Page 1 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

cricketman123
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Jan 2017, 1:34 pm

Hi, Just thought i would show you this You Tube channel of a girl with our condition.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCi4dWa ... roSsyH_L5Q

What an amazing confident young lady

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2017, 2:03 pm

I really don't get how people like that supposedly have the same thing as me - she communicates well, my communication is impaired.

Hippygoth
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Jan 2017, 2:29 pm

iliketrees wrote:
I really don't get how people like that supposedly have the same thing as me - she communicates well, my communication is impaired.

I communicate fairly well too - I've learned various social scripts and personas. Most people have no idea. It only goes wrong when they do or say something unexpected. :D Making a video, giving a talk, performing in general - those things aren't as difficult as dealing with people directly.

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2017, 2:43 pm

iliketrees wrote:

+1

The Unleasher
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2017, 3:19 pm

Hippygoth wrote:
iliketrees wrote:

I communicate fairly well too - I've learned various social scripts and personas. Most people have no idea. It only goes wrong when they do or say something unexpected. :D Making a video, giving a talk, performing in general - those things aren't as difficult as dealing with people directly.

You make a valid point. I'd say I communicate decently. There are some things in life you have to get over with.

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2017, 4:02 pm

The Unleasher wrote:
There are some things in life you have to get over with.

What is it you're suggesting, if anything?

Quote:
Making a video, giving a talk, performing in general - those things aren't as difficult as dealing with people directly.

For you. For me it's the other way round.

cricketman123
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Jan 2017, 4:21 pm

but then this is why they sometimes call Aspergers the hidden condition don't they.

Anyway i think this video here explains it all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2bgTcURrqQ&t=12s

Different person but it shows the mainly it is the feelings we get with Apergers thinking sometimes we are not good enough.

I am going to try and change that though because i know that i am good enough

The Unleasher
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2017, 4:49 pm

iliketrees wrote:
The Unleasher wrote:

Quote:
Making a video, giving a talk, performing in general - those things aren't as difficult as dealing with people directly.

I'm suggesting that maybe people need to leave their bubbles. We'll never have chances if we don't, right? Even if the vast majority of us have social awkwardness, it doesn't mean we should cower away from others. I'm not trying to say every person with autism does, it depends on the individual. Hiding won't solve anything.

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2017, 4:59 pm

The Unleasher wrote:
iliketrees wrote:
The Unleasher wrote:

Quote:

I'm suggesting that maybe people need to leave their bubbles. We'll never have chances if we don't, right? Even if the vast majority of us have social awkwardness, it doesn't mean we should cower away from others. I'm not trying to say every person with autism does, it depends on the individual. Hiding won't solve anything.

What makes you think I'm in a bubble/cowering/hiding? I know you're being general, but you did reply to me saying this.

Hippygoth
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Jan 2017, 5:14 pm

iliketrees wrote:

Yup. And in no way was I intending to invalidate your experience. I simply wanted to point out that there are some of us who communicate well.

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2017, 5:22 pm

Hippygoth wrote:
iliketrees wrote:

Yup. And in no way was I intending to invalidate your experience. I simply wanted to point out that there are some of us who communicate well.

I know, but I really don't get how we're supposed to have the same thing if we're opposites - to me it seems almost like two different disorders being diagnosed as the same thing. Hopefully the people in this field will figure out what's actually the case, though.

Hippygoth
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Jan 2017, 5:28 pm

Could be that we're different enough to have different conditions...or it could simply be that some of us are really good at performing and others aren't. We do after all have personalities and talents outwith being autistic. Just a thought.

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2017, 5:43 pm

Hippygoth wrote:
Could be that we're different enough to have different conditions...or it could simply be that some of us are really good at performing and others aren't. We do after all have personalities and talents outwith being autistic. Just a thought.

It goes beyond performing, though. Communication in general has been the thing I've struggled with the most my entire life, something that really gets in the way, something very obvious given my speech isn't fluent like that no matter what I do or how hard I try. I really don't see how someone who is a strong communicator has the same disorder as me - it's like the complete opposite. I think this is more than personality going on, but I know nothing so maybe it is.

This_Amoeba
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2017, 6:12 pm

It seems like people like this are part of the reason some don't consider aspergers a real condition and think it's a fad. People see this and think aspergers isn't a serious struggle and is easy to get over with. Sometimes I suspect some of these youtubers are fakes and do it for attention. People with autism/aspergers can be able to communicate easily but she just seems to have it way to easy. Here's someone who seems to communicate fine and blend in, but you can definitely tell he has autism. People who don't know what autism is would think he's normal, but people who know the symptoms of it can definitely tell he's an aspie.

https://youtu.be/lO_AGYvMmmY

Hippygoth
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Jan 2017, 6:16 pm

Well, as long as I stick to my script, I'm fine, but as I mentioned before, as soon as the other person does or says something unexpected, I'm lost. When I'm performing I'm not interacting.

I do struggle with communication though - I can't verbalise my thoughts, I can't tell people how I'm feeling. I can't describe myself because I have no idea who I am. I've been performing so long that I've lost myself. I can do different accents and speech patterns, other people's facial expressions and gestures...I've loved acting since I was little, mostly because I'm being someone else.

At work I'm an actor as well as an administrator. I can perform there but I can't make phone calls. Outside of work I run away from people who approach me because I don't know what to do, and get into trouble because I don't remember how I performed the last time I met them (if, due to my facial recognition problems, I remember them at all!).

All this, if I made a video, would be hidden.

Hippygoth
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Jan 2017, 6:20 pm

This_Amoeba wrote:
It seems like people like this are part of the reason some don't consider aspergers a real condition and think it's a fad.

And this in itself is a deeply hurtful attitude. To not be believed is awful. You don't know what it's like to live inside someone else's mind. Women and girls in particular put a lot of effort into blending in and adapting.

It's late here, I'm off to my bed. :)