Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

BeggingTurtle
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2017, 1:30 am

I have a huge suspicion that I am dyscalculic. I have always had trouble with maths and I have been at least one year behind maths in every way. I don't know why but I probably made the mistake of choosing to do a calculus class this semester and I have never felt so stupid. :(
I did an online test for it apparently,and was labelled high risk, despite getting all the questions correct, I was apparently timed, and considered slower. Was wondering what others experiences are and whether or not to pursue diagnosis.

TheAvenger161173
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Jan 2017, 2:17 pm

BeggingTurtle wrote:
I have a huge suspicion that I am dyscalculic. I have always had trouble with maths and I have been at least one year behind maths in every way. I don't know why but I probably made the mistake of choosing to do a calculus class this semester and I have never felt so stupid. :(
I did an online test for it apparently,and was labelled high risk, despite getting all the questions correct, I was apparently timed, and considered slower. Was wondering what others experiences are and whether or not to pursue diagnosis.

I didn't know there was a test and a diagnostic assessment for it? I am 100% certain I have this but it's assumed from a dyslexia assesment which had a small maths part. My maths is terrible. Basic sums or anything to do with numbers I can't do. An example- I'll pick two random numbers 5 + 7..I don't know the answer I have to think for several seconds then count on my fingers. It's really embarrassing at times. I was put in a low class at college for people who are bad in maths. I struggled in that also. My brain isn't made for numbers.

tick
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Jan 2017, 3:23 pm

I'm 44 and just bought a 5th grade level math book to learn the stuff I never quite learned well, or at all, when I was in school. I almost failed high-school just trying to get through pre-algebra and after a tutor, and failing the final once, I cheated to pass my second try. Got my diploma two days late because of math. I have never been diagnosed with dyscalulia and doubt I'll bother with any formal assessment.

adoylelb90815
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Jan 2017, 5:00 pm

I think I have it, as math was a major struggle, especially when it came to algebra and geometry. I'm just fortunate that I didn't have to pass an exit exam to get my high school diploma, as I would have had a difficult time and might not have been able to graduate on time, even though I had a 3.3 GPA. As it was, the effort I put in to get that D in geometry would have earned an A in every other class I took.

I even had an algebra and geometry teacher that was impatient with people like me, who couldn't get the subject, and once she even yelled at me for using the calculator "too much," then later gave me crap because I tried doing everything longhand. My parents didn't believe that she was an awful teacher until they saw in my senior year yearbook that someone else in my graduating class said that their embarrassing moment in high school was "getting in a fight" with that teacher.

At my age, I don't think I'll bother with trying to get an official diagnosis, as it's not going to do anything for me at this point. I'm sure that teacher wouldn't have believed anyone had such a thing, so even if I were able to get diagnosed in high school, it wouldn't have made much of a difference unless I was able to have a different teacher.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2017, 3:48 am

Because of the type of school I go to I have always been tested for stuff like that and was diagnosed with dyscalculia a long time ago. Any kind of advanced mathematics is impossible for me to grasp.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

31 Jan 2017, 1:44 am

I have that but I was told being bad at math is part of my dyslexia.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Tripodologia
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Jan 2017, 5:13 am

I'm also convinced I have dyscalculia but have never sought diagnosis. I cannot do mental calculus, and do not retain the logic behind basic math rules - it's not really that I don't understand them, is that they do not stick in my memory at all. My natural tendency when asked "how much is 8 times 3" is to sum 3+3+3+3+3+3+3+3, which obviously takes longer than for someone who just knows how to bypass sums to do multiplication. I also don't really know how much an item is when on sale if all the label says is "70% off" and the original price. There are other things too, like having a hard time differentiating left and right, having a hard time telling time from a clock, etc. All in all, I've found that it doesn't really impair my daily living or my job; most phones come with a calculator these days, and people don't seem to be that put off when one blatantly says "I cannot do mental calculus". Good luck in any case!

-

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 139 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 67 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

Exuvian
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2017, 10:03 pm

Oh yeah, the only equation I know is Me+Maths=Fail. :(
It's especially bad when a boss or co-worker does that "quizzing" thing where they say, "ok, 37 and 68; that's 'X', right?" Then I have to say "yep" and hope they're right while trying to check the math and have a brief moment where I can still say, "erm, no it's 'Y'" and pass it off as a quick adding error... instead of borderline innumeracy.

Meanwhile, grammar enjoys considerable "flexibility" without bat of an eye in the "real" world. :wall:

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2017, 9:38 pm

I also have dyscalculia. It's a good thing that I'm not a teller where I work. I'd be mixing up all the numbers on the computer.

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2017, 10:05 pm

Math is not my strong point ... that's why I hire an accountant to do my taxes.
Languages are my strong point.
I have quite a high IQ overall.

So like all of humanity, there's a mixture of strengths and weaknesses. 8)

TheAvenger161173
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Feb 2017, 2:05 pm

What is the most definitive comprehensive testing method for this?

Alexinwonderland

05 Feb 2017, 4:50 pm

Hello,

I was statemented at school, and had one to one support throughout my whole education. Most of the support I received was for maths and I could never understand it. I had massive meltdowns half the time and flat out refused to do my work. I really had a fear of it as it's basically a foreign language and it feels like you are lost in a foreign country. I never received a formal diagnosis of dyscalculia but my teachers and parents knew I have it, (as well as dyspraxia).