Itchy all the time and other annoying sensations

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Jaseinspace
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

25 Jan 2017, 9:56 pm

Do any of you folks feel itchy all the time? My scalp is usually the worst area affected, but I'm itchy all over my body too. I'll get itchy in one spot, scratch it, then get itchy in another spot or it'll be multiple spots at a time. I have no visible rashes. It's usually most noticeable when I'm lying down for bed and when I wake up in the morning. Most the time it's just annoying, but sometimes it can be almost unbearable to the point I'll be scratching all over constantly throughout the day. Besides that I also get tickly/tingly sensations from clothes brushing against my skin or the wind blowing against me. Sometimes it'll give me goosebumps or chills. Somehow these sensations seem linked to my gut. I have IBS so my gut isn't in the best condition. When my IBS is worse, the itching and tickly/tingly sensations will be worse. One thing I also noticed is that when I made the dumb decision of coming off my SSRI medication cold turkey because I didn't like the side effects, I started experiencing this absolutely awful crawling skin sensation from withdrawals about 2 weeks later. I could barely move without this crawling going through my back making me shiver and recoil at anything touching me. Once I went back on the medication the crawling disappeared. The other sensations remain though, just maybe a tad bit less noticeable but still definitely there. This makes me think that these sensations, in part, have something to do with serotonin in the gut? I don't know...do you guys experience any sensations like this? Have you been able to treat it?

Lockheart
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Jan 2017, 12:35 am

Jaseinspace wrote:
Do any of you folks feel itchy all the time? My scalp is usually the worst area affected, but I'm itchy all over my body too. I'll get itchy in one spot, scratch it, then get itchy in another spot or it'll be multiple spots at a time. I have no visible rashes. It's usually most noticeable when I'm lying down for bed and when I wake up in the morning. Most the time it's just annoying, but sometimes it can be almost unbearable to the point I'll be scratching all over constantly throughout the day.

One potential problem is the type of soap and shampoo you use. I can't use a cheap bar of soap because I end up with maddeningly itchy skin after a few weeks of use. I now use a soap-free cleanser (Ego QV gentle wash if you're interested) and haven't had a problem since.

All the supermarket shampoo brands I've tried give me an itchy scalp. The problem seems to be the sulfates in the shampoos. Using sulfate- and paraben-free shampoo and conditioner keeps the itching mostly under control, although I do need to use Neutrogena T-gel therapeutic shampoo for the odd wash. The smell of the latter is a bit annoying but better than the itchiness!

wrongcitizen
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2017, 1:15 am

Jaseinspace wrote:
Do any of you folks feel itchy all the time? My scalp is usually the worst area affected, but I'm itchy all over my body too. I'll get itchy in one spot, scratch it, then get itchy in another spot or it'll be multiple spots at a time. I have no visible rashes. It's usually most noticeable when I'm lying down for bed and when I wake up in the morning. Most the time it's just annoying, but sometimes it can be almost unbearable to the point I'll be scratching all over constantly throughout the day. Besides that I also get tickly/tingly sensations from clothes brushing against my skin or the wind blowing against me. Sometimes it'll give me goosebumps or chills. Somehow these sensations seem linked to my gut. I have IBS so my gut isn't in the best condition. When my IBS is worse, the itching and tickly/tingly sensations will be worse. One thing I also noticed is that when I made the dumb decision of coming off my SSRI medication cold turkey because I didn't like the side effects, I started experiencing this absolutely awful crawling skin sensation from withdrawals about 2 weeks later. I could barely move without this crawling going through my back making me shiver and recoil at anything touching me. Once I went back on the medication the crawling disappeared. The other sensations remain though, just maybe a tad bit less noticeable but still definitely there. This makes me think that these sensations, in part, have something to do with serotonin in the gut? I don't know...do you guys experience any sensations like this? Have you been able to treat it?

I experience the exact same things you've mentioned, everything, down to the last sentence. I don't really have anything much else to add.

Also, I experience severe upper back pain and I'm 18, but I guess that happens when you carry a lot of weight (teachers force us to backpacks...etc)

Hippygoth
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Jan 2017, 3:41 am

My legs itch most of the year round. No rash, just unbearable itching - I make gouges in my skin because I've scratched so hard. It's worse when I put them in water. I eventually worked out it's because I wear tights during the colder months. In the summer it goes away. Some kinds of tights are worse than others.

I have extremely sensitive skin. I itch if I even so much as trim my body-hair. And my scalp is bad too, but that's my eczema which I'm also prone to. I also react to cold air meeting my skin, sneezing repeatedly.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2017, 8:32 am

I get itchy in the winter because of dry skin. I expect it to go away as soon as spring kicks in.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2017, 10:07 am

Yes, I'm very itchy lately and reading about itching makes me even more so.

timf
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2017, 11:55 am

Itchy skin can result from several things;

Low humidity - drink plenty of water and use lotion such as mineral oil to slow skin drying.

Check for diabetes which can have itchy skin as a symptom

Use a shampoo like head and Shoulder (with zinc) which can reduce surface micro organisms (not just on head)

Check detergents, cosmetics, and other chemical exposure to reduce any contact with agents that might irritate the skin.

Consider any allergic reactions to materials.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2017, 10:01 pm

I have this full body all day long now including the tingling you describe. I have had rashes and hives that have randomly appeared and spontaneously disappear for years that are becoming more frequent and severe. I have chronically dry skin, mouth, nose, eyes. I have severe IBS-D in which I can't tolerate any solid food at this point. I also have nausea, muscle weakness, fatigue, hot flushing, brain fog and a host of other symptoms. My doctor and I am currently looking into mast cell diseases as a possible cause.

I have tried taking just luke warm showers only every other day, stopped using shampoo, only use dove soap for my armpits, crotch and feet, and use coconut oil to moisturize my skin but it isn't helping. I have to take a bunch of antihistamines everyday now to keep the itching to a tolerable level while I figure things out.