Page 1 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2017, 8:30 pm

What is scaring me about Trump's presidency? Well, I'm glad you asked, and I hope you can prove me wrong.

1. It's no coincidence that the alt-right, the KKK, Marine LePen, Breitbart, and seemingly every right-of-center organization has come out in support of Trump. They see in him something they can sink their teeth into - a man who will bring the nationalistic, Anglo-Saxon, ultra-conservative, America first agenda front and center. That idea, my friend, is the antithesis of what America has already become - a refuge for the down trodden of the world. I respect America's current "open arms" policies, you know, that sign on the Statue of Liberty which reads, "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free.” An "America first" agenda WILL wreak havoc around the world; our hands are dipped too far in almost everyone's cookie jar. To turn back now would be a disaster.

2. I think human rights will suffer beneath the Trump administration. Abortion will become illegal in many states. Stop and frisk will be the norm and will unfairly target black men. Funding for LGBTQ programs will decrease which, in itself, will be proportional to a rise of crimes against said community. I can even see elementary schools bringing back the recitation of The Lord's Prayer by students before the start of classes. With Muslims having to register, this will be proportional to as rise in hatred against said group. It's just unfair to punish a whole group of people for the actions of a wayward few. What am I basing this on? Well, how many Japanese living in America in the 40's were interred? Practically all of them, right? And you can bet those Japanese here in the US had zilch to do with the war.

3. The US becoming a hermit kingdom like North Korea. How could this happen? So far, the Trump administration is off to a rough start, what with lies being issued by Spicer, "alternative facts" issued by Conway, and every executive order based solely on negative ideas. (US out of TPP, no abortions around the world per US monies, the closing down of Obamacare - all negative orders). If this is a harbinger for what's to come, how is the rest of the world supposed to feel when it seems like they are the "enemies"? A hermit kingdom also issues clampdowns on public rhetoric, something akin to what Kellyanne Conway is attempting, but failing. She has no authority to do so, of course, but it behooves her, as one so frequent in the public eye, to temper the things she says because she IS representing the president. Her antagonistic ways, incidentally, will only drive the media to the left.

4. I fear the divisiveness brought on my the current political climate will cause a rise in anti-government groups like the New Black Panther Party. What that means, of course, is guns, guns and more guns everywhere. The possibility of America falling into a civil war is nil, I understand that, but the likelihood of innocent people being targeted and executed simply because they fit a certain demographic (white Republican, Muslim, black, etc) could rise.

5. There is a lot of fear in uncertainty, especially grave ones. For instance, with Obamacare on the chopping block, will people dependent on Medicaid, Washington Apple Health, etc suddenly lose their doctors, their psychologists, and their medications? That's a grave uncertainty. Will abortion become illegal in my state? That's a grave uncertainty. Will a wall be built on the southern border of my state? That's a grave uncertainty. Will my parents who emigrated here illegally be sent back to Mexico and elsewhere, breaking up our family? That's a grave uncertainty. Will my inner city neighborhood, which Trump always claims is in terrible, terrible shape, suddenly see an influx of soldiers as Marshall law takes place? That's a grave uncertainty and one likely to have a violent backlash for sure. As a man, will I be able to marry the man I love? As a woman, will I be able to marry the woman I love? Without fear of being castigated, maligned and spat on, I mean.

6. I can't wait to see what Trump's take on mental health illnesses is. As a homeless and mentally ill person, this is a special interest of mine. As an aspie, it'll also be interesting to see if he supports and funds or simply neglects this population.

7. I'm also worried that public assistance will meet the headman's axe somewhere along the way. Food stamps could be cut or given to those based on a much more strict criteria than is already in place. Government programs to help the poor and needy, like Section 8 housing, could also face a massive cut, and I base this on the fact that Brother Trump's agenda is to increase the reach, power and might of the American military. The cuts have to come from somewhere. And, by the way, I don't think the middle class will get the tax breaks they're hoping for. The ultra rich might, but not the working class Joe. Trump will insist that monies will eventually trickle down from the upper management to the rank and file. That, my friend, remains to be seen.

Last edited by redrobin62 on 23 Jan 2017, 8:42 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2017, 8:38 pm

alex wrote:
Why does the White House lie about inauguration attendance though? It's pretty easy to look at the photos and see the truth.

I'm stuck somewhere between "he can't help himself" and "it's worked for him so far" myself.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2017, 9:22 pm

I think the story of Japanese being interred is true--I had a teacher that said he was interred during the war.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2017, 9:36 pm

BTDT wrote:
I think the story of Japanese being interred is true--I had a teacher that said he was interred during the war.

the Puyallup [WA] fairgrounds was one such internment site, I went to the fair one year and on an anniversary date they put up a large exhibit of the fair's unfortunate history in this regard.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2017, 9:44 pm

alex wrote:
Why does the White House lie about inauguration attendance though? It's pretty easy to look at the photos and see the truth.

For the same reason they gave a day one speech in front of the Wall of Remembrance at the CIA and never mentioned the men and women who gave their lives for the nation but spent a lot of time talking about crowd size

The President is a raging narcissist.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

23 Jan 2017, 9:48 pm

the media was lying about the attendance figures too, they don't have any moral high ground. Trump exaggerates a lot but there is malicious intent behind what the media is trying to do.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2017, 10:28 pm

Jacoby wrote:
the media was lying about the attendance figures too, they don't have any moral high ground. Trump exaggerates a lot but there is malicious intent behind what the media is trying to do.

You know, I don't know that I buy that, but there is something to be said about the gleeful way that the inaugural attendance was reported, I think his tail was definitely being twisted a bit.

Earthbound
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2017, 11:17 pm

Trump can't handle the fact his crowd was the biggest to date, so he had to send out one of his evil goons to whine for him. Then on Sunday- another goon whined and got angry because a question was asked.

These people are disrespectful to the press. I don't care if some people think mainstream media is bad- that doesn't give White House staff and Trump to just bash them non-stop. I know Trump would love for news to be all owned by him and his friends/family.. then no one would ever say a bad thing about him, and never point out any flaws.

Now let's get back to reality- if the American people can't trust the people working in the White House, who can they trust? This is getting very frustrating, sickening and just wrong.

I feel the press needs to keep pushing the taxes issue. Trump promised them time after time- and now the White House is saying he wont do it. He's a coward that is hiding stuff, it's pretty clear by now.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2017, 11:18 pm

I think it's a simple matter of them screwing up and some people are reading too much into it. As usual I'm seeing a lot of sensationalism.

Conway's "alternative facts" term was ridiculous, but I think that was more a matter of saying something that came to her at the moment, rather than it being a universal policy of the current administration. People screw up and say wrong things. There seems to be a tendency to jump on a mistake like a pack of wild hyenas and exploit the hell out of it.

Sean Spicer reappeared much nicer and did a mea culpa (kinda)

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2017, 11:25 pm

Earthbound wrote:
Trump can't handle the fact his crowd was the biggest to date

Say what?

feral botanist
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2017, 11:27 pm

auntblabby wrote:
BTDT wrote:

the Puyallup [WA] fairgrounds was one such internment site, I went to the fair one year and on an anniversary date they put up a large exhibit of the fair's unfortunate history in this regard.

My father grew in a town that had a camp. My aunts parents were in that camp.

feral botanist
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2017, 11:35 pm

auntblabby wrote:
^^that is a telling commentary on their opinion of Americans' collective intelligence. they think they can fool most of us most of the time. and they're right.

Actually this election was a wake up call for me.

I am going to change my life! I am going to start a superpac supporting conservative values and politicians.

Trump has proven, that a large part of the population will believe anything.

If I can just get 5000 of 63,000,000 Trump voters to donate a dollar a month, I could retire.

To put this in context, there were 73,000,000 people that voted for candidates other than Trump. :lol:

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

23 Jan 2017, 11:43 pm

I don't see why Trump should be obligated to respect people that aren't respectful of him, he is the president after all and the media is deliberately and maliciously working delegitimize any way they can think possible. The media provoking Trump and him responding to them isn't news to me, that is manufactured drama by the media that has no relevance to anything. Who cares what the attendance figures were(which there is no official count or any facts to work on) and why is the media obsessed over it? The pictures of the mall like 2/3rds empty from hours before hand being spread around social media is an example of FAKE NEWS and that was what Trump was responding too. The media is dishonest, they barely ever panned to the crowd when it contains Trump supporters and they did this the whole election too. That's why Trump would always joke that's why he loved protesters at his events since that was the only thing that would get the media to pan to the crowd. If attendance was such a big deal then why didn't they talk about Hillary's paltry attended rallies?

Trump is a pretty simple guy to get along with, you show him respect and he'll return it in kind. Trump has had a mantra of 'love your friends and trash your enemies' his whole adult life, it's just how he communicates but it makes sense to me. It doesn't make sense to want to provoke Trump at this point, not if you actually care about this country more than scoring petty political points.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2017, 1:35 am

feral botanist wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
BTDT wrote:

My father grew in a town that had a camp. My aunts parents were in that camp.

sorry that this happened to your kin. my mother came here from japan after all that mess happened. lucky for her.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2017, 1:38 am

alex wrote:

Because of his narcissism and ego, Trump has to have the absolute biggest everything.
You know he has to be positively microscopic in the downstairs department.

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2017, 2:08 am

alex wrote:

The CNN photos were showing Trump's inauguration prior to tens of thousands more people got in. It was purely put out to cause conflict and have people fighting over something trivial and stupid. With the whole media and the CIA against Trump and putting out fake stories and obsessing over something he said on a bus 11 years ago it's amazing that so many people turned up and amazing Trump won the election so easily. Compare that to how the media and Co were making out that Obama was some kind of phenom and walked on water in 2008/9, it's not surprising.

"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"