Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Aspinator
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2017, 3:14 pm

I really can't say what has prompted me to finally admit that I do have HFA. I realized my whole life I have been playing a game of pretending to be normal. When I look back upon my life I can see the only person I was fooling was myself. Maybe I might be a little old to have such an awakening but it is what it is. I attributed others behavior towards me as part of life instead of maybe they could detect something about me on an unconscious level
I am not going to run out in the street and shout I am autistic but I am not going to deny what I really am anymore. Has anyone else went through such an experience?

PIgeek
Raven
Raven

06 Jan 2017, 4:23 pm

hi, yes.
i think i might be autistic but i am not sure. i have ADHD and learning disability. people think i am weird and often avoid me because i, in some way, bother them and it is a problem for me because i'd like to have a better social life and i tried to seem more "ordinary", but i thought "hey, why? it is me, thet's all!"
i won't change just because "normal" people think that i am not like them. anyone is different.

and the white knight is talking backwards
and the red queen is off with her head
remember what the dormouse said
feed your head, feed your head"

White rabbit -
Jefferson Airplane

Aspinator
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2017, 5:34 pm

I could give a rat what others think of me so this is for myself. I hid behind a college degree and working swing shifts. I also hid behind drug use and alcohol use. As long as I was using I could always find someone to drink or smoke with. BTW, I have been sober for many years. I have also always been in good physical condition and I never had a problem finding temporary companionship. I realized I never let someone get too close as they might see the real me.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2017, 6:50 pm

Aspinator wrote:
I really can't say what has prompted me to finally admit that I do have HFA. I realized my whole life I have been playing a game of pretending to be normal. When I look back upon my life I can see the only person I was fooling was myself. Maybe I might be a little old to have such an awakening but it is what it is. I attributed others behavior towards me as part of life instead of maybe they could detect something about me on an unconscious level
I am not going to run out in the street and shout I am autistic but I am not going to deny what I really am anymore. Has anyone else went through such an experience?

I was diagnosed at 55 went through that and my "coming out" policy is similar to yours. There really was nothing we could have done about it because for most of our lives there was no way to know we were autistic. The understanding of "mild" autism was just not there, even more so for us adults. We have something that generations before never had and many of our own generation will not have. We are going to die knowing who we really are.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman