Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2017, 2:33 am

Britain’s criminal justice system doesn’t know what to do about autism

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

FragMichNichtWiesMirGeht
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Jan 2017, 11:47 am

That's too bad.

Mr_Miner
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Jan 2017, 6:15 pm

As bad as it is in the UK I think it still beats the American prison system. If you said an Autisic person who had done something wrong deserved some kind of special treatment because of the condition people would be very upset. Prison is a punishment and it's meant to be as rough as possible. It's even a good thing if you are extra miserable. This is why so many people commit crimes again here. They are treated like animals and eventually they forget how to be anything else.

Where as I see in other countries that yes criminals need to be punished but the prison has many luxuries that we do not have and there is an effort to prepare people for life after prison. A company might hire you for example. That is almost impossible in Ameirca.

Tawaki
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2017, 7:41 pm

Mr_Miner wrote:
As bad as it is in the UK I think it still beats the American prison system. If you said an Autisic person who had done something wrong deserved some kind of special treatment because of the condition people would be very upset. Prison is a punishment and it's meant to be as rough as possible. It's even a good thing if you are extra miserable. This is why so many people commit crimes again here. They are treated like animals and eventually they forget how to be anything else.

Where as I see in other countries that yes criminals need to be punished but the prison has many luxuries that we do not have and there is an effort to prepare people for life after prison. A company might hire you for example. That is almost impossible in Ameirca.

I can see a ton of people in the US read this article and say, "Boo f*cking hoo." It's considered a bonus round if sh*t like slamming doors bothers or you getting the crap beat out of you happens.

In the US, autism doesn't give you much of a consideration in the criminal justice system. Other than getting segregated from the general population.

Once you are out of prison, especially if you have a computer/sexual predator conviction, you will almost never get hired.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2017, 10:59 am

This is not a contest to see which country is worse for autistics.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman