpeas, a little flour (gluten free for you of course), salt, pepper and bit of spice to taste. smooshed all together and fried for 10 minutes.

It can be tricky at first but don't beat yourself up if you slip. There are loads of great online resources!

screen_name
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2017, 6:37 pm

I've been a vegan (not now). When I was vegan, I was a raw food vegan. There are a lot of resources and books out there for that, but I liked to keep it simple.

Also, green smoothies are awesome.

(I'm not currently a vegan or even a vegetarian, though I was a vegetarian for most of my life.)

I have been diagnosed with Aspergers and MERLD
I have significant chronic medical conditions as well

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2017, 9:58 am

I've been vegan now for about 3 months going on 4 months. My resources actually came from a vegan fest I attended last summer. I even picked up a vegan starter guide and everything so I made sure between that and other research to learn everything I had to know about veganism that way I wouldn't become THAT person who goes vegan, screws themselves up and then says "veganism is unhealthy blablabla".

The best thing to do is like I said to do careful research to make sure you get all your nutrients. Youtubers can be useful like Emily the bite sized vegan or Vegan Gains but you have to remember that they are still just youtubers at the end of the day and while they can be resourceful you still have to do your own research :P

The 42nd Doctor
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Nov 2018, 7:25 pm

I’m vegan and gluten intolerant and it’s not that hard. For breakfast I generally have fruit and toast or if I have time I’ll occasionally make gf and vegan waffles/pancakes or tofu scramble. For lunch and dinner 90% of the time I have either gf pasta with tomato sauce (both store bought items are generally vegan), salad, soup (check the ingredients if it’s not homemade since many have wheat and/or dairy), or rice with vegetables. Go online and look at recipes; there are so many and it’s not as time consuming, expensive, or difficult as most people think it is.

fifasy
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2018, 5:21 pm

A vegan I respect a lot who's a health guru recommends taking a Vitamin B12 supplement. Quite a lot of people who try a vegan diet experience feelings of weakness and weak muscles because of a Vitamin B12 deficiency. The best sources of B12 are fish, meat, eggs and milk so it's difficult for vegans though some foods like cereals have it added. With a supplement, it shouldn't matter though.

An EPA DHA supplement might be good too, something else he recommends. EPA and DHA are fatty acids that are part of Omega 3. Most people eat fish and fish are a good source of these but obviously vegans can't. It's not actually the fish that give people the benefit though, it's the algae the fish have consumed so you can get a supplement that's vegan made out of algae.

There are Omega 3 sources that are vegan such as flax seeds and walnuts but the vegan sources contain less of some of the beneficial fatty acids in Omega 3 than fish and fish oils. That's why that supplement is sometimes recommended for vegans.

(This link has more information: https://tonic.vice.com/en_us/article/gq ... vegan-diet)

MannyBoo
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2018, 3:58 pm

You should become Vegan for the 3 main reasons balanced together (your health, animal rights, environment) so you will succeed in being Vegan long-term

For your health reason, I recommend read Dr. Michael Greger’s book HOW NOT TO DIE, check his YouTube channel NutritionFacts.org, and watch Dr. Colin Campbell’s movie “Forks Over Knives.”

For animal rights reason, I recommend read Peter Singer’s book ANIMAL LIBERATION, and watch Joaquin Phoenix’s movie “Earthlings.”

For environmental reason, I recommend read Richard Oppenlander’s book COMFORTABLY UNAWARE, and watch the movie “Cowspiracy.”

The above are just a start, and there are many more resources: books, movies, channels, websites, and people.

Good luck in your journey to a better way.

Techna01
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Dec 2018, 12:15 pm

I was vegetarian for 3 years till I ended up being animeaic as I have eating disorder for a very long time now . So my family forced me to eat everything for a while. Now after 2 years I am all good and it's been two months since I decided to become vegan at 17. Since then I am trying to stick to healty green vegetables, fruits and nuts. For me it's easier to be vegan because I always liked light good as it do not cause digestion problems. As a matter of fact I usually prefer food that are good and healty for the brain rather than concerning over food good for health and body.