Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

cosmicXYZ
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Jan 2017, 4:01 pm

I think it's highly likely that I have AS/ASD, but the thing that was bugging me was that I've never had anything I would call a meltdown. I do respond unusually to being overwhelmed, though. I tend to stiffen and stay in the position I'm in, avoid any eye contact, and stop speaking completely. While this happens, I'm aware of what's going on, but I feel like I cannot speak and my mind is just blank. I've read recently that this would be called a shutdown and is also related to ASD. Anyone else who experiences this? :?

This_Amoeba
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2017, 4:21 pm

I was told more introverted people have shut downs. When I was a child, instead of having meltdowns I would hide in the closet, toybox or under the bed, which I've been told are shut downs. In my teens I started having more "melt downs" instead, I would slam my head into walls, throw things around and scream.

CenturioAlpha
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Jan 2017, 4:37 pm

I think I know what you're talking about. A similar thing happens to me, though I'm not sure if it counts as a true shutdown. I think I'm having the same experiences you describe here though.

This happens to me when I get some kind of overload in a quick succession. A sudden loud sound or onset of emotion triggers in me what you're describing here. It never lasts longer than 15 seconds or so in me though, which is why I'm not sure if it counts as a shutdown. From my understanding, shutdowns last a lot longer.

Generally, when a triggering event is isolated and sudden, I get what you're describing. When anxiety builds over longer periods of time with multiple triggers, I meltdown. I tend to meltdown violently. "Go ballistic" is what it's described as. Never had a (shutdown?) experience like you're describing for more than 15 seconds though, but I do get what you're talking about.

Ashariel
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2017, 4:56 pm

I've had shutdowns like that, at times when I'm so overwhelmed I just go blank, and can't move or react.

I don't have stereotypical meltdowns either. In situations where others might meltdown from overstimulation, I tend to just shake and cry silently and huddle in the corner, hugging myself.

cosmicXYZ
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Jan 2017, 4:59 pm

Ashariel wrote:
I've had shutdowns like that, at times when I'm so overwhelmed I just go blank, and can't move or react.

I don't have stereotypical meltdowns either. In situations where others might meltdown from overstimulation, I tend to just shake and cry silently and huddle in the corner, hugging myself.

Yeah, I tend to react like that too.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2017, 5:14 pm

cosmicXYZ wrote:
I think it's highly likely that I have AS/ASD, but the thing that was bugging me was that I've never had anything I would call a meltdown. I do respond unusually to being overwhelmed, though. I tend to stiffen and stay in the position I'm in, avoid any eye contact, and stop speaking completely. While this happens, I'm aware of what's going on, but I feel like I cannot speak and my mind is just blank. I've read recently that this would be called a shutdown and is also related to ASD. Anyone else who experiences this? :?

The experiences you described are fairly common for me.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

selflessness
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Jan 2017, 5:36 pm

I also shutdown whenever people expect too much of me.

rats_and_cats
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2017, 10:22 pm

I also rarely have meltdowns. I usually respond to sensory issues with a shutdown exactly as you described (unless it's my a**hole neighbor, then I throw a pillow at the wall :P). Maybe it's because of my gender, but I'll often cry during a shutdown, sometimes even openly sob. I have had meltdowns, but they're due to long-term stress and always happen at home or in my dorm room. I tend to curse, bite myself, and throw/rip things until I wear myself out. Which is why I have a single room in college.

MarkJ
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Jan 2017, 7:47 am

I would say I tend to have shutdowns rather than meltdowns too. Often I just need to be alone and gather and process my thoughts.

Regarding what OP specifically describes I'm more like that in large(ish) group situations and loud environments.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2017, 8:53 am

I have had more shutdowns like you described than meltdowns.