Posting anything Trump-related on Facebook

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

NYAspie
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Jan 2017, 8:36 pm

I know this might not be the proper forum for this topic, but given the subject matter, I decided to put it here (plus, this has been rattling around my head for a little while).

Since the inauguration (read: installation) of our current President here in the States (and even in the final run-up to and after the election), I have been sharing Trump-related articles in my Facebook wall. I found these articles interesting, but more importantly, I felt as though it was my duty to make my FB friends aware of what dangers he poses to the nation (and the world at large).

However, there have also been times in the immediate aftermath of my posting these article that my Dad (who is also on Facebook and is my "friend") has given me a warning about this type of activity. The premise of his advice has been that my current employer (and probably future employers) will take a look at my Facebook feed with all this material thereon and no good would come from it.

In light of this, I have presented myself of two options:
1) Don't post anything of this nature to Facebook
2) Delete my Facebook account altogether, although seems a bit extreme.

Any advice?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2017, 9:52 pm

I don't believe most employers would look askance at your political opinions--especially if they are moderate.

I don't think they would like:

1. Communists
2. KKKers
3. Fascists
4. Neo-Nazis
5. Anarchists.

In a word, extremists.

More people than you think dislike Trump.

NYAspie
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Jan 2017, 9:56 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I don't believe most employers would look askance at your political opinions--especially if they are moderate.

1. Communists
2. KKKers
3. Fascists
4. Neo-Nazis
5. Anarchists.

In a word, extremists.

You're right on that last sentence; I don't identify as any of the above politically or ideologically (especially the last four, YIKES!!), rather left-center.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2017, 10:08 pm

I wouldn't worry about that...nothing wrong with sharing articles.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2017, 10:21 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

1. Communists
2. KKKers
3. Fascists
4. Neo-Nazis
5. Anarchists.

In a word, extremists.

I think there's a very strong movement to associate anything pro Trump as being KKK, Fascist, Neo-Nazi.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2017, 10:46 am

Trump is neither new-Nazi nor KKK.

"fascist" is more of a general term. Trump is exhibiting authoritarian tendencies, which I hope don't rise to the level of fascism.

NYAspie
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Jan 2017, 12:54 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
I wouldn't worry about that...nothing wrong with sharing articles.

I doubt anyone outside of my Facebook friends (and actual friends and family IRL) will see them, as I've got my privacy settings to where no one can see my FB page. On saying that, I think this is more a function of both my Dad aging and my wanting to be more active in political affairs with YKW now in office. He also warned me about posting petitions on that same wall trying to get my friends to get on board with the issues I've cared about, saying that one day I'd be called up in front of a committee in Washington (I've since stopped that).

Alliekit
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2017, 2:19 pm

I would suggest just not going over the top with it. maybe like share half the articles you would usually. Unfortunately sharing this too much will have the opposite effect as people will think your attacking tump indiscriminately rather than sharing true real issues

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2017, 4:28 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

"fascist" is more of a general term. Trump is exhibiting authoritarian tendencies, which I hope don't rise to the level of fascism.

He even has his own cheering section already, led by Alt Right leader, Richard Spencer, shouting "Hail Trump! Hail our people! Hail victory!"

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2017, 6:40 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

He even has his own cheering section already, led by Alt Right leader, Richard Spencer, shouting "Hail Trump! Hail our people! Hail victory!"

Victory is theirs. The great purging is finally taking place. Deal with it. I know it will only be a matter of time before I'm flushed too, but the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the one.

MelissaCho
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Jan 2017, 6:49 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

For my opinion, Trump is just a modern day version of Adolf Hitler, just here to mess with our lives. :roll: :roll: Thanks a lot America for messing everything. (want to say something else but trying[i][/i] to be nice about this subject)

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2017, 7:17 pm

EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Victory is theirs. The great purging is finally taking place. Deal with it. I know it will only be a matter of time before I'm flushed too, but the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the one.

Not if the rest of us can help it.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2017, 9:33 pm

I tend to re-post other published stuff rather than outright express my opinion. However people are judged by what they re-post as well.

The primary mantra in Trump's administration is "America first" therefore anything anti_trump would also be construed by the government as "Anti American" so there is a basis for "McCarthyism" (where having pro-social beliefs was construed as being communist) so people posting anti-Trump material on social media could (potentially) be labelled anti-American.

Given he has already signed an anti-muslim bill I would suggest that for a muslim American to post anti-Trump opinions would be asking to be monitored by the FBI

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2017, 11:34 pm

Its not as bad as posting pics of yourself smoking pot, or of yourself driving around the neighborhood blowing up mail boxes with M80's. Not in the same category as stuff they traditionally tell you employers dont wanna see on your facebook.

Ive never heard that said about voicing political opinions on Facebook before. I think Krafty is right. It would matter if you an extremist of some sort (KKK, or maybe even Peta) but not a garden variety pro, or anti GOP person.

NYAspie
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Jan 2017, 1:47 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Its not as bad as posting pics of yourself smoking pot, or of yourself driving around the neighborhood blowing up mail boxes with M80's. Not in the same category as stuff they traditionally tell you employers dont wanna see on your facebook.

Ive never heard that said about voicing political opinions on Facebook before. I think Krafty is right. It would matter if you an extremist of some sort (KKK, or maybe even Peta) but not a garden variety pro, or anti GOP person.

In light of this, I forgot to mention the two other social media platforms I use: Twitter and Instagram. While I've never done it on IG, I've been doing it heavily on Twitter during that same time frame. I do have at least business that I know/am aware of following me, though.