Feeling drained and/or stressed out by dealing with life.

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

questor
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2017, 12:15 pm

I've noticed that many, many of us on the Autism spectrum mention feeling drained, tired, and/or stressed out after dealing with their sensory issues, social situations, and any other facets of their conditions for several hours or longer. I have the same problem, but my point is, that this may be something to look into.

Why do we feel so much more drained/stressed than NTs? I think that there is a neural and/or biological reason for this. Perhaps if the cause of this can be pinned down, it may be possible to come up with a treatment to help relieve some of these feelings. It wouldn't be a cure, but it would help. It would be best to look among natural herbs, foods, and other plants for a solution, as drugs tend to have dangerous side effects.

Hope the medical community looks into this.

idonthaveanickname
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Jan 2017, 2:50 pm

I, for one, get stressed out really easily and I have a hard time dealing with it. I mean, I'm learning some new coping skills to help me get through stressful situations, but I still seem to be stuck in my old ways. Especially in social situations is when I'm most stressed. I absolutely HATE getting into confrontations and arguments with people. It makes me nervous and I don't know what to do but just stand there and take it. The other person always wins. I never know the right thing to say and I can't think straight because of all the stress. I either say nothing or explode, screaming at the top of my lungs. That has happened a couple of times between me and my stepmom. I ended up screaming "F*ck you!" at her at one point. I'm literally shaking afterwards if I get yelled or screamed at by somebody. Another thing that stresses me out real bad is changes in my routine or sudden change of plans. I'm hoping to move into my own apartment soon, but I know I'm going to be really stressed out about it. I hope I can deal with it ok and not have an anxiety attack or something. I've had a few of those, too. I feel stress every day at the nursing home where I'm living right now. There's drama all the time, people yelling and screaming at each other, fighting, people talking to themselves. It's like being in a giant psych ward with over 200 mentally ill people. So just dealing with that on a daily basis wears me out, at least emotionally. So yes, I do feel drained and stressed out by dealing with life, and even more so when I'm out on my own, living independently. But I should be ok.