Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Holy Roman Emperor
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Jan 2017, 6:16 pm

What do you really think really happens when we really die?
I mean, in connection with the continuation/non-continuation/etc. of our personal consciousness or identity.
:D :( :oops: :twisted: :skull: :!: :?:

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2017, 6:29 pm

Most people end up in an after-life realm that resembles the earth-life, and you will continue to work, attend school, have jobs, live in houses/apartments, play golf, have scotch, embark on sexual-adventures, etc. The purpose of this seems to apparently be for helping the conscience to slowly transition into a new existence-type.

Holy Roman Emperor wrote:
What do you really think really happens when we really die?
I mean, in connection with the continuation/non-continuation/etc. of our personal consciousness or identity.
:D :( :oops: :twisted: :skull: :!: :?:

TheSpectrum
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2017, 8:32 pm

I believe the body dies, and the conscious goes somewhere else.
I don't think that it is heaven, hell or purgatory, though. Simply another universe or dimension the 3 dimensional bodies we inhabit can't otherwise travel to.

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2017, 8:34 pm

We need the mind and the body to perceive. After you die perception is dead I can't see anything more happening to us other than not existing.

TheSpectrum
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2017, 8:37 pm

Shahunshah wrote:
After you die perception is dead I can't see anything more happening to us other than not existing.

Yeah, it's pretty hard to perceive something without a sense of perception.
AMIRITE!

Aspinator
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2017, 8:44 pm

I agree with Spectrum; when our physical bodies die, what is our conscious mind doesn't. Where it goes, nobody knows.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2017, 9:19 pm

When do you think the Holy Roman Empire really died?

It officially died in 1806. But I believe it died around the 15th century. It became a bunch of principalities, run by the Habsburgs and others. The Holy Roman Emperor became merely a figurehead sort.

What do you think, HR Emperor?

Last edited by kraftiekortie on 23 Jan 2017, 9:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2017, 9:20 pm

When the body dies, its soul keeps on a-trucking. Depending on the amount and kinds of karma the soul accumulated over the years, it can go to heaven, remain on earth, or descend into hell.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2017, 10:38 pm

The idea of simply ceasing to exist is non-nonsensical, but beyond that I can't give any answers without going to specific religious beliefs.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

Holy Roman Emperor
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Jan 2017, 1:22 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
When do you think the Holy Roman Empire really died?

It officially died in 1806. But I believe it died around the 15th century. It became a bunch of principalities, run by the Habsburgs and others. The Holy Roman Emperor became merely a figurehead sort.

What do you think, HR Emperor?

Very good dating, however, that is what "they" teach you in "their" history courses, dictated by the needs of the "establishment." Now, here's the real dope:

The Empire never ended. Some of us who are eligible to wear the crown and the requisite number of Electors to elect the Emperor escaped the mere outward signs of imperial decay, and we survive to this day. I cannot tell you where. I cannot give you names. But know this: As long as there is an earth, there will be a Holy Roman Empire and a Holy Roman Emperor.

HRE

Holy Roman Emperor
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Jan 2017, 1:31 am

Shahunshah wrote:
We need the mind and the body to perceive. After you die perception is dead I can't see anything more happening to us other than not existing.

A brilliant comment by an obvious Aristotelean and neo-Thomist. Incidentally, St. Thomas fell back on the meat of this person's post to, as it were, "prove" the necessity of the Resurrection of the Body, i.e., that is was essential to extension of human life, at least through time, as we know time.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2017, 9:24 pm

Ganondox wrote:
The idea of simply ceasing to exist is non-nonsensical, but beyond that I can't give any answers without going to specific religious beliefs.

Even though I can't say I'm a big GI Gurdjieff he did make a certain suggestion that, in isolation, makes a certain amount of sense - ie. that certain volitional intensities create lines of tension and that these lines can self-sustain as structures.

In a way that almost seems analogous to, lol - please forgive my blasphemy, a RNA world hypothesis of spirit. Seems like all kinds of things are bumping into each other in the universe and, based on charges, creating complex structures that pivot on attractions and repulsions. What would compel us to assert that such things can only occur with Baryonic matter?

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

feral botanist
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2017, 9:38 pm

Matter is a privilaged form of energy.

We shift, we change state, we separate, we coalesce, we return, we go onward.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2017, 12:51 am

Insufficient data.
Probabilities seem to converge on dissolution of the patterns associated with personal identity.