naturalplastic wrote:
EzraS wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
EzraS wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
EzraS wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
EzraS wrote:
So the bald eagle is the well known bird symbol of America and the owl is the lesser known bird symbol.

Darmok wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
EzraS wrote:

I said, "So the bald eagle is the well known bird symbol of America and the owl is the lesser known bird symbol [of America]". That was not a question, but rather a simple offhand statement of personal perception.

Why did you expend verbiage to write this?

Whether it was an observation, or whether it was question, either way, it makes no difference to how another person would respond to your statement.

Your statement showed a total lack of understanding because its factually wrong on two counts demanding correction of you by others on both of those two counts. Those two counts being (1)you thought that we were saying that the owl is a "bird symbol of America" which it is not (and no one said it was), and (b) that the owl as a symbol is lesser known than the bald eagle is as a symbol (when in fact the owl is at least as well known).

So what you're saying is the bald eagle and owl are interchangeable American symbols unless the owl is with the pussycat and or a goose is making a phone call to Richard Gere. But what if it's a Canadian Goose?

Then it's a black pigeon on you,and a cardinal sin, as well as being an albatross around your neck!

Last edited by naturalplastic on 03 Feb 2017, 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2017, 6:51 am

I think the owl would really be the third national fowl of the United States of America. This was more the true-to-life second, discovered by Jim Hensen:

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privelege of owning yourself" - Rudyard Kipling

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2017, 7:53 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
I think the owl would really be the third national fowl of the United States of America. This was more the true-to-life second, discovered by Jim Hensen:

I seem to remember hearing or reading that the turkey was actually considered instead of the bald eagle.

Also that the turkey got it's name from a Yiddish word for peacock, because that's what someone either thought turkey resembled or mistook them for.

I'm feeling too lazy to research either of those.

Of course none of what I'm blathering about has anything to do with owls or Moloch - perhaps.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2017, 9:18 am

EzraS wrote:
I seem to remember hearing or reading that the turkey was actually considered instead of the bald eagle.

I think it's time to change it to the ostrich.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2017, 10:08 am

EzraS wrote:
techstepgenr8tion wrote:

Also that the turkey got it's name from a Yiddish word for peacock, because that's what someone either thought turkey resembled or mistook them for.

I'm feeling too lazy to research either of those.

Of course none of what I'm blathering about has anything to do with owls or Moloch - perhaps.

Yeah Ben Franklin lobbied for the turkey as our national bird, but the other Founding Fathers outvoted him for the eagle.

The "turkey" is, oddly enough, named after the country of that name. Back when the Americas were first being discovered the Spanish conquistadors were introduced to turkeys by the Aztecs in Mexico. Turkey raising soon spread to the home country of Spain. And then spread south and east from Spain to the Arab world -which was ruled by the Ottoman Turkish empire. An empire that also ruled south east Europe. Turkey raising then spread to western europe, including England, by way of the Turkish/Arab world via eastern Europe. So when the folks in England first got the birds they called them "the chicken of Turkey" (even though the birds actually came from the Americas).

Turkeys were already old hat in England by the time the Pilgrims landed on Plymouth Rock.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2017, 12:02 pm

Turkeys were also domesticated by the Native people in the southeast.
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 111328.htm
Heritage turkey breeds.
https://livestockconservancy.org/index. ... age-turkey

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2017, 12:15 pm

EzraS wrote:

There Are Four Lights!