Does anyone else here absolutely hate having AS?

Page 4 of 6 [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

scrulie
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2007, 11:24 am

Sopho wrote:
scrulie wrote:
I hated it before I knew what it was. I don't hate it now I do know.

Same with me.
My life is a lot better now I know I have AS.

Me too! Knowledge is power! I'm going from strength to strength. :P

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2007, 11:27 am

right here!
I hate AS I hate having it and I hate myself for having it
I'm living a pretty miserable existance in an NT house and it's horrible
I will never like my AS,
I will hate it to the grave!

nobodyzdream
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2007, 11:29 am

There are times I wish I was more social, I've had meltdowns over the idea of having no friends and such, but I don't really want the drama that goes along with them, lol.

It depends what mood you catch me in-if I'm depressed, I hate that I cannot go out and do things like everyone else can. I hate that I need to know 2 weeks in advance if we're going to dinner one night, and exactly what time we will be leaving. I hate being scatterbrained. I hate not even knowing what day it is-I must look like a complete moron to most people, lol.

But that's when it's nice to not know anyone, because I don't tend to worry too much about what the people I don't know think of me. They know nothing of me, I know nothing of them, I'd prefer it that way, lol-that way when I do goof up in front of them, it just looks like I made a normal mistake... and they don't know it's an every day constant thing.

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2007, 11:49 am

scrulie wrote:
Sopho wrote:
scrulie wrote:

Same with me.

Me too! Knowledge is power! I'm going from strength to strength. :P

SAME HERE!

earthdweller
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 May 2007, 11:51 am

I have some people to compare myself to so that I can get better precision of who I am even though that I only have similarities to AS and not the diagnoses.

I also think that many AS people, even with their high I.Q or that which is said to be high on the I.Q continuum, are too opinionating and not into enough objectiveness to show that there is room for a second opinion on things.

Anyways, I wouldn't like being similar to AS or having AS if the world that I know is not reality.

Pikachu
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2007, 12:14 pm

I believe (and always will believe) that AS is a part of me, makes me who I am, and am happy this way

When I found out (I was never told) that I had been diagnosed with AS I actually did not want to believe that, but as the weeks after me finding out passed I accepted it was part of me, but I still remain relatively angered at the person who gave me the diagnosis and all the others that knew about it but never told me. I was diagnosed when I was 15/16, so I assume everyone was worried how I would have taken the news, I would have taken it better than finding out the way I did

These days I am proud to be an aspie and want the world to know that :D

Allegedly away with the fairies for 6-7 years

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2007, 12:34 pm

earthdweller wrote:
I have some people to compare myself to so that I can get better precision of who I am even though that I only have similarities to AS and not the diagnoses.

I also think that many AS people, even with their high I.Q or that which is said to be high on the I.Q continuum, are too opinionating and not into enough objectiveness to show that there is room for a second opinion on things.

Anyways, I wouldn't like being similar to AS or having AS if the world that I know is not reality.

HUH?

Who said AS people are unjustly opinionated?

Who said the AS view isn't real? Sometimes it IS the real view. All too often it is more precise or just another way of looking at things.

Steve

Bart21
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2007, 12:58 pm

Sopho wrote:
scrulie wrote:

Same with me.

I can say the same, knowing it has improved the situation greatly.
As they'd say in Dutch, you can see the trees through the forrest finnaly.
However all in all i'm still of far worse off than my NT brothers.
And i am seriously jealouse of them.

nobodyzdream
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2007, 2:16 pm

earthdweller wrote:

I dunno, I can see where you are coming from, I think.... not positive. Correct me if I'm wrong. I've also seen just people in general are sometimes highly opinionated and think their way is the only way :P That's not just an AS thing, there are a lot of people with AS here who don't do that and do look at things objectively on a lot of things. I'm opinionated, but tend to be open to all opinions-unless I don't understand them. When that happens, it's not that I'm not taking a second opinion, I'm just not fully comprehending what someone is saying, so it sounds illogical to me. I have to read something several times to understand, or have others point it out to me a lot, and then I say my "sorry"s and whatnot and am fine.

As far as the last part-do you mean with socializing? As in since the world is pretty much all about socializing, and you're stuck in your own little world and can't really participate fully... ummm... what the hell am I trying to say? lol.

Since the world is all about socializing and being able to read people for the most part, and you do just fine in it, do you mean you wouldn't like the feeling of being somewhat isolated or restricted to your own little world? It does have it's perks-for us, it is our reality :) We just don't do well in the majority's perspective of what reality is.

Norah_W
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 May 2007, 2:38 pm

I hate it. All it does is cause trouble for me socially and at work. I don't have any of the positive AS traits.

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2007, 2:40 pm

Norah_W wrote:
I hate it. All it does is cause trouble for me socially and at work. I don't have any of the positive AS traits.

there's positive AS traits 8O

Norah_W
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 May 2007, 2:56 pm

Kilroy wrote:
Norah_W wrote:

Yes, there are! It would be positive to have an interest in something useful and a desire to find out as much as possible for it, for instance. Being able to "think outside the box" and come up with different solutions to problems is positive. Being immune to social games and such crap and really hating to join in them is positive.

These are all positive traits that many Aspies have, but I don't have them--I only have the negative ones that cause me trouble socially.

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2007, 2:56 pm

Kilroy wrote:
Norah_W wrote:

You're kidding, right? Intense study, possibly better visual, longterm and/or short term memories, vocabulary, spatial, math, artistic, etc.....

ALL POSITIVE TRAITS associated with AS!

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2007, 3:01 pm

I didnt get a lot of those-if any :lol:

Fiz
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2007, 4:16 pm

This post merely serves the purpose of expressing my opinions more than anything else, based on what I have read and taken in.

Is AS a disease?

No no no no no no, and once more for the man in the shed - NO!! !! A disease is technically a state of dis-ease within the mind or body caused largely by external factors. Some are catching, some are not. Also(and this is my main point), diseases tend to express themselves very similarly in individuals as they have a distinct set of symptoms. These symptoms are expressed in anyone affected by a disease in almost exactly the same way, and therefore, take pretty much the same course in anyone affected by it. Syndromes, on the other hand, are a different ball game altogether. Syndromes are a collection of symptoms associated with a specific mental or physical impairment/disorder/difference, but can be expressed differently from one person to another, or, in some cases, some symptoms or behavioural patterns are not exhibited at all. This is where, I believe, Asperger's falls under. It is not a disease as we are NOT all the same and do not display all the same character differences, thus far it is a syndrome. One thing we all have in common is some form of social anxiety and awkwardness. However, not all of us have life long obsessions, for some they last days or weeks only. Some of us may be hypersensitive to noise, whereas some of us are not. Some of us may loathe and detest being touched by others, whereas some of us are unaffected by this. And so the differences continue.

Hate having AS?

I don't, purely because I don't know anything else (even though I only found last year I had AS, boy was that a relief or what knowing why I was 'different'?). Yes, I am surrounded by those without Asperger's on a regular basis and, although I see all these people (whether it be at work, waiting at a bus stop, round visiting my family etc etc), I still cannot fully comprehend what their thought processes are like (in some cases however, to me it would be like looking in my junk mail folder) in the same way that they don't full understand us. Life is not without it's problems or anxieties for anyone. In fact ,there are probably just as many pros and cons to 'normal' life as there are in 'aspie' life. It's just that these problems are slightly different. But how can I wish to be something that I don't fully understand in the first place? Furthermore, what is the point of wishing for something that is never going to happen anyway (a waste of brain power, thus energy) when I can just be proud of who I am? In my mind, this makes for a much happier existence.

Living alone or the need for friends?

I have seen some people on here that don't feel the need to have friends and prefer being by themselves. If you genuinely feel this way, then great. But some do not feel like this. In fact, from what I have seen on here, many of us want friends but, inevitably because of our lack of social skills, find this somewhat difficult, resulting in loneliness. From the people I have spoken to about this issue, the main reasons why are that we can appear a bit too clingy, we pretend to be something we are not (people can see right through this) and, yes, we try too hard. There may be more reasons why, but I have listed those mainly because these were the things that I was mainly guilty of. I am sure that there are other reasons (many of which are not our fault such people thinking we are weird in a bad way, I have had that too). As a child or teenager, life is very difficult as an aspie, as children and teenagers tend to be less accepting of people that are different. You usually are lucky to meet people that will accept you at that age. The more confident aspies around us fare better , I am sure, that those of us that are somewhat more introverted (like I used to be). Nowadays, the only front I will put on for the public is a confident one(inside I am screaming like a little girl lol). My attitude is also that of if you don't like me, tough, but if you do like me, great. I put on a 'don't give a crap' front too. I am also willing to engage in small talk when I first meet someone, and then once I truly get to know them better, they will then know not to bother with crappy small talk. Largely, nowadays, I am just myself as there is no point being anything else, as I am kidding myself and everyone around me, and what's the point of that when I don't need to change?
It's not just aspies that falter when it comes to social skills. NT's do too. I happen to know a particular NT female. She had all these hopes of getting married, having lots of friends and having a great career. But because she lacks extremely in the loyalty department, as well as not having a clue how to behave appropriately in my opinion, she has pretty much lost everything (us aspies are loyal you see...). She once had a good group of friends (some of whom she was bitchy to), a good boyfriend (who she treated like crap) and was working her way towards a good career (she was actually doing ok at this from what I hear). However, she ended up losing her boyfriend and most of her friends because she has this 'I am dead special' attitude and likes to get on her high horse quite a bit. The friends she has left don't often see her much now. So now all she does is go to work, go home, eat and sleep. She is incredibly lonely and feels the only way to get attention is to flash her breasts off, but that only attracts short term attention, not long term. We are not that bad, now are we people?

Every man, woman and child, aspie or not, has negtives and positives in their personalities. Think of all the positive aspects of the aspie personality as opposed to the negatives, live for those positives every day and be proud of who you are.

The_Cucumber
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2007, 4:27 pm

I actually enjoy having AS. To me, its just who I am.

This is helped by my optimistic belief that no matter how bad things get, things will aways work out, I may not even be alive to see them work out, but they will work out. Every genocide has fallen at least a little short of success, every war has an end, and every tyrant eventually falls.

Many of the problems facing AS is a result of being in a neurotypical world. (hence the site name: Wrong Planet), if we lived in an all aspie society people would expect others to be socially awkward.

To you, I recommend going into a career that suits your obsession. All Aspies have an obsession, try to turn yours into a career, and you will be very happy. To "cure" AS would be nothing more then to change someone's personality.