Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

MsV
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

24 Jan 2017, 4:32 am

Just a random thought but it seems that even the most normal seeming people in my vicinity have certain neuro-atypicalities which makes me wonder if the category NT really exists.
What would be the definition of a neurotypical? Being an aspie I understand my wiring for the most part and could identify my characteristics, but what makes an NT?

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2017, 5:05 am

NT's are people someone with Aspergers doesn't like or has had unpleasant experiences with.

An NT is anyone else who isn't that person with Aspergers who is calling them NT's.

An NT is usually anyone/everyone a person with Aspergers considers to be an adversary.

99.9% of the world's population consists of NT's.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2017, 5:06 am

For regular conversation, i use NT in the meaning of "someone who does not meet (sufficient) criteria to be diagnosed on the ASD spectrum"

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2017, 6:41 am

Everybody I know can be diagnosed with SOMETHING.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2017, 7:15 am

Well you got to draw the line somewhere. Everybody has quirks and habits and phobias and so on. But basically if you do not have some sort of diagnosable neurological condition what will cause challenges to your life, affecting your intellectual, social and/or emotional performance, then you are basically neurotypical.
If a person has challenges caused by environment and/or lifestyle, like drug addiction or abuse, that person is still neurotypical.
Things like depression and anxiety can depend on the cause of it.

Otherwise, things like Autism, Asperger's Syndrome, ADHD, Down's Syndrome, Mental Retardation, Fragile-X Syndrome, Dementia, Parkinson's disease, Soto's Syndrome, Bipolar, Schitzephrenia, BPD, Dyspraxia, Tourette's Syndrome, and probably many others that I can't think of right now, don't make a person neurotypical.

Things like anxiety disorder, dyslexia, mild learning difficulties and things like that may or may not count, depending on how much challenging it can make a person's life and how different from the norm they are (difference caused by their neurology).

Most Aspies here think that if a person can somewhat read body language, no matter how mentally challenged and low-functioning they are otherwise, they are still neurotypical. That is irritatingly vague.

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2017, 7:23 am

I agree with Joe90. Everyone displays Aspie-ish traits at some time. (And since Aspie traits are so contradictory, most differences in personality can be perceived as "Aspie traits".) But most people don't have enough of these traits, or have them be impairing enough to be diagnosed.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2017, 7:30 am

Also a lot of other neurological conditions can share similar traits to ASDs, but not actually be an ASD. For example, my friend who has Fragile-X does not have ASD with it but still faces a lot of social and intellectual difficulties due to her disability. She finds making friends hard, and looking for employment is even harder, and cannot maintain a relationship. She is rather lonely and often feels isolated. Her Fragile-X interferes with her life and always will. I would say she's allistic but not neurotypical.

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2017, 7:56 am

The way I see it is that just about the entire world-population is insane and FULL of Projections. A Projection in Psychological-Terms basically means that someone is a Hypocrite who's blind to their own Hypocrisies.

The biggest hypocrites of course are the people working in enforcement-agencies. They tell everyone else to «obey the law» whilst simultaneously violating all of the laws on a daily basis (e.g.: kidnapping people, trafficking of persons, hostage-taking, extortion, larceny & embezzlement, money-laundering, fraud, perjury, entrapment, concealment-of-fraud, domestic-terrorism, international-terrorism, invasion, peonage/slavery, stealing, holding stolen property for ransom, etc).

They can change the names all they like, but a kidnapping is still a kidnapping even if called an arrest, a hostage is still a hostage even if called being jailed or imprisoned, grand-theft is still grand-theft even if referred to as an impound, holding stolen property for ransom is still the holding of stolen property for random even if it is called a release fee to get one's car back from an impound-lot, and I could even quote a whole bunch of Title 18 US Code Statutes, etc. The word «terrorist» has been the biggest «projection» term yet.

Disclaimer : I am neither Democrat nor Republican. Bush & his minions were a bunch of con-artists.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2017, 9:37 am

izzeme wrote:
For regular conversation, i use NT in the meaning of "someone who does not meet (sufficient) criteria to be diagnosed on the ASD spectrum"

This is also the way I use the term. I am actually less neurologically "typical" than most of you guys on the autism spectrum, even though I'm not autistic, because I have an extremely rare, genetic, neurological disease. I also have migraines, which are a neurological condition. And I have synesthesia, which is rare as well.

But the only other way to say it is "non-autistic person" and that sounds awkward.

MsV
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

24 Jan 2017, 10:06 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Everybody I know can be diagnosed with SOMETHING.

Exactly!

MsV
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

24 Jan 2017, 10:10 am

SocOfAutism wrote:
izzeme wrote:

This is also the way I use the term. I am actually less neurologically "typical" than most of you guys on the autism spectrum, even though I'm not autistic, because I have an extremely rare, genetic, neurological disease. I also have migraines, which are a neurological condition. And I have synesthesia, which is rare as well.

But the only other way to say it is "non-autistic person" and that sounds awkward.

Omg I've read about synesthesia, it seems to be fascinating. I wonder if it would interfere with daily interactions though...
Sorry about the migraines too. My friend's are totally debilitating and nothing helps so far...

MsV
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

24 Jan 2017, 10:10 am

Joe90 wrote:
Also a lot of other neurological conditions can share similar traits to ASDs, but not actually be an ASD. For example, my friend who has Fragile-X does not have ASD with it but still faces a lot of social and intellectual difficulties due to her disability. She finds making friends hard, and looking for employment is even harder, and cannot maintain a relationship. She is rather lonely and often feels isolated. Her Fragile-X interferes with her life and always will. I would say she's allistic but not neurotypical.

What is fragile-X?

MsV
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

24 Jan 2017, 10:17 am

Shoot sorry for the spam but I just thought of another one: being 'gifted' also brings its challenges. If one was gifted but not AS and ADD, is that person NT?
I always wondered b/c my neurologist-psychiatrist told me that I passed under the radar for so long due to the interplay of these three things. Which raised the question: if these balance each other out to an extent, would the 'signs' be more or less visible if one or more were not present and if so, would one seem less like an NT if the AS was removed from the equation?

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2017, 10:30 am

A normal person lacks the intelligence to deal with dozens of different categories.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2017, 10:32 am

MsV wrote:
Shoot sorry for the spam but I just thought of another one: being 'gifted' also brings its challenges. If one was gifted but not AS and ADD, is that person NT?
I always wondered b/c my neurologist-psychiatrist told me that I passed under the radar for so long due to the interplay of these three things. Which raised the question: if these balance each other out to an extent, would the 'signs' be more or less visible if one or more were not present and if so, would one seem less like an NT if the AS was removed from the equation?

YES. I think you're on to something.

My toddler is "gifted" but not autistic and it IS like he's special needs. He behaved like he had colic when he was a baby but his pediatrician said it wasn't colic he was just bored. He started speaking when he was three months old, which was really weird. He taught himself half the alphabet before he turned two. Now he keeps asking me about how internal organs work. He's not three yet.

When he is interested in something, like his music class, the teacher loves him and keeps remarking on his talent. When he's bored and has already learned something and won't behave or respect the teacher, I get a lot of suggestions about what might be wrong with him and what I could do differently at home. I think that some people think (for real now) that he is autistic when he acts up. This is ridiculous because his actually autistic father is always standing right with us, behaving completely normal. I'm sure that my son is acting up when he's bored to manipulate the situation into something more interesting. So it's a problem of being too smart and being too neurotypical.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2017, 10:34 am

You have synesthesia, SOC?

Fascinating!