Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Starfoxx
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2017, 7:34 am

Meltdowns suck but i wonder if its possible to get addicted cos at least for me i get super calm days later and can cope with more.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2017, 7:44 am

Really interesting question. I think any kind of coping mechanism can become habitual, and it makes sense to pay attention to that.

Jo_B1_Kenobi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Feb 2017, 8:03 am

For me, I think the answer I no - I couldn't get addicted to them. I really really dislike the feelings I have when I have a meltdown and they wreak difficulty and embarrassment in my life. More likely for me would be developing a phobia of meltdowns. I have no upside to having a meltdown. It's just a nightmare come true.

Diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ICD10)

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2017, 8:04 am

I think that what you said and what I said can both be true.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2017, 8:20 am

Starfoxx wrote:
Meltdowns suck but i wonder if its possible to get addicted cos at least for me i get super calm days later and can cope with more.

logically it's perfectaly possible , you can be addicted to anything if your brain is not wired correctly , but what you mention doesn't sound like addiction to me unless you actively seek or try to induce a meltdown.

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

Starfoxx
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2017, 11:21 am

I dont want to go back to normal tbh. I dont think i can do life like most people. Ill prob live away from everyone again. I can still work and such but i cant be around people too long.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2017, 11:51 am

Personally I have no control over my autistic meltdowns, so I'm not sure how an involuntary neurological malfunction can become addictive.

Starfoxx
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2017, 12:21 pm

EzraS wrote:
Personally I have no control over my autistic meltdowns, so I'm not sure how an involuntary neurological malfunction can become addictive.

I see. I dont have control either. :/

Cheers for the replies guys

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2017, 12:26 pm

Starfoxx wrote:
EzraS wrote:

I see. I dont have control either. :/

Cheers for the replies guys

I can see how they are cathartic though. Like feeling a lot better after nausea and vomiting is a (gross) way I would describe it. Although sometimes I actually feel nauseous after a meltdown, it depends.

This_Amoeba
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2017, 1:55 pm

Crying releases endorphins, which is probably why you feel calmer after having a meltdown (if you have crying meltdowns). Having an orgasm also releases endorphins, which induces calmness. Sometimes I wonder if meltdowns are the autistic brains way of releasing the feel good chemicals since they can't release the chemicals in a normal way to cope. This probably makes us more prone to drug addictions. Hmmm. I like to take opioid drugs to prevent my meltdowns if I can detect one coming.

Starfoxx
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2017, 4:22 pm

Oh my. I dont think it would be such a good idea to take opiods. That might get addictive and make things worse.

Exuvian
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2017, 8:57 pm

Starfoxx wrote:

I think it's more common for people to seek delectation knowing there's misery to follow than the other way around. But, it doesn't seem too surprising to think someone near the edge might seek to push themselves over to expedite the process...
It's an interesting thought.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2017, 9:01 pm

One easy way to stimulate the release of endorphine is to look at the diffraction pattern created by the interference of two screens. Hold one still, and slowly move the other while watching the patterns move until you find the right speed. I don't think a digital pattern works nearly as well, because you can adjust it by hand to a very fine detail.

blackicmenace
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2017, 10:06 pm

This_Amoeba wrote:
Crying releases endorphins, which is probably why you feel calmer after having a meltdown (if you have crying meltdowns). Having an orgasm also releases endorphins, which induces calmness. Sometimes I wonder if meltdowns are the autistic brains way of releasing the feel good chemicals since they can't release the chemicals in a normal way to cope. This probably makes us more prone to drug addictions. Hmmm. I like to take opioid drugs to prevent my meltdowns if I can detect one coming.

Don't touch opioids, that's a very bad idea. MDMA would be my happy choice personally, but then there is a drawback of having a down time after the chemical dump. I never felt addicted to MDMA, but I always did things in moderation.

FreakyZettairyouiki
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 Feb 2017, 10:39 pm

blackicmenace wrote:
This_Amoeba wrote:

Don't touch opioids, that's a very bad idea. MDMA would be my happy choice personally, but then there is a drawback of having a down time after the chemical dump. I never felt addicted to MDMA, but I always did things in moderation.

No wonder I always feel horny and "powerful" when I'm aroused (not necessarily masturbating). But then I feel like s**t afterwards. I may have had meltdowns when I was younger and I think now I might probably have slight meltdowns when I am pushed over the edge, like during this weekend. I was so pissed, more than I usually am.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2017, 10:42 pm

After I have one of my crying meltdowns, I feel like I have little to know energy. I also feel stupid that I couldn't control my emotions the way that my mum tried to train me to do.