Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

wrongcitizen
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2017, 1:59 am

How do you deal with illogical criticism? For example:

Me: "I like the way this website runs, it's got a neat layout and it's really fast."
Them: "Shut up. You're stupid. You don't know what you're talking about."
Me: "Please tell me why you think that and perhaps I can improve myself so I'm not perceived that way."
Them: "Just shut up."

This is almost typical for me. I seem to attract hate and disgust wherever I go. Something about my body language and demeanor turns people off instantly. Maybe the way I talk or walk or eat, I have no idea, but I would really like to know how some people do it. And by do it I mean avoid constant aggressive and illogical criticism and generally "fit in" to the crowd.

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2017, 2:12 am

What are those people criticizing?

wrongcitizen
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2017, 2:25 am

Shahunshah wrote:

I don't know. They get more hostile when I ask, and they're very elusive and nonverbal.

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2017, 3:01 am

wrongcitizen wrote:
Shahunshah wrote:

I don't know. They get more hostile when I ask, and they're very elusive and nonverbal.
Maybe those people perceive you to be interrupting or annoying them but can't be bothered explaining.

wrongcitizen
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2017, 3:07 am

Shahunshah wrote:
wrongcitizen wrote:
Shahunshah wrote:

Maybe those people perceive you to be interrupting or annoying them but can't be bothered explaining.

Makes sense. However, occasionally they make these criticisms after they've asked me something and I respond the way they wanted (at least it seems).

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2017, 3:22 am

wrongcitizen wrote:
Shahunshah wrote:
wrongcitizen wrote:
Shahunshah wrote:

Makes sense. However, occasionally they make these criticisms after they've asked me something and I respond the way they wanted (at least it seems).
I see how do your interactions with them go?

If they are telling you to shut up for no reason they what they are really doing is form of bullying. They are undermining you for no reason. Maybe you just got to tell them to shut up to their faces.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2017, 8:25 pm

We would have to be there to see you in action I am afraid.

It might help if you described a particular interaction and what both parties said. But we still wouldnt be able to see how you looked or your body language.

Last edited by naturalplastic on 26 Jan 2017, 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

This_Amoeba
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2017, 9:37 pm

They do that because they're not actually interested in discussing things or educating you. They just want a reason to put someone down in order to make themselves feel superior. Most of the time they don't have a reason for their criticism and have no knowledge of the subject they are criticizing you about. That's why they usually do not give reasons or elaborate. Instead they resort to calling you dumb.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2017, 9:53 pm

Some people are just jerks. A lot of them are. Either that, or they think wrongly that everything you say or do is because you think you're better or superior to them, when it's usually the exact opposite. They're the ones who are stupid, not you.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2017, 9:55 pm

If this happens to you on regular basis you may need a therapist to talk to, and my need to do some role playing.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2017, 10:41 pm

wrongcitizen wrote:
How do you deal with illogical criticism?

You avoid the people doing the criticizing.

liveandrew
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Jan 2017, 3:58 am

The vast majority of the time people want you to agree with them about whatever subject they are talking about and any form of discussion is taken as being argumentative. I have exactly the same problem as you, I try to discuss things and am accused of being contrary, disruptive or argumentative when all I'm doing is putting forward my point of view. I've found it necessary to avoid these type of discussions.

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 46 of 200

Listener of all things noisy, viewer of all things bloody, writer of all things sh*t.