: Generation : definitions . Millenials ? X ? Boomers ?

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2017, 5:47 pm

...: Baby Boomer : used to be much more tightly defined , as about 1946-1950 , not 1946-1964 . I remember , around the early 80s??, talking to my parents (definitely World War II?Greatest Generation) parents about me (born 1960) and my brother (1962) being : baby boomers : and they laughed !
A concept called : Genaration Jones : , referring to late-end Boomers and early Gen-Xers , never quite caught on .
It was a novel by the Canadian writer Douglas Coupland called : GENERATION X : which popularized : that : meaning o the phrase (It had been used iin other senses earlier) . It counted Gen-X as staring in 1958 ! That might be : Generation Jones : , perhaps...
Actually , there,s now a bit of an anti-Baby Boomers backlash going on , I saw this political columnist calling - even if sorta jokingly - Boomers : the worst generatioon ever : . He was rather a ploitical liberal and , in fact , his complaint was rather that , contrary to their hippie image , Boomers voted in favor of nixon ,72 , Reagan , both bushes and I guess Trump , if his column came out after the election .
Was the columnist Dana Milbank ?
This was really meant to be an addition to the : millenials : linne but I pushed the wrong button , and I,m on this little tablet ,/ I can;t/don;t want to rewrite it ,

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

screen_name
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2017, 6:40 pm

What?

I have been diagnosed with Aspergers and MERLD
I have significant chronic medical conditions as well

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2017, 7:22 pm

Baby Boomer, usually, refer to people born from 1946 to 1964.

MoatsArt
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Jan 2017, 3:40 am

What's the purpose of giving a generation a label?

I think it can be a useful generalisation if there is some broad differences between adjacent generations or age groups. The two key words here are "generalisation" and "differences". The differences in this context are cultural and primarily relate to shared beliefs and shared values. These differences are generalisations because there will always be those who conservatively take on the values and beliefs of their parents and others who are counter-cultural. Additionally, there will obviously be fuzzy lines between these labelled generations. Culture is a continuum, not a dichotomy.

A benefit of a label is that it captures a concept. It can help one generation understand another.

In one sense, the baby boomers were born over a few short years, the blooming of young-marrieds in a world suddenly infused with hope again after the horrors and deprivations of WW2. This window of procreation should be distinguished from a culturally descriptive term.

So, what years of birth outline the cultural baby-boomers? This would require an analysis of culture over a period of time, focusing on when a particular generation came of age. What do you think? Can a line be drawn? If so, when? What are the cultural characteristics of each generation?