Rep. John Lewis: Trump not "legitimate president"

Page 2 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2017, 6:52 pm

Still no sympathy for the guy who did the same thing 6 years ago. And as asinine as it is, Lewis could actually cite evidence to back up his claim.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2017, 8:57 pm

MDD123 wrote:
Still no sympathy for the guy who did the same thing 6 years ago. And as asinine as it is, Lewis could actually cite evidence to back up his claim.

This is what I was thinking. That this reminds me of the Obama not being born in America and therefore not a legitimate president allegations.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2017, 12:33 am

androbot01 wrote:
Trump wrote:
Congressman John Lewis should spend more time on fixing and helping his district, which is in horrible shape and falling apart (not to......mention crime infested) rather than falsely complaining about the election results. All talk, talk, talk - no action or results. Sad!

John Lewis is a genuine hero who helped save America's secular soul. Trump, a flim flam man who associates with alt right racists, and homophobic religious flat earthers, isn't worthy to criticize this man.
Besides, I thought Trump had promised he'd knock off the childish tantrums and feuds - on or off twitter - if he won the election. So much for keeping that promise.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2017, 8:36 am

One of the most interesting things, to ME, is that no one is calling Lewis a racist. If it had been the REVERSE, and a WHITE man was saying "I don't see this president-elect as a legitimate president", about President Obama, there would've been fighting in the streets (not literal----on the Internet), hollerin' that the white man was a racist, and it DID happen anytime a white person said anything about President Obama.

Same ol' double standard, as usual. A black person can say ANYTHING they want about whites, and HAVE, without repercussion; but, a white person can't say "Boo", about a black person. If people who fight for civil / equal rights, were actually fighting for "equal rights, for EVERYBODY", that would be okay----but, they DON'T; they fight for "equal rights, for ANYBODY BUT WHITES", and that's total horse-hockey, in-my-book; and, FORGET a white person trying to fight for whites, cuz there's no reason a white person should hurt / be lacking / have a reason to ask for equal treatment!!

Lewis probably thought he'd look like a HERO by looking like he was taking a stand for "the little guy", and getting PE Trump back for him questioning President Obama's birth certificate----and, that's, IMO, just soooo silly and immature.

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2017, 1:15 pm

Yeah good point, but don't expect some of the people here to get it :roll:

"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2017, 3:52 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:
One of the most interesting things, to ME, is that no one is calling Lewis a racist.

Under the new definitions of racism you have to be of the race that holds political power and have institutional leverage over all the other skin-tones to be capable of racism. By that definition Lewis is instead a flaming bigot - at least until 'bigot' is also redefined in a similar manner.

All jokes aside I don't know if any of the above applies. He just sounds like an ideologue, and they're generally about as out of touch as anyone with a racial -ism draped over their mental faculties would tend to be.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2017, 4:38 pm

Wasn't this treason or racism when the Republicans did it? Funny how that works.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2017, 5:16 pm

Trump wrote:
Congressman John Lewis should finally focus on the burning and crime infested inner-cities of the U.S. I can use all the help I can get!

Associated Press: Donald Trump continues to attack civil rights legend John Lewis as inauguration looms

Quote:
Trump’s assertion that Lewis’ district is “falling apart” and “crime infested” is hard to back up with facts.

Georgia’s 5th Congressional District, which includes the Atlanta metro region, is considered one of the nation’s fastest-growing areas, although its crime and poverty rates are higher than the national average.

The district has an 8.2 percent unemployment rate and the median household income is about $48,000, according to the Census Bureau.
The area also covers part of the upscale Atlanta neighborhood of Buckhead, along with the headquarters for Fortune 500 companies such as Coca-Cola and Delta Air Lines, Emory University, Georgia Tech, several historically black colleges and universities and the Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport, one of the world’s busiest.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2017, 5:17 pm

JohnPowell wrote:
Yeah good point, but don't expect some of the people here to get it :roll:

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Under the new definitions of racism you have to be of the race that holds political power and have institutional leverage over all the other skin-tones to be capable of racism.

Dox47 wrote:
Wasn't this treason or racism when the Republicans did it? Funny how that works.

Yep!!

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2017, 5:30 pm

The Telegraph: Donald Trump does not understand the threat Russia poses, CIA chief warns

Quote:
John Brennan, the outgoing head of the USA's intelligence agency said that Mr Trump should not lift sanctions currently in place against Russia and said that the president-elect's undisciplined style could pose a risk to US national security.

Mr Trump is expected to launch a major review of America's place in the world when he takes office later this week - and has already spoken disobligingly about both the EU and Nato in recent months.
“I don't think he has a full appreciation of Russian capabilities, Russia's intentions, and actions that they are undertaking in many parts of the world,”

Mr Brennan told Fox News. “I think Mr Trump has to understand that absolving Russia of the various actions that it's taken in the past number of years is a road that he I think needs to be very, very careful about moving down.”

Trump doesn't care about his country; he cares about himself and his behavior towards Russia shows his hand. Maybe a Russian-American alliance is in the future; if so, I fear American values will suffer.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2017, 5:56 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:
One of the most interesting things, to ME, is that no one is calling Lewis a racist. If it had been the REVERSE, and a WHITE man was saying "I don't see this president-elect as a legitimate president", about President Obama, there would've been fighting in the streets (not literal----on the Internet), hollerin' that the white man was a racist, and it DID happen anytime a white person said anything about President Obama.

Same ol' double standard, as usual. A black person can say ANYTHING they want about whites, and HAVE, without repercussion; but, a white person can't say "Boo", about a black person. If people who fight for civil / equal rights, were actually fighting for "equal rights, for EVERYBODY", that would be okay----but, they DON'T; they fight for "equal rights, for ANYBODY BUT WHITES", and that's total horse-hockey, in-my-book; and, FORGET a white person trying to fight for whites, cuz there's no reason a white person should hurt / be lacking / have a reason to ask for equal treatment!!

Lewis probably thought he'd look like a HERO by looking like he was taking a stand for "the little guy", and getting PE Trump back for him questioning President Obama's birth certificate----and, that's, IMO, just soooo silly and immature.

The difference is, attacks on Obama, including the bullsh*t about his birthplace, was entirely race based. Lewis' attack on Trump is not race based in the least. Rather, he brings up interesting arguments about whether Trump got covert help from Putin, which many would consider to be treasonous. That, and Trump's flirtation with the alt right likes of Bannon, and the old racist right like Sessions, an old civil rights soldier like Lewis has every reason to be scared.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2017, 11:25 pm

What I'm noticing is apparently it's okay for a congressman to trash the president. But if the president points out flaws he sees in the congressman, that's just awful. Especially if that congressman was a civil rights activist and it's MLK weekend. That automatically makes it racist.

The thing is when someone trashes Trump, he has the right to respond. The leftists aren't calling Lewis or Streep immature for what they said about Trump. Yet when he's responds likewise, oh well that's inexcusable. Typical double standards.

I think most just don't like the fact that Trump can and will zap them back immediately if he wants. Obama made a sarcastic remark about dealing with people face to face instead of using Twitter. But none of these people say these things to Trump's face. And can you imagine how the leftists would react if Trump did start confronting people face to face?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2017, 11:40 pm

EzraS wrote:
What I'm noticing is apparently it's okay for a congressman to trash the president. But if the president points out flaws he sees in the congressman, that's just awful. Especially if that congressman was a civil rights activist and it's MLK weekend. That automatically makes it racist.

The thing is when someone trashes Trump, he has the right to respond. The leftists aren't calling Lewis or Streep immature for what they said about Trump. Yet when he's responds likewise, oh well that's inexcusable. Typical double standards.

I think most just don't like the fact that Trump can and will zap them back immediately if he wants. Obama made a sarcastic remark about dealing with people face to face instead of using Twitter. But none of these people say these things to Trump's face. And can you imagine how the leftists would react if Trump did start confronting people face to face?

I never accused Trump of being a racist in regard to his feud with Lewis. No, I'm saying he's an intellectually shallow blowhard who lacks control over his temperament, and with MLK Day coming up, lacks any sense of timing in taking up a fight with a civil rights hero like Lewis. My point was, the attacks on Obama were often clearly racial, whereas Lewis' beef with Trump is not.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2017, 12:11 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:

I never accused Trump of being a racist in regard to his feud with Lewis. No, I'm saying he's an intellectually shallow blowhard who lacks control over his temperament, and with MLK Day coming up, lacks any sense of timing in taking up a fight with a civil rights hero like Lewis. My point was, the attacks on Obama were often clearly racial, whereas Lewis' beef with Trump is not.

Why is it people think I'm talking about them personally, when I'm addressing an entire demographic? Or that their post is the only thing I read regarding a subject? I read the racist remarks across the internet and heard them across TV and radio.

But getting back to the subject, I think leftists want to insist he's all kinds of awful for responding to his critics in hopes of suppressing him. But that's not going to happen. Given Trump's pattern, it almost seems like Lewis timed his comments, so that he the hero champion of civil rights back in the 60's, would get a response from Trump on MLK weekend. Oh how could he to such a hero at such a time boo hoo.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2017, 12:15 am

LoveNotHate wrote:
androbot01 wrote:
And they helped destroy the candidacy of Hillary Clinton," Lewis said.

Rep. Lewis's logic ...

1. The Russians exposed Clinton's crooked paper trail.
2. Therefore, Trump is not legitimate.
3. Because Clinton would of won had she been able to hide her crooked dealings.

Except Hilary wasn't crooked, the data was just marketed as being such. Trump meanwhile has a long history of corruption, but no one gave a damn about it.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2017, 12:21 am

Why is it people think I'm talking about them personally, when I'm addressing an entire demographic? Or that their post is the only thing I read regarding a subject? I read the racist remarks across the internet and heard them across TV and radio.

But getting back to the subject, I think leftists want to insist he's all kinds of awful for responding to his critics in hopes of suppressing him. But that's not going to happen. Given Trump's pattern, it almost seems like Lewis timed his comments, so that he the hero champion of civil rights back in the 60's, would get a response from Trump on MLK weekend. Oh how could he to such a hero at such a time boo hoo.