Republicans targetting endangered species act

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Earthbound
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2017, 4:30 pm

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/gop-targets ... g-changes/

This is sickening. It's all about more money at any cost.

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2017, 8:34 pm

I hope one day these republicans become an endangered species themselves.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

The Unleasher
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2017, 3:47 pm

Sometimes I wish everyone would just be Centrist. Both parties are corrupt, whether you want to admit it or not. Which is why, when I get older, I won't identify with either. I miss the Whig party.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2017, 5:31 pm

I can't stop but think at least part of this has to do with Dominionist theology, so popular in politically conservative circles, in which they believe God's creation was given to humans to do with what we will, even if we use them up.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2017, 6:03 pm

The Unleasher wrote:
Sometimes I wish everyone would just be Centrist. Both parties are corrupt, whether you want to admit it or not. Which is why, when I get older, I won't identify with either. I miss the Whig party.

The abject failure of the Labor after the Blair debacle, followed by the madness of the Tories and (yes, it is all going to be catastrophic after all) brexit leaves the field wide open for another party to ascend into leadership. There has never been a better time for the return of the Whigs in England.

Trump will have up to four years to fan the flames of outrage at the power of the imperial presidency and this may open the way for a return to the weak presidency policies of the American Whigs.

It would be entertaining watching the restoration of an ancient political name. But they would also be corrupt.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2017, 1:18 am

Eh, I've seen some pretty perverse unintended consequences from that law; where I used to live, a bald eagle nest on your property essentially made it impossible to sell, so it wasn't unheard of for property owners to quietly destroy the nests and drive the birds away, or worse. You see a similar dynamic in Africa, where exotic animals that are protected by law are dangerous and/or destructive to the people who live there, so they kill them, or allow poachers to do so. There needs to be balance, where the animals are protected, but not at the expense of the people who live with them.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2017, 3:51 am

Dox47 wrote:
Eh, I've seen some pretty perverse unintended consequences from that law; where I used to live, a bald eagle nest on your property essentially made it impossible to sell, so it wasn't unheard of for property owners to quietly destroy the nests and drive the birds away, or worse. You see a similar dynamic in Africa, where exotic animals that are protected by law are dangerous and/or destructive to the people who live there, so they kill them, or allow poachers to do so. There needs to be balance, where the animals are protected, but not at the expense of the people who live with them.

You raise good points. Endangered species need to be protected, but we need to be realistic about it too.

I for one am a big believer in animal sanctuaries and captive breeding programs. While they may not work in all situations (particularly for large animals that are used to traversing great distances), they are great tools for ensuring the survival of endangered species.

slw1990
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2017, 11:20 pm

That's terrible that they would go that far.

It seemed like a lot of people were complaining about it in the comment section. I was worried more people would agree that it was good, but I guess it wouldn't make a difference either way since the people who commented can't do anything about it.

sonicallysensitive
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Jan 2017, 7:20 pm

Don't be selfish now.

Killing endangered plants/animals may be fun

:skull:

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

21 Jan 2017, 8:31 pm

Sometimes the law goes too far, the Endangered Species Act has hurt whole communities protecting quite frankly insignificant animals like the delta smelt in central California. They have to put aside water and thousands of acres of farmland for this 2 inch minnow that still can't make it on it's own and will soon go extinct regardless. There definitely needs to be a balance, to many people are knee jerk against without knowing anything.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2017, 8:45 pm

The Unleasher wrote:

Yep. Liberals squeal over endangered species of animals, and conservatives squeal over a different kind of endangered species, namely babies including those who are black and are otherwise aborted more often than not.

I support protecting all species; but, if my hand is forced, I would support protecting humans ... though many of them make me reconsider my opinion frequently.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2017, 10:03 pm

AspieUtah wrote:
The Unleasher wrote:

Yep. Liberals squeal over endangered species of animals, and conservatives squeal over a different kind of endangered species, namely babies including those who are black and are otherwise aborted more often than not.

I support protecting all species; but, if my hand is forced, I would support protecting humans ... though many of them make me reconsider my opinion frequently.

I'm sorry, but I simply don't believe more babies are aborted than who are born, regardless of race, even if you conflate miscarriage with abortion.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

21 Jan 2017, 10:16 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
AspieUtah wrote:
The Unleasher wrote:

I'm sorry, but I simply don't believe more babies are aborted than who are born, regardless of race, even if you conflate miscarriage with abortion.

it is true, at least on some level, even left wing Politifact agrees

http://www.politifact.com/texas/stateme ... aborted-n/

there are a shocking amount of abortions in this country, whether or not it's over 50% of pregnancies doesn't matter since it's still unacceptably high whatever the number is which is at least 1 out of 3 pregnancies.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2017, 11:51 pm

Jacoby wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
AspieUtah wrote:
The Unleasher wrote:

there are a shocking amount of abortions in this country, whether or not it's over 50% of pregnancies doesn't matter since it's still unacceptably high whatever the number is which is at least 1 out of 3 pregnancies.

Even if that is true for New York, it doesn't mean it's true for anywhere else.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2017, 8:05 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Jacoby wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
AspieUtah wrote:
The Unleasher wrote:

This is what I was referring to:
Quote:
Minority women constitute only about 13% of the female population (age 15-44) in the United States, but they underwent approximately 36% of the abortions.

According to the Alan Guttmacher Institute, black women are more than 5 times as likely as white women to have an abortion

On average, 1,876 black babies are aborted every day in the United States.

This incidence of abortion has resulted in a tremendous loss of life. It has been estimated that since 1973 Black women have had about 16 million abortions. Michael Novak had calculated "Since the number of current living Blacks (in the U.S.) is 36 million, the missing 16 million represents an enormous loss, for without abortion, America's Black community would now number 52 million persons. It would be 36 percent larger than it is. Abortion has swept through the Black community like a scythe, cutting down every fourth member."

A highly significant 1993 Howard University study showed that African American women over age 50 were 4.7 times more likely to get breast cancer if they had had any abortions compared to women who had not had any abortions.... http://www.blackgenocide.org/black.html

But, even if the national statistics don't hold up, it reminds me of two Holocaust survivors arguing over their respective populations who had died at the hands of the German Reich: "What," says one of the men, "...are you into real estate?" (refering to the relative size of each man's described cemetery). The point is a huge number of abortions are performed in the United States on a specific race of babies. Is there no concern for that fact? Maybe, we should protect the next 16 million aborted black babies in the same way that some want to protect endangered animal species.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2017, 11:08 am

AspieUtah wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Jacoby wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
AspieUtah wrote:
The Unleasher wrote:

This is what I was referring to:
Quote:
Minority women constitute only about 13% of the female population (age 15-44) in the United States, but they underwent approximately 36% of the abortions.

According to the Alan Guttmacher Institute, black women are more than 5 times as likely as white women to have an abortion

On average, 1,876 black babies are aborted every day in the United States.

This incidence of abortion has resulted in a tremendous loss of life. It has been estimated that since 1973 Black women have had about 16 million abortions. Michael Novak had calculated "Since the number of current living Blacks (in the U.S.) is 36 million, the missing 16 million represents an enormous loss, for without abortion, America's Black community would now number 52 million persons. It would be 36 percent larger than it is. Abortion has swept through the Black community like a scythe, cutting down every fourth member."

A highly significant 1993 Howard University study showed that African American women over age 50 were 4.7 times more likely to get breast cancer if they had had any abortions compared to women who had not had any abortions.... http://www.blackgenocide.org/black.html

But, even if the national statistics don't hold up, it reminds me of two Holocaust survivors arguing over their respective populations who had died at the hands of the German Reich: "What," says one of the men, "...are you into real estate?" (refering to the relative size of each man's described cemetery). The point is a huge number of abortions are performed in the United States on a specific race of babies. Is there no concern for that fact? Maybe, we should protect the next 16 million aborted black babies in the same way that some want to protect endangered animal species.

The difference between the Holocaust and abortion is that no one is forcing black women to have abortions. If you want to stop abortion of black babies, then the pro-life movement should actually try to connect with black Americans.