Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2017, 3:03 am

https://vimeo.com/6780321

Do not post, or comment, or judge, or say anything, before watching parts of the video.

The video is very long so:
Skip to the good parts: 21:43 watch the case of Graham boy.
29:30 the case of the indian family.
and 37:00 the discrimination in China.

amykitten
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Feb 2017, 5:41 am

I'm a heightst. But since I'm only 164cm there isn't that many guys smaller than me in general. However the majority of my ex's have been 185cms or above. It's not that I won't date someone smaller than me, I'm just very picky on a number of things. For me personally I'd like number 4 on the guy line up and to me 1 wasn't attractive at all. Then again I tend to be drawn naturally to Asian guys who tend to be short so for them there is an exception.

I don't know if I agree with all the procedures, but I can understand why guys and parents want to do it, but if it was my kid and they where just short then I'm not sure I would agree to do so. I guess I'll ask their views on it and see what happens. I think its a load of rubbish that being tall as a toddler makes you more successful though. I've been tall until I was 10, when I just decided I liked this height so apparently I should be successful? Maybe the autism in me is stopping that though.

I don't think China will change over night though, but I'm glad the people are standing up for equality. However, I believe the discrimination will still apply, just subconsiously, more like everywhere else. So maybe it does go back to the whole alpha male concept and bigger is better in this case and is more attractive regardless of sex.

Luhluhluh
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2017, 7:45 am

I admit, I've only watched the first one about Graham and definitely feel a bit disgusted that they're subjecting him to injections at this early age. He's seven. It's really a bit too early to be this worried about his height.

I didn't catch it but did either of the parents mention if they were short a child and what their current height is? Because if they're both normal height, and THEIR relatives are normal height, I'd be curious to see what their growth was like in childhood. (For example, my sister was a small baby and a small child, shorter than average, but she shot up when she was around 11 or 12 and she's taller than the average woman now - she's like 5'10". Now her son is just like her - he just turned 10 and is only just now reaching 'average' height and he's growing like a weed.)

I'll have to watch the other stories when I have more time.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2017, 8:50 am

^ but there's a reason why they are worried about his height; whether it's too early or not.

Luhluhluh
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2017, 9:45 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
^ but there's a reason why they are worried about his height; whether it's too early or not.

I'll have to watch it again then because the only reason I heard was that his peers are taller than he is and he gets teased. Did I miss something? I may have. I was drinking my coffee and had just gotten up. I'll go back and watch it again.

Okay I watched it again. They're concerned because he's being teased, right? Unless there's more later.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2017, 11:12 am

Luhluhluh wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

I'll have to watch it again then because the only reason I heard was that his peers are taller than he is and he gets teased. Did I miss something? I may have. I was drinking my coffee and had just gotten up. I'll go back and watch it again.

Okay I watched it again. They're concerned because he's being teased, right? Unless there's more later.

The reason is because the whole society is heightist, when it comes to jobs, love, respect... all.
These parents know it well, and they don't want this fate for their boy, I somehow understand them despite the disturbing means - they don't want him to end up as a low self esteem, morally damaged and forever alone man.

I am sure if genetic modification will be available, most parents would want their kids to not be short.

Luhluhluh
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2017, 11:47 am

Okay well I got that. But I'm not understanding why you would subject your otherwise healthy child to unnecessary medical treatment at that age. Nobody likes to hear of a child getting bullied, but then again it also demonstrates how society's unhealthy obsession with height will drive parents to give perfectly medically healthy children hormones that have been correlated with an increase risk of cancer later on in life. So yes, while this film was about short men, it does demonstrate how sick this height obsession is.

And as for romantic preferences, private preferences cannot be legislated. Each of us knows what it’s like to be the victim of discrimination, but so has each of us rejected someone else for characteristics we deem undesirable. It is unfortunate that humans can be superficial, but it’s an aspect of our nature.

I felt like a lot of these guys, it isn't so much their height holding them back as their own self-image. Leg-lengthening for 2.5"?? He could have bought the shoe lifts for a fraction of that, no pain, and gotten the same results. He acted like he had accomplished something and then he says something like "now that I've been through leg lengthening, I know that I am strong enough to handle anything." And I'm thinking "what? You weren't even strong enough to handle being short."

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2017, 2:35 pm

Luhluhluh wrote:

I felt like a lot of these guys, it isn't so much their height holding them back as their own self-image. Leg-lengthening for 2.5"?? He could have bought the shoe lifts for a fraction of that, no pain, and gotten the same results. He acted like he had accomplished something and then he says something like "now that I've been through leg lengthening, I know that I am strong enough to handle anything." And I'm thinking "what? You weren't even strong enough to handle being short."

It's something that one has to handle it ...usually since being toddler, this only shows you how damaged he is and desperate he is to change the reality he faced and will always face (I don't think +2.5" will change much either for someone who's significantly shorter than average).

It's for the same reason why obese people go for horrible procedures such as the gastric sleeve surgery.

I remember a fat friend told me she is going for the gastric sleeve surgery, she literally said: "There's the fact that my weight is affecting in all aspects, people don't take me seriously because I am very fat, I can't wear many things because I am very fat, I am less likely to be hired because I am very fat, I don't get much respect because I am very fat, and no guy asks me out because I am very fat".

Do you think I am against a magical cure for AS? I am not, I would take it.

Stalk
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2017, 9:55 am

After watching the video, I thought, maybe this is the same thing that women that feel their breasts are too small, go through, and op for plastic surgery. To cure their confidence.

I guess it is easier said than done, if you are constantly reminded. And every time a woman says to me she wants a tall guy then I'm wondering, am I tall enough? When I should be thinking... nothing. But it does affect my confidence. I don't like to doubt myself or not like myself. I would like to love myself the way I am without having to submit to other people's expectations.

Bridgette77
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Feb 2017, 3:48 pm

I found this to be both disturbing and tragicly sad! What I'm about to say might end up very confusing, but I hope it's understandable. Though I don't stick to a "Looks Prefference" when it comes to dating, I've always internally wish for someone who was short, due to my hight, but always ended up with men who, for the most part, were 5 feet 9 inches and above. LOL. Short men are few and far in between. If I had stuck to that preference, I'd forever been alone. Other than hight, I got everything I wanted in the man I'm with now. If I could just shrink him...
:wink: :lol:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2017, 3:50 pm

LOL.....I'm a shrimp at 5 foot 4.75 inches.

Bridgette77
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Feb 2017, 7:02 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
LOL.....I'm a shrimp at 5 foot 4.75 inches.

LOL Kraftie, have I told you lately, that you amuse me?
:wink:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2017, 11:44 pm

You're a sweet lady yourself :D

Bridgette77
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Feb 2017, 12:09 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
You're a sweet lady yourself :D