Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2017, 4:28 am

I am 16 now. And I in school at the moment.

So just in the past year I have made tremendous strides with getting to know people and lessening my once very big anxiety. Now how do I utilize that to get to know others better?

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2017, 10:56 am

Wish I could help you more, that said, I'm an Aspie.
Old enough to be your aunt.
And don't really know your situation.
That said, congratulations on gaining confidence ... that's huge! :)
Another good step would be to show interest and appreciation for the people around you,
while not coming on too strong.

Hope you will get some more good advice from others here, too.

I wish you the best, Shahunshah!

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2017, 3:29 am

the_phoenix wrote:
Wish I could help you more, that said, I'm an Aspie.
Old enough to be your aunt.
And don't really know your situation.
That said, congratulations on gaining confidence ... that's huge! :)
Another good step would be to show interest and appreciation for the people around you,
while not coming on too strong.

Hope you will get some more good advice from others here, too.

I wish you the best, Shahunshah!
I am already doing that to a level. Whenever I see people openly talking about something they are interested in I ask them about it.

Typically apart from that, I am known for constantly arguing in the middle of class. In Sociology the people think I am a Trump supporter.

I want to move beyond that.

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2017, 9:44 am

There's an old saying that when you're in a social setting, you don't talk about politics, religion, or sports.

Now a sociology class is in fact a place where these controversial topics do come up and are relevant and appropriate ... that said, if you have a reputation for being the one who constantly argues, you might want to give other people more of a chance to speak?

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2017, 1:54 pm

the_phoenix wrote:
There's an old saying that when you're in a social setting, you don't talk about politics, religion, or sports.

Now a sociology class is in fact a place where these controversial topics do come up and are relevant and appropriate ... that said, if you have a reputation for being the one who constantly argues, you might want to give other people more of a chance to speak?
You can't have an argument without listening to the other side. I don't know if the people in the class prefer it if I argue or not. Sometimes the class gets really quiet and silent when I ask a question to the teacher about something to do with politics the class gets into a debate.

In social settings I don't choose to discuss those topics.

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2017, 2:30 pm

Shahunshah wrote:
You can't have an argument without listening to the other side. I don't know if the people in the class prefer it if I argue or not. Sometimes the class gets really quiet and silent when I ask a question to the teacher about something to do with politics the class gets into a debate.

Without knowing more about you, Shahunshah,

I would probably enjoy talking politics with you in a coffee shop. You seem logical and level-headed enough to me. That said, we're both Aspies, right?

In the world at large, even though people will claim to be tolerant of other people's views ... when they call you things like "the one who constantly argues" ... well, people aren't always as tolerant as they claim. Some people who hear your views in class may resent you outside of class, and if they do, no, that's not fair, but people do have the right to choose who they associate with.

But these are just my ramblings ... it could be that simply improving on things like body language and small talk will help in your quest to make friends. :)

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2017, 5:12 am

the_phoenix wrote:
Shahunshah wrote:

Without knowing more about you, Shahunshah,

I would probably enjoy talking politics with you in a coffee shop. You seem logical and level-headed enough to me. That said, we're both Aspies, right?

In the world at large, even though people will claim to be tolerant of other people's views ... when they call you things like "the one who constantly argues" ... well, people aren't always as tolerant as they claim. Some people who hear your views in class may resent you outside of class, and if they do, no, that's not fair, but people do have the right to choose who they associate with.

But these are just my ramblings ... it could be that simply improving on things like body language and small talk will help in your quest to make friends. :)
Thanks.

I can't really see myself wanting to be around people who resent me because of my views, I just don't want to be around those whom are quick to judge. I am a little worried about getting on people's bad side though. It has happened twice before as a direct result of this.