Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

catchme
Butterfly
Butterfly

31 Jan 2017, 3:21 pm

AngelRho wrote:
Personally...

I find rambling to be attractive. I'd listen to ya!

Lol, methinks you speak too soon. ;)

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2017, 6:13 am

catchme wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
Personally...

Oh no...and if I ever did NOT want you to talk, then I'd just find other things for your lips to do. :wink:

catchme
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Feb 2017, 8:37 am

AngelRho wrote:
catchme wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
Personally...

Oh no...and if I ever did NOT want you to talk, then I'd just find other things for your lips to do. :wink:

Gross.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2017, 9:52 am

catchme wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
catchme wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
Personally...

Gross.

See? You're short on words already. My work here is done.

In all seriousness, do you have an aversion to kissing? "Gross" isn't an automatic reaction I'd normally expect, but then again not everybody likes it.

pasty
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Feb 2017, 11:26 am

I think peppermints would be a better alternative than rocks. I have a peppermint in my mouth almost constantly when I'm not at home. It helps me with my anxiety. I prevent talking too much by avoiding talking to anyone at all. That's the only solution I have found. I have a 100% success rate with awkward and regretful interactions. I will think everything is normal and fine, and then something (but I don't know what) happens to make it weird. If I can stick to yes/no answers and not initiate verbal interaction, we're all better off.

idonthaveanickname
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Feb 2017, 2:01 pm

I'm quite the opposite. People have to get me to START talking. I always wait for the other person to start a conversation. However, I've been working on speaking up for myself more, especially where I live, where everybody has a mental illness of some kind in various degrees of severity. Like right now, there's this guy at the library who won't shut up. I think he's drunk or something. I don't know why the security guard won't throw him out. I thought about saying something to him, but maybe not. I'd rather not get yelled at.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2017, 2:36 pm

idonthaveanickname wrote:
I'm quite the opposite. People have to get me to START talking. I always wait for the other person to start a conversation. However, I've been working on speaking up for myself more, especially where I live, where everybody has a mental illness of some kind in various degrees of severity. Like right now, there's this guy at the library who won't shut up. I think he's drunk or something. I don't know why the security guard won't throw him out. I thought about saying something to him, but maybe not. I'd rather not get yelled at.

You're actually ahead of the game, though. People who are quiet and make a point to LISTEN to other people actually get a lot more respect and wield a lot of influence over others. It may sound strange, but it's true. We make ourselves easy targets, but that's just part of the tradeoff. This allows you to fire back at people with things that interest them--NOT because you're an expert, but because you LISTENED and LEARNED from them. You become interesting, and the few times you do speak, they will hang on your every word.

Speaking of which, catchme is surprisingly quiet for someone who admittedly has trouble knowing when to quit. Perhaps her issue has resolved itself?

catchme
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Feb 2017, 8:00 pm

AngelRho wrote:
catchme wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
catchme wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
Personally...

Gross.

In all seriousness, do you have an aversion to kissing? "Gross" isn't an automatic reaction I'd normally expect, but then again not everybody likes it.

I thought you were talking about oral sex.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2017, 8:53 pm

catchme wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
catchme wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
catchme wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
Personally...

Gross.

Eeeeeeeeeewwwwwwww!! !! ! That's disgusting!! !! Why would you think that?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2017, 2:37 am

AngelRho wrote:
catchme wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
catchme wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
catchme wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
Personally...

Gross.

Eeeeeeeeeewwwwwwww!! ! ! ! That's disgusting!! ! ! Why would you think that?

In all fairness, I also got that vibe, though thought it was odd coming from you.

rtmpgt
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Feb 2017, 7:27 am

Take that goddamn stone out of your mouth. Not only can you choke on it, it's like... Super bad for your teeth.

Chew on some gum or something.

Private Idaho
Toucan
Toucan

05 Feb 2017, 10:43 am

I was a blabber mouth for many years droning on about my special interests without realizing I was boring the heck out of people. Seemed natural to me. In the last ten years or so I've made an effort to keep quiet and listen. Small talk bores me but I do like listening to people who very knowledgeable in a particular area, especially science and history, and also those who have a gift for storytelling.

Imightbeonthespectrum
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Feb 2017, 10:13 pm

Hi, I have logically thought about having my tongue removed... So I understand this completely. Maybe putting something in my mouth isn't a bad idea. The problem is currently I live with my mom and it's either me or her doing the talking. When she talks I get very overwhelmed very quickly as she talks non stop about everything. I think she is also on the spectrum, but never diagnosed and 73 the age also plays up. Strangely when I talk I keep my train of thought better and it's stimulating somehow, but then I take over the conversation and socially I tend to override other conversations when I find a word I can talk about... You are not alone.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2017, 10:24 pm

Imightbeonthespectrum wrote:
Hi, I have logically thought about having my tongue removed... So I understand this completely. Maybe putting something in my mouth isn't a bad idea. The problem is currently I live with my mom and it's either me or her doing the talking. When she talks I get very overwhelmed very quickly as she talks non stop about everything. I think she is also on the spectrum, but never diagnosed and 73 the age also plays up. Strangely when I talk I keep my train of thought better and it's stimulating somehow, but then I take over the conversation and socially I tend to override other conversations when I find a word I can talk about... You are not alone.

Reminds me of my relationship with my late mother. I promise, I didn't kill her! :lol:

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2017, 9:40 am

I just asked my husband if I could go back to working on my computer. He was telling me about some gadget or app he had read about and thought was neat. I wasn't interested but I politely conversed for a couple minutes - without enthusiasm on my part - and since he was apparently going to go on at length, I asked if I could go back to what I was doing.

He apologized and said sure. He seems very bad at picking up social cues, at least from me, so I have to be explicit with him.

As to the OP ... I recommend if you want something in your mouth, use a sugarless candy or gum. Not a rock, and not a toothpick.

Onyxaxe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Feb 2017, 10:30 am

Just take a deep breath first. Try to calm down, I'm quiet voiced myself but I used to talk too fast for people to understand. These tricks worked for me without the danger of choking on stones or toothpicks lol.