Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

MicMurphy
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Jan 2017, 3:43 pm

Hello,

I'm a new employee as of last week's Sunday. I got a job as a courtesy clerk at a grocery store just around two corners of my house and neighborhood. Interview was great, impressed the intervewer enough to get the job.

However...

I don't quite know how I can keep my new job for the next coming months and I would LOVE some tips on how to act appropriately at my job, what to say, what not to say to co-workers/supervisors/etc.

Anyone have any tips?

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2017, 2:06 pm

Well it depends a lot on what kind of person you are and what kind of people your new coworkers are, but here are some things I'd consider basics, some of which've I've learned the hard way and some I still have trouble following myself:

1. Don't tell too much about your personal life, at least not in the start. I think it might make people think you're selfcentered. Of course, if someone asks you something for the sake of small talk, make sure to answer, otherwise you might seem rude. Keep the answer to a few sentences and, depending on the question, ask that coworker the same thing. Even if you're not interested in their personal life, doing so is considered polite... I think.

2. If you have been told that you have unique sense of humour, avoid making jokes. Things might get awkward if your coworkers don't realize you're joking.

3. Be on time. If your day starts at eight A.M sharp, try to be at work five or ten minutes before so you're ready to go the moment you are supposed to be there.

4. Don't lose your temper with your coworkers or customers. Even if they're being completely unreasonable you should stay calm and think through the things you'll say; that way you're less likely to anger them more or say something that will put you in even a worse position.

Most of these might seem like common sense, but without knowing you or your workplace these are the only things that come to my mind. I hope that they'll help, even if just a little bit.