Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

liveandrew
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Jan 2017, 1:13 pm

questor wrote:
I also hate hot weather, especially hot, humid weather. I have had the opportunity to go south to Florida for the winter for many years now, with my snow bird parents, who have a summer home up here, and a winter home in Florida. I will never go there, because even in the winter, most of the time Florida is too warm and humid for me. I'd rather stay up here and freeze in my trailer. Actually I do okay. I have a new furnace to replace the clunker that never worked right, and then didn't work at all. I have room heaters to allow me to keep the room I am in warmer, while turning down the furnace heat for the whole trailer. I have plenty of blankets, and warm clothes, including a lovely blanket that has fake lambswool on one side, and extremely soft, plushy velour on the other side. It's basically two blankets that were stitched together, so it is more layers. It's twice as big as I need, size wise, so I double it up, which makes it even warmer. I also have a nice comforter that I double up too, so I am warm enough when sleeping. I also have a Queen size down duvet comforter stored in a closet, that had belonged to my mother. After she died, this is one of the things of hers that I got. If I have a serious power failure that lasts for days, I can go stay at a relatives home, who have a wood burning stove, & a generator, but I would rather stay here & run the gas stove burners, like I did when the old furnace died. My place is somewhat drafty, so that's not a serious hazard for me. I might have a problem with the pipes freezing though.

About 11 years ago I lived thru a 5 & a half day power outage caused by a series of snow and ice storms, so I know what that's like, and what to do if it happens again.

Ah! There I go again, getting off topic. Well, I am sensitive to hot humid weather, but then, I don't much like frost bite, either, and I've experienced that, too.

Your place sounds nice and you can't beat a down duvet! I used to live on Dartmoor (UK) and had a nice, efficient woodburner that burned so hot! We also used to get power cuts all the time and I had a few camping stoves for those sort of emergencies. I've never it understood when people leave cold weather, especially at xmas time, to go somewhere hot - it seems like hell to me.

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 46 of 200

Listener of all things noisy, viewer of all things bloody, writer of all things sh*t.

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2017, 3:04 pm

I also have trouble with heat and humidity. Turns my brain to mush. And I am picky about the taste of water.