Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

JuliaW
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Jan 2017, 12:49 pm

Ugh. This is too social. LOL I'm in my late forties.
I am undiagnosed, but I'm pretty sure I'm either pddnos or aspie. I like Aspie better as a name. Although NOS at least sounds fast. ;)

I use humor to deflect in uncomfortable situations - You know, like posting on a website for the first time.

I've wandered around WP a few times in the past several years but didn't join because -- Interaction. But now have a reason to join. Yes. It's selfish. :D It's unlikely I'll post much. Though I might wander and read. Maybe, on occasion, I might post something.

Through childhood I was called weird, odd, special, gifted. Blah blah blah. I usually only had one close friend at a time. I still don't do well hanging out with more than one person. And that's after the panic of interaction has subsided some. Even social media and forums confuse me. So many conversations happening at one time. Mind blowing. :/

I keep trying to figure out what you all would want to know about me, but I guess I should focus on what I feel like letting you know instead. LOL

Somewhere around the age of 9 I think, I asked my mom if I was Autistic. She didn't think so, so I let it go. But the older I get the worse it gets.

Things that annoy me? Tags and seams. I hate socks because of the seams and because they twist and choke. t-shirt collars and sleeves. There are loads of other things I'm sure but since I avoid a lot of things and people, I don't encounter them on a daily basis.

My personal fascinations? People. Human behavior. Love. I'm glad these have been my fascination because they've helped me blend in. :D I've learned a lot from many of the Star Trek series due to Data, Odo and Seven of Nine. I grew up watching TV shows like sitcoms and cop shows and then pretending the stories for myself later.

It turns out I'm compelled to write. So I guess that makes me a writer. That's one of the reasons I finally spoke up here. I am finding that what I write gets critiqued as lacking certain qualities. But I leave them out intentionally. But I think that's because of my autism. I get overwhelmed and overstimulated and when I read, I want a nice quiet story. LOL So I was curious if this is just me or if it's common. So I am here looking for Beta readers. People to help me figure out what my stories need or don't need. As a warning. My characters do have meltdowns. Write what you know, right? LOL

Most of my stuff is self-dubbed "Aspie Romance." At least one of my characters is usually on the spectrum. The writer definitely is.

I am married. Hubby is also on the spectrum but also high functioning. That can really be a challenge for both of us some days. Thankfully, he's pretty easy going. :D

I can't think of what else to say. If you ask, I'll likely answer. I'm a freaking open book because I want people to know they're not the freaks they think they are. :D

Thanks for listening and checking me out. :D I'm glad you all know how hard this is. :D

(I'll have a post up in the writing forums most likely. Or you can pm if you're interested in beta reading - mostly romance but not bodice ripper stuff.)

Oh! And I'm constantly worried about doing things wrong because that will make me stand out. I also worry about doing things too right, because that'll make me stand out too. ;) Hopefully I managed this post "Just right". :D

And I use smileys because I need faces to read. Something I did figure out. Most likely due to an abusive alcoholic sister. Apparently that's a motivator.

Enough rambling? :D

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2017, 1:10 pm

Welcome! I'm interested in reading your writing. I enjoy reading about Aspie characters.

Glflegolas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Jan 2017, 2:59 pm

Well, since I spent the time to actually read what you wrote, I suppose it would only be polite to say hello, eh?

Myers-Briggs personality: The Commander
Asperger's Quiz: 79/111, both neurodiverse and neurotypical traits present. AQ score: 23 Raads-r score: here

shadowtag
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Jan 2017, 6:26 pm

Hi JuliaW, yes the initial reaching out part can be difficult, it's an acquired skill to be sure.

Humor indeed diffuses the tension... it can be useful.

I enjoyed reading your introduction, pleasant enough to read, somewhat relatable anecdotes, light humor, I'm confident you can write a good story.

Anywho, welcome, I hope the community proves beneficial to you; hope I didn't flatter too much and so forth.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2017, 6:41 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :D

Hippygoth
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Jan 2017, 3:56 am

Hello, welcome. I too am a big fan of smileys. :)

JuliaW
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 Jan 2017, 5:27 pm

Thank you for the welcomes and encouraging words. :D And some good smart alec comments. :D

We had our granddaughter spend the night last night. She's four and a very random little thing. LOL She touches me. It's so weird. LMAO This is, I think, one of those places I can say something like that and not "raise eyebrows." LOL Children touching me is one of those things. But I have to stay calm because I don't want to make her think i hate her. :p bwah! I survived. :D

I'll keep those of you who mentioned it in mind for when I get the beta ready. :D Thank you. :D

Edit: I hadn't realized how looooonnnnngg my original post was. Thanks for sticking it out. :D

TheWarrior
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Jan 2017, 5:40 pm

JuliaW wrote:
Thank you for the welcomes and encouraging words. :D And some good smart alec comments. :D

We had our granddaughter spend the night last night. She's four and a very random little thing. LOL She touches me. It's so weird. LMAO This is, I think, one of those places I can say something like that and not "raise eyebrows." LOL Children touching me is one of those things. But I have to stay calm because I don't want to make her think i hate her. :p bwah! I survived. :D

I'll keep those of you who mentioned it in mind for when I get the beta ready. :D Thank you. :D

Edit: I hadn't realized how looooonnnnngg my original post was. Thanks for sticking it out. :D

I have two nieces and I got used to human touch when playing with them, haha. They hug me a lot and hold my hand.
Children are great because they are spontaneous and they kinda force you to open up.

And welcome. I'm new here too btw.

JuliaW
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 Jan 2017, 5:58 pm

@TheWarrior

Children are spontaneous. LOL I'm pretty good with hugs and hand holding, but she'll just suddenly reach up and touch my face or body. it's startling. I think I just have to get used to it again.

That's fantastic that you have nieces. :D I love being an aunt. I worry less about doing things wrong with those kids. My duty as an auntie is to be weird. :D Maybe I need to think of that as my grandmother duty too?

And welcome to you too. :D

muslimmetalhead
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2017, 8:33 pm

Hello, there. First post I've made on this site for ages. Just sayin hi, I guess. Welcome.

spiderman123
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Jan 2017, 7:07 pm

kazanscube
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2017, 8:52 pm

Hello, Hello, Hello and welcome to wrongplanet as, I hope being here will help you with any difficulties you might have and being able to find information that is not only helpful to you but, meeting like-minded people along the way too.

JuliaW
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Feb 2017, 3:47 pm

Thank you for more welcomes. :D

Polly
Raven
Raven

28 Feb 2017, 3:58 am

Hi julia,
I'm married to an aspie too (29 yrs) it can be interesting can't it.
Though we're still waiting on the grandkids :(
I'd also love to read your stuff when it's ready.
Welcome :D