Anime characters who have ASD characteristics

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Scheimaa
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

11 Jan 2017, 10:33 am

so i was watching Fune wo Amu and the main character just clearly have autism.

if you are an anime fan then you know that anime is usually adapted from manga, and usually there is one person how write the story and draw the manga, so i thought maybe if he have autism or know someone who have it he will write a character that shows some ASD characteristics, without knowing because they often can be undiagnosed.

i am interested to see if there is other characters in anime or manga how show some ASD characteristics and the characters you relate to.

for me this is the small list i made

Mitsuya Majime from Fune wo Amu
his social skills are very poor, and is good with observing detail ..

Kazuya Shibuya - naru - from ghost hunt

he has a very logical way of thinking, appears to have a cold personality, but the emotions are there, he dosen't show it, not in the same way others do, his work is every thing he have in life.

Kyouya Hibari from Katekyo Hitman Reborn!

he prefers to be alone and cares little for his subordinates but have a bird as his pet, sounds more like he has a schizoid personality actually.

and here is some characters i relate to even although they are males

Takashi Natsume from my favorite anime Natsume Yuujinchou

quiet and calm person i just like him :)

Fujiwara Takumi from Initial D

shy and is often Spacing out but is also a determined person.

sorry if what i write sounds weird, English isn't my first language.

I would like to know the characters you relate to, and characters you think may have asd characteristics.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2017, 3:07 am

Oh, a comment on Fune wo Amu, I guess I can see it.
My go to character for having ASD is Tomoko Kuroki from Watamote, she feels in a number of ways I would be like if I was a girl.

Hifumi from New Game might be a good pick, she has trouble speaking to the point she talks to new persona via message rather than face to face, and she looks rather cold is quite note.

Chizuru Hishiro from ReLIFE might also be a good pick, she is very smart but her blank face with her lack of social skills make her look cold to people, like she looks down on them, when really she has trouble.

These are some recent ones I think.

Scheimaa

22 Jan 2017, 6:56 pm

Bradleigh wrote:
These are some recent ones I think.

hahaha ... what a coincidence today a friend told me that Chizuru Hishiro reminds her of me.
although it was funny to watch Tomoko Kuroki it was funny in a bitter way, i do not know the other character, but what about the one in your avatar picture?
i think there is a lot of characters like these in anime, may be a lot of mangaka have asd ?

A_noobish_noob
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Jan 2017, 7:07 pm

2 of these fall into the Savant area, if they have ASD.

L - death Note

Sheska - Full metal Alchemist // this one is just pure speculation

Inspector Heinrich Lunge - Monster

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2017, 12:55 pm

Scheimaa wrote:
although it was funny to watch Tomoko Kuroki it was funny in a bitter way, i do not know the other character, but what about the one in your avatar picture?

My avatar? It is Nozaki from Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun, I guess he might to some degree count, he has a blank face, and likes to watch people for his manga, but may himself lack proper understanding of social norms.

I might in general throw in Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash, a story where people end up in another (fantasy game like) world, and the cast are essentially the people left over to form a party, and I kind of think the group of them are on the spectrum to some degree. Ranta more specifaclly appears to have ADHD, and Yume appears to have sort of trouble with words and expressing herself.

Yuki Nagato, especially from the Yuki-chan spinoff seems to have a number of traits.

Oh, and remembered a big one, Mashiro Shiina from The Pet Girl of Sakurasou is almost certainly autistic. She is genius at art, but pretty much requires other people to help her with other tasks. She has a kind of monotone voice and appearance, but it can kind of come across later that there is more to her than just that, like making her own jokes.

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2017, 10:54 am

What about Sousuke Sagara, from Full Metal Panic? He's an incredibly competent soldier, but strategy and combat are pretty much the only things he knows about, to the point where he doesn't understand regular social interactions. There was an episode dedicated to him going on a date (as a kind of undercover mission) and he completely misses the point of anything involving romance. He and his date go to see a war/romance movie, and Sousuke is just furious at the fact that the movie is misrepresenting standard combat proceedure. In a different episode, he is seen giving a pair of beautiful earrings to Kaname (the female lead of the show, whom he is charged to protect), and while Kaname is initially touched by the gesture, Sousuke immediately messes it up by explaining that the earrings are really disguised grenades and the other pieces of jewellery included in his gift are likewise things like transmitters and gas capsules designed for defence and combat.

Full Metal Panic is one of the funniest anime I've seen, and much of the humour is derived of the character of Sousuke.

Scheimaa

26 Jan 2017, 7:43 pm

CyclopsSummers wrote:
What about Sousuke Sagara, from Full Metal Panic?

yeah he is so hilarious, that's a good one :lol:
i need to watch this anime again

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2017, 2:20 am

Well Sousuke was a child soldier from a young age who moved from being in a warzone to a professional career in a serious worldwide mercenary organisation. His lack of understanding social norms is kind of understandable.

Another character that comes to mind is Inaho Kaizuka from Aldnoah Zero, another teen soldier character, but his traits are almost too much to mention for being on the spectrum. From poor social awareness, lack of emotion showing on his face, the tendency to keep to routines, and a great deal of focus in interested fields.

Scheimaa

27 Jan 2017, 1:05 pm

but even so sousuke appears to be oblivious not just about social norms but also about what other people maybe thinking like expecting them to believe his Ridiculous excuses - when he was stalking kaname -, even among his colleagues he doesn't understand their jokes and just focus on his job not really interacting with them i a normal way, and we can also say that he survived as a kid because of his ASD characteristics.

I liked the character of Inaho, there is also mikazuki augus from Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans

another charcter is jean from acca13
he is usually expressionless and doesn't really understand social expectation - like that he shouldn't be smoking in the public or in the palace -

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2017, 5:54 am

Just this week I realised that two current airing shows have character who fit, and happened to have episodes that sort of focused on this part of them.

The first is Ran from the Astroboy prequel, Atom: The Beginning. Quiete that she does not speak much, that she can somewhat appear emotionally distant, but even can feel to emotionally bond with the main robot. The recent episode especially had some of her peers thinking that she is hard to approach, while it is that she has hard interacting. Has a strong interest in robots.

The second is Ririko from Sakura Quest. Earlier took her as just quiet, but with only one friend and a reliance on a grandmother that seems to understand her troubles that to an outsider might seem too protective, and has a strong interest in occult or UMA. The recent episode seem to show how she has trouble with social situations that it has made her depressed over seeing others doing fine, in a way I could empathise with.

And I guess also currently airing and had episode that focused on her earlier was Constanze from Little Witch Academia. She is practically mute with an expression that hardly changes, that she tends to come across as fiercely hard to get along with, preferring her robots. But her kind of isolation is part of her also being very independent, she rejects people kind of barging in but is also not as anti-person as she appears.

Cardia

10 Jun 2017, 10:54 pm

I'm surprised she hasn't been mentioned yet:
Shiina Mashiro from Sakurasou na Pet Kanojo.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2017, 4:34 am

Half of the characters in Neon Genesis Evangelion could qualify as on the spectrum. Shinji, Asuka, Rei and Gendo certainly.

BrokenPieces
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2017, 8:14 pm

A_noobish_noob wrote:
L - death Note

L definitely but also Near from Death Note. They both have a disregard or lack of interest for what's socially acceptable, they stim , they stack things, they have very focused, singular interests.

L.

Near.

Diamondisis
Toucan
Toucan

09 Jan 2019, 6:12 pm

I saw an episode of Sailor Moon R yesterday and there was a character of the week who seemed like he could have been an Aspie. He was an artist

komamanga
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2019, 6:33 pm

Bo-chan from Crayon Shinchan

He hardly ever talks and when he does it's very slow and monotone. He is very knowledgeable. Stones are his special interest.