Page 8 of 9 [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 13 May 2011
Age: 51
Gender: Male
Posts: 13,144
Location: The end of the northwest passage

29 Jan 2017, 6:35 am

Trump's statement that Syrian Christians have been mistreated under Obama is misleading, but contains a grain of truth. Syrian Christians represent a smaller percentage of refugees than their proportion in the Syrian population. However, no one is sure why. The most likely explanation is that they are in Lebanon, which has a friendly government and a large population of Christians already. Another factor is that the UN processes people for the first stage of the refugee process, and they do it in refugee camps. The camps in Syria are different from those in Iraq.

Implying malice by the Obama administration is just more secret Muslim racist nonsense.


_________________
"I find that the best way [to increase self-confidence] is to lie to yourself about who you are, what you've done, and where you're going." - Richard Ayoade


Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Feb 2013
Age: 1020
Gender: Female
Posts: 5,863
Location: Erehwon

29 Jan 2017, 10:31 am

Dox47 wrote:
jrjones9933 wrote:
It stings because it sounds true.

I feel like the labels were and are justified, but it does seem like they backfired.


Scott Alexander over at Slate Star Codex made a pretty convincing case after the election that many of those accusations were overblown or created by taking Trump out of context, and he is not a fan of our new president:

http://slatestarcodex.com/2016/11/16/yo ... ying-wolf/

Incidentally, as someone who spends hours every day reading news sites and blogs out of a compulsive need to feel informed about the world, this blogger is one of the very few people I consider completely trustworthy, even when I disagree with his conclusions. You might try some of his articles that carry the 'politics' tag, definitely worth your time.


Excellent link. Every person who is concerned about racist extremists should read it.


_________________
Don't believe the gender note under my avatar. A WP bug means I can't fix it.


Sigbold
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Jan 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,753
Location: Netherlands

29 Jan 2017, 10:47 am

jrjones9933 wrote:
Syrian Christians represent a smaller percentage of refugees than their proportion in the Syrian population. However, no one is sure why. The most likely explanation is that they are in Lebanon, which has a friendly government and a large population of Christians already.


Or they fled to territories under control of the legitimate government of Syria. Since they got more to fear from the 'moderate' rebels supported by the US and its allies (ignore the spin doctoring by the politician) then from Assad who many of them see as a protector.



Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Apr 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 41,193
Location: Spokane area, Washington state.

29 Jan 2017, 11:16 am

Jacoby wrote:
6 of the 7 countries ban Jews fwiw


Two wrongs don't make a right.


_________________
-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer


adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Jan 2008
Age: 42
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,885

29 Jan 2017, 11:18 am

But 7 rights Trump 6 wrongs.



Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Jan 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,671
Location: Seattle

29 Jan 2017, 12:31 pm

Adamantium wrote:
Excellent link. Every person who is concerned about racist extremists should read it.


You might enjoy this one as well:

http://slatestarcodex.com/2015/10/23/a- ... candidate/

It's pretty funny when you think about it that Trump had much more minority support than Sanders, considering the way Sanders supporters tend to talk about Trump.


_________________
Murum Aries Attigit


jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 13 May 2011
Age: 51
Gender: Male
Posts: 13,144
Location: The end of the northwest passage

29 Jan 2017, 1:08 pm

That article is also worth a read. I want to say you're killin' me, but that would be hyperbolic. I can take their argument apart and dispute things, but focusing on that would miss your point. It would probably also stop me from learning anything new from the article, so it hardly seems worthwhile.

I really hope that this represents a new commitment by the new Trump voters to get involved in politics. I hope they keep an eye on the results of their choices and voice their enthusiasm or resentment. Realistically, I'll feel overjoyed if we break records for turnout in the midterm elections, whatever the results.

Ironically, the voter registration restrictions have had a backlash effect in some places. I try to stay hopeful.

Another way that Trump might break with convention in an interesting way is with the idea that MLKIII discussed in his meeting with Trump, a national ID that is easy for every American to get. That will eliminate a lot of the voter fraud/disenfranchisement argument. I haven't heard the idea floated in 20 years, but I remember conservatives railing against it, locally in TX all the time and occasionally on national shows. I think Pat Buchanan is opposed, but not sure.

Edit: Just remembered, Natl ID morphed into Natl requirements for the states. Texas sued to stop it.


_________________
"I find that the best way [to increase self-confidence] is to lie to yourself about who you are, what you've done, and where you're going." - Richard Ayoade


Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Apr 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 41,193
Location: Spokane area, Washington state.

29 Jan 2017, 8:27 pm

adifferentname wrote:
But 7 rights Trump 6 wrongs.


And how's that?


_________________
-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer


adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Jan 2008
Age: 42
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,885

29 Jan 2017, 8:34 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
adifferentname wrote:
But 7 rights Trump 6 wrongs.


And how's that?


That was a joke, Bill. I capitalised "Trump". Might have been a little too subtle, to be fair. The proper noun sees more use than the common nowadays.



Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Apr 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 41,193
Location: Spokane area, Washington state.

29 Jan 2017, 9:23 pm

adifferentname wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
adifferentname wrote:
But 7 rights Trump 6 wrongs.


And how's that?


That was a joke, Bill. I capitalised "Trump". Might have been a little too subtle, to be fair. The proper noun sees more use than the common nowadays.


Okay. Humor often flies over the heads of us Aspies. :oops:


_________________
-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer


marshall
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 Apr 2007
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,752
Location: Turkey

31 Jan 2017, 12:30 pm

It seems like now that he is actually president we have plenty of "real" issues.



Earthbound
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 20 Feb 2016
Gender: Male
Posts: 756
Location: USA

31 Jan 2017, 1:23 pm

Trump's education pick- Betsy Devos is getting confirmed apparently. She has ZERO experience in education. She has donated to at least 5 people on the confirmation committee. This is crooked and shouldn't be happening, period.

Look at most of his picks- most are people that donated to him and/or other people in congress. Very sickening. How is this fine with people? Is it easy to ignore corruption because your guy won? :roll:



Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Apr 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 41,193
Location: Spokane area, Washington state.

31 Jan 2017, 3:52 pm

Earthbound wrote:
Trump's education pick- Betsy Devos is getting confirmed apparently. She has ZERO experience in education. She has donated to at least 5 people on the confirmation committee. This is crooked and shouldn't be happening, period.

Look at most of his picks- most are people that donated to him and/or other people in congress. Very sickening. How is this fine with people? Is it easy to ignore corruption because your guy won? :roll:


That, and Devos, for one, has done nothing but show how cretinous she is.


_________________
-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer


redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Apr 2012
Age: 58
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,999
Location: Seattle, WA

31 Jan 2017, 4:35 pm

@Kraichgauer - I like you. You're a nice guy. I do worry for you, and others like you, who try to reason with these Trumpettes. They just like arguing for the sake of arguing. If you say white, they'll say black. If you say black, they'll say white. All they'll do is give you a heart attack. I've stopped trying to reason (with them) and I feel better for it. Hopefully, you'll do the same and follow Robin's lead.



Last edited by B19 on 01 Feb 2017, 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.: slurs

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Apr 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 41,193
Location: Spokane area, Washington state.

31 Jan 2017, 4:42 pm

redrobin62 wrote:
@Kraichgauer - I like you. You're a nice guy. I do worry for you, and others like you, who try to reason with these brainless Trumpettes. They just like arguing for the sake of arguing. If you say white, they'll say black. If you say black, they'll say white. All they'll do is give you a heart attack. I've stopped trying to reason with these numbskulls and I feel better for it. Hopefully, you'll do the same and follow Robin's lead.


Yeah, I've been told that by more than one friend on WP. Sometimes not fighting back makes one feel as if one is caving in. Pride goeth before the fall. :lol:


_________________
-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer


androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Sep 2014
Age: 50
Gender: Female
Posts: 6,746
Location: Kingston, Ontario, Canada

31 Jan 2017, 5:08 pm

Earthbound wrote:
Trump's education pick- Betsy Devos is getting confirmed apparently. She has ZERO experience in education. She has donated to at least 5 people on the confirmation committee. This is crooked and shouldn't be happening, period.

It's so fitting that Trump's Secretary of Education is a plagiarist.