Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2017, 9:44 pm

Dear_one wrote:
For most of my life, AS just wasn't an available diagnosis. Our only hope was to avoid a misdiagnosis. I remember one interview where I saw the guy starting to make up his mind, so I changed my personality to confuse him and avoid getting drugged. No professional wants to discover a condition they can't "cure"...

I used to joke about interviewing psychiatrists and such, and yes, what else could I do while looking for self-awareness and help during those days when nobody knew our deal?

As to humor: I think it is great when we can all laugh at ourselves together, so any book containing so-called "autistic humor" would have to be written in such a way that everyone who reads it can "get it" and enjoy it right along with anyone else. Consider: I know of a man who once brushed up against a freshly-painted door jamb while carrying some trash from a house under construction. Said the painter, "Hey! Watch what you are doing!" Said the man, "What? What's wrong?" Said the painter, "Look at your shirt..." Said the man, "Oh, it's okay. I got my old clothes on." I do not know what diagnosis either of those two might have had, but neither of them ever had a laugh over that.

PeteMaguire
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Jan 2017, 3:22 am

mered288 wrote:
This is a very touchy subject for some people. Many people on the spectrum were bullied in school. Children and adults laughed AT me and my social blunders. I did not think it was funny. I was confused, frustrated and overwhelmed. Why was it acceptable to laugh at my disability but not laugh when a kid with CP falls over? I never understood jokes as a child and when people were laughing I feared I was the but of someone's joke (because it happened frequently). I would be afraid any book about Autism and humor would be full of stories caregivers found funny.

I take your point here very seriously and I think it is a very good one. It is hard for me to clarify how this wouldn't be the case. I think it is something that I would be watching out for at all times. Maybe it is not 'humor' per say that I am talking about, but perhaps incidents where children bridge the gap between communication problems. No one laughs at the child I look after, they play together, they share moments that are surreal, mindblowing, tender, and way more advanced than any therapist could ever set up or instigate. This is what I am trying to look at, I think I am in a way formulating (out in public...) what exactly I am trying to say. Thanks for your response. Take care

PeteMaguire
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Jan 2017, 3:50 am

leejosepho wrote:
Dear_one wrote:
For most of my life, AS just wasn't an available diagnosis. Our only hope was to avoid a misdiagnosis. I remember one interview where I saw the guy starting to make up his mind, so I changed my personality to confuse him and avoid getting drugged. No professional wants to discover a condition they can't "cure"...

I used to joke about interviewing psychiatrists and such, and yes, what else could I do while looking for self-awareness and help during those days when nobody knew our deal?

As to humor: I think it is great when we can all laugh at ourselves together, so any book containing so-called "autistic humor" would have to be written in such a way that everyone who reads it can "get it" and enjoy it right along with anyone else. Consider: I know of a man who once brushed up against a freshly-painted door jamb while carrying some trash from a house under construction. Said the painter, "Hey! Watch what you are doing!" Said the man, "What? What's wrong?" Said the painter, "Look at your shirt..." Said the man, "Oh, it's okay. I got my old clothes on." I do not know what diagnosis either of those two might have had, but neither of them ever had a laugh over that.

For some reason, that story is quite hilarious, yet I don't know why?!

I agree with you and I think this seems a common fear - who is going to laugh at who... I suppose the thing that triggered my thoughts on this project were the moments when the child I look after laughs. To see him creased up in laughter is just the best thing ever - especially considering that a lot of things that are straightforward for other kids are very difficult for him to understand - or to be more honest - accept. Schools are nutty institutions based on, in many cases, archaic rules to control and program children! But when he laughs and I laugh - in my head I'm thinking, this is going bloody well now. Sometimes it is his own behaviour we are laughing at, sometimes it's mine. I guess when I look over a lot of instances it will be clear what is it that is key - possibly it is my joy in acting the fool and his release in being able to laugh at one. I'll work it out as I go along, but definitely we need to laugh at ourselves - we are but a speck of dust on a speck of dust!

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2017, 8:49 am

PeteMaguire wrote:
I suppose the thing that triggered my thoughts on this project were the moments when the child I look after laughs... Sometimes it is his own behaviour we are laughing at, sometimes it's mine...possibly it is my joy in acting the fool and his release in being able to laugh at one.

There you go. Never have a laugh at his expense while giving him laughs at your expense so he can possible eventually even laugh at himself.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2017, 9:08 am

I can't think of anything that signifies friendship nearly as well as general agreement over what is funny. The more we laugh together, the more bonded I feel. The freedom to act silly at times without being misunderstood is what I seek.