Isn't it wrong that an 18 year old can fight in a war, but c

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

NewTime
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2017, 3:29 pm

Isn't it wrong that an 18 year old can fight in a war, but can't drink a beer? Either 18 year olds should legally be allowed to drink beer or shouldn't legally be allowed to fight in a war.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2017, 3:36 pm

Americas alcohol laws are nuts. In the UK you can drink at 18.

Those stuffy conservative parents who won't even let their kids sip alcohol till their 21 are morons. If you turn something into this dark alluring thing rather than just a regular drink you have at dinner, you cause problems. It becomes a ting to be cool overindulgence in.

In Europe they don't have the drink problems teenagers in the US and Britain have because wine is just a drink you have with dinner.

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2017, 3:46 pm

hurtloam wrote:
In the UK you can drink at 18.

5 to drink it, 16 to have with a meal, 18 to buy it yourself.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2017, 4:03 pm

In Canada the legal drinking age in most places is 19. And yet I've seen a lot of birthday cards for people turning 21 where they joke about about the person getting totally hammered. I do not drink alcohol. And I think people killing each other to "solve" world problems is wrong no matter what, especially when many of the people who die are civilians. :(

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

31 Jan 2017, 6:04 pm

I don't get it either. It doesn't make sense why 18 year olds can go to bars but cant drink until they're 21. Another thing I don't understand is why 18 year olds can join the military or become cops & get handguns but they're not allowed to buy em until they're 21.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2017, 8:26 pm

The legal age for buying beer, wine and sparkling wine here is 18, while harder liquor is 21.

nick007 wrote:
Another thing I don't understand is why 18 year olds can join the military or become cops & get handguns but they're not allowed to buy em until they're 21.
Wow, I've never given that any thought before! That is pretty strange.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

diablo
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Jan 2017, 9:03 pm

I thought it was stupid having to wait until 21 when I was younger, but now at an older age 18 year olds seem so young. It wasn't that hard back then to get your hands on some booze.

With our binge drinking culture I wouldn't be in favor of lowering the age. It's only 3 years to wait after all.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2017, 9:54 pm

I think it's f*****g moronic. Setting the drinking age to 21 just makes alcohol more of a "forbidden fruit", and does nothing to curtail irresponsible drinking.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2017, 10:00 pm

NewTime wrote:
Isn't it wrong that an 18 year old can fight in a war, but can't drink a beer? Either 18 year olds should legally be allowed to drink beer or shouldn't legally be allowed to fight in a war.

If 18 is legally adulthood then they should be able to do anything. I don't know where this 21 thing came from but I think it's bogus.

EclecticWarrior
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2017, 10:07 pm

Not too long ago parents used to give BABIES a little drop of whisky in their bottles to help them get to sleep!

WP's most sparkling member.

DX classic autism 1995, AS 2003, depression 2008

~INFP~

ghoti
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2017, 10:10 pm

Raptor wrote:
I don't know where this 21 thing came from but I think it's bogus.

It came from MADD who got congress to blackmail the states to raise the drinking age to 21.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2017, 10:36 pm

Raptor wrote:
NewTime wrote:

If 18 is legally adulthood then they should be able to do anything. I don't know where this 21 thing came from but I think it's bogus.

Amen to that.

diablo
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Jan 2017, 11:58 pm

Raptor wrote:
NewTime wrote:

What about collecting social security retirement? Gotta be something at least.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2017, 12:21 am

I don't think it's wrong at all. A lot of people under the age of 21 have died from binge drinking and all countries are in constant need of young, fit soldiers to fight in those wars.

Aspinator
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2017, 12:36 am

While the Vietnam War was going on, people made the same argument. Someone was old enough to die for your country but not old enough to drink beer. A compromise was reached and someone who was 18 could legally purchase beer with half of the alcohol content of regular beer. I guess when the Vietnam War was over, it was changed back

Private Idaho
Toucan
Toucan

01 Feb 2017, 11:08 am

It was legal in my state to drink beer and wine when I turned 18. The Vietnam war and the draft had a lot to do with states lowering the age to 18 in the 60s and early 70s. In 1984 Congress passed a law which required the states to raise the drinking age to 21 or lose a potion of their highway funds. Indeed it was a form of blackmail because nothing in the US Constitution empowers Congress to micromanage the states in this fashion. Rising awareness of drunk driving deaths had a lot of influence.

Personally I agree that if you are required to register for the draft and die for your country, pay taxes and be considered an adult for all other purposes under law, you should be granted the discretion to drink alcohol. Hard to argue with that, though drunk driving is certainly a problem.