Made a stupid decision about a school project...Now what?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Holden14
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 Jan 2017, 4:07 pm

For school I have to write a 6000 word research based essay in 6 months and then present it. 3 months ago I chose a topic relating to AS because it interested me, and I chose it impulsively. One of my parents is an in-denial Aspie and the other thinks I place too much weight on my condition, so I haven't told either of them what my project is. I think they know it's something to do with developmental disorders including Autism, but they don't know that Autism is the focus of the project. Recently I've been worrying a LOT about how they'll feel about my project, whether they'll find out what it is, etc. I've considered choosing a different research topic but there's no way I'd be able to catch up on all the work. I've been worrying about this for so long that I think I may have blown it out of proportion so it'd be useful to know: does this sound like a very big problem to you guys or just a small inconvenience? I doubt my parents will be angry but I have no idea how they will feel or react to my project. I'm unsure whether I should bluntly tell them my chosen research project (and if so, how) or just hope they don't ever find out? Thanks.

rats_and_cats
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2017, 4:10 pm

Maybe your research will change their minds. I went through a similar dilemma about a nonfiction essay I was writing about the brony fandom. I thought the professor would laugh in my face. She actually found it fascinating and said that it changed her mind about adult animation fans. So, do your best with it and you may be surprised.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2017, 4:12 pm

What class is this for? What do ypu mean by research? What do you have to research? Actual people or is the research part reading books at the library?

Holden14

08 Jan 2017, 4:46 pm

rats_and_cats wrote:
Maybe your research will change their minds. I went through a similar dilemma about a nonfiction essay I was writing about the brony fandom. I thought the professor would laugh in my face. She actually found it fascinating and said that it changed her mind about adult animation fans. So, do your best with it and you may be surprised.

Thank you for your support, I bet your project was cool :)

Holden14

08 Jan 2017, 4:48 pm

hurtloam wrote:
What class is this for? What do ypu mean by research? What do you have to research? Actual people or is the research part reading books at the library?

It's not for a class exactly, it's basically an essay which counts as half a subject's credit which everyone at school has to do. Part of an extra-curricular program my school is trying to run I think. The research is reading books and online papers or studies. :)

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2017, 4:51 pm

Holden14 wrote:
hurtloam wrote:

It's not for a class exactly, it's basically an essay which counts as half a subject's credit which everyone at school has to do. Part of an extra-curricular program my school is trying to run I think. The research is reading books and online papers or studies. :)

Ah well if you're not studying any person in particular it should be ok. I was imagining a scenario like in the film I don't buy kisses any more where Tres bases her research paper on Jason Alexander's character. Then he finds out 8O

Holden14

08 Jan 2017, 5:07 pm

hurtloam wrote:
Holden14 wrote:
hurtloam wrote:

Ah well if you're not studying any person in particular it should be ok. I was imagining a scenario like in the film I don't buy kisses any more where Tres bases her research paper on Jason Alexander's character. Then he finds out 8O

Haha I haven't seen that film but that sounds like an awkward situation :lol: Thank you for the reassurance :)