Not sure I 'get' social media sometimes

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

crystaltermination
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2017, 2:00 pm

Didn't really know where to put this. Signed up to the Twitter site some months ago, and of late certain users with remarkably similar... er, interests have taken to 're-tweeting' my own comments, some bland ones about charities and my own studies, basically. They've never contacted me in any way before however, and absolutely don't appear to follow or retain any of my own interests (I'm on there to follow some science and climate change campaigners).
Anyway, not sure if I'm reading too much into it, or am missing some nefarious reason behind this behaviour; they both 're-tweet' a lot, but have no strong followings themselves. Are they simply marking people's profiles this way so as to make them visible to third parties on their own feeds, e.g. scammers, or is this just some sort of Twitter mentality? Hm.

EclecticWarrior
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2017, 10:20 pm

If they have no profile pic and/or no original content on their page, chances are it's a bot.

WP's most sparkling member.

DX classic autism 1995, AS 2003, depression 2008

~INFP~

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2017, 10:53 pm

I also have trouble getting social media. I just go on Facebook to play games.

crystaltermination
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2017, 4:24 pm

EclecticWarrior wrote:
If they have no profile pic and/or no original content on their page, chances are it's a bot.

They could be I suppose, if it weren't for all of the overtly sexual content on their profiles! A little disappointed with Twitter. As someone who watches a lot of news daily it's a good way to be kept up to date with what's going on in the world, but occasionally it feels like some kind of social media mosh pit. :/

CockneyRebel wrote:
I also have trouble getting social media. I just go on Facebook to play games.

I used to play a lot of their games too.:) These days though I mostly use facebook to keep in contact with my siblings.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2017, 5:20 pm

No idea.. I've never used twitter. I created an account once only because it was impossible to buy a ticket to a local TEDx event without logging in via a twitter handle. Personally, I see twitter as a way to advertise a business, and since I'm not promoting myself or anything I see no reason to use it.

I do use Facebook, though. It's the only one I use. I like it for interacting with friends, seeing what people are up to, sharing some things, organizing events etc. Can't be bothered to play games on there or anywhere else, though, as I don't play video games.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2017, 2:56 pm

I use Facebook, but mainly just to display my drawings, crafts, and upload screenshots of mobile video games like Animal Crossing NL or The Sims Freeplay. And play Facebook games, but I don't do that much now.

I've blocked out most of the garbage on Facebook, like posts of "inspirational" messages with those stupid Minions, or people pushing their beliefs about religion, politics, or child-raising, and ordering you to "like" if you agree.

And then there's those stupid "98% will get this wrong" puzzles. :roll:

crystaltermination
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2017, 3:37 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
No idea.. I've never used twitter. I created an account once only because it was impossible to buy a ticket to a local TEDx event without logging in via a twitter handle. Personally, I see twitter as a way to advertise a business, and since I'm not promoting myself or anything I see no reason to use it.

I do use Facebook, though. It's the only one I use. I like it for interacting with friends, seeing what people are up to, sharing some things, organizing events etc. Can't be bothered to play games on there or anywhere else, though, as I don't play video games.

My sister said something similar about Twitter being best for promoting professional interests; I do like the layout better than facebook, though.
lostonearth35 wrote:
I use Facebook, but mainly just to display my drawings, crafts, and upload screenshots of mobile video games like Animal Crossing NL or The Sims Freeplay. And play Facebook games, but I don't do that much now.

I've blocked out most of the garbage on Facebook, like posts of "inspirational" messages with those stupid Minions, or people pushing their beliefs about religion, politics, or child-raising, and ordering you to "like" if you agree.

And then there's those stupid "98% will get this wrong" puzzles. :roll:

This is what I found with facebook after a while; the games I used to play on there were a good way to waste time even if they spam everyone, but they get tiresome quickly. My aunt is funnily the worst culprit for those 'like this post to show your support' things on my feed. Also hate those minions. The films were ok, though. :D

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2017, 4:03 pm

I get follow requests on instagram from fake accounts like that. If they're overtly sexual I always assume they are scammers and report them.

I heard a report on the radio a couple of weeks ago about guys getting scammed by cyberblackmail because thy think a real woman is trying to get to know them and then (well she is really, she's just not really interested in getting to know him) she convinces him to do something sexual, records it and blackmail him with it. Though they didn't say how the guys came across these scammers this is probably an entry.

Btw if this happens to anyone, don't pay up. Contact the police.

crystaltermination
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2017, 6:08 pm

hurtloam wrote:
I get follow requests on instagram from fake accounts like that. If they're overtly sexual I always assume they are scammers and report them.

I heard a report on the radio a couple of weeks ago about guys getting scammed by cyberblackmail because thy think a real woman is trying to get to know them and then (well she is really, she's just not really interested in getting to know him) she convinces him to do something sexual, records it and blackmail him with it. Though they didn't say how the guys came across these scammers this is probably an entry.

Btw if this happens to anyone, don't pay up. Contact the police.

Good advice, problems arise quickly using social media. I've blocked those two on Twitter now, won't try to understand them and will just keep an eye out for similar accounts. On facebook I've got a few online artist friends who've had their original art stolen on there; the thieves copy the image as a poor quality, over-pixelated version and then sell it to third parties who print it out cheaply. Flaming cretins. :/