Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

aviatefanatic
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

02 Feb 2017, 9:23 am

So I am a diagnosed Aspie, along with OCD and a bunch of other fun stuff.
I have so much trouble focusing on schoolwork, I don't know what drives me away from it, it almost happens " naturally ". Is there anyone whose had this issue? Or could give me any focus tips?
Thanks! :D :D

Exuvian
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2017, 11:21 pm

This is partly a thread bump, because it's a good question and I bet others will have better advice.

I think when I was your age, I would have done well to establish and hold to a schedule. It's easy to put something off for "10 more minutes" until it ends up being tomorrow and nothing has been accomplished.

Maybe try to develop a "template" to base future work on so it's more like additions to what you've already successfully done rather than each assignment being 100% from scratch.

DifferentMind
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Feb 2017, 1:21 am

Exuvian... can you explain this template idea? I have this issue currently as well

Exuvian
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2017, 8:03 pm

DifferentMind wrote:
Exuvian... can you explain this template idea? I have this issue currently as well

Nothing special, and you'll probably be disappointed with my answer, but...
I just always find it easier to fill in blanks, than to re-create everything.

Example: Say I'm making a "commercial" for a company. They give me a tangled mess of data that has to go into it. We know all commercials need a beginning, middle and end.
-----
Beginning:
Middle:
End:
-----
We then have the most basic division of parts and can focus on them individually. I see that a lot of the data is about employees and the company is employee-focused. So I can lead off with all employee data.
-----
Beginning: People -> New employees, Anniversaries, Promotions, etc.
Middle:
End:
-----
Next we have a bunch of data related to what the company has produced, new products, improvements over old etc. which fills the mid-section.
-----
Middle: Products -> Flashy new Widget "B", N-times better than Widget "A" was, what's in store for future Widget "C"
End:
-----
Finally, we have sales numbers. Not a terribly exciting topic to launch into, but some encouraging final figures to leave the company with.
-----
Middle: Products -> Flashy new Widget "B", N-times better than Widget "A" was, what's in store for future Widget "C"
End: Sales -> Widget "B" sales doing amazingly well against other brands, up x% from last year, etc.
-----
Even though future videos will have different numbers, "widgets" and new faces of employees, I can refer to where I put the data, how long I spend on each item (adjusting if necessary), and in the case of video probably re-use titles and some graphics.

Even better if the template you develop is a little more generic than mine. It's also like how writing haiku poems becomes a good deal easier to start when you know they consist of 3-lines with 17 syllables in a 5/7/5 syllable count.

A little structure to contain the chaos.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2017, 10:07 pm

I've only had trouble with school if the teacher decided for some reason she didn't like me or didn't know how to teach.

The Unleasher
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2017, 11:06 pm

I'm having this issue and I can tell you, it's probably boredom. You'll have to talk to your teacher, your counselor will spew the same old lies over and over again. At least from my experiences, good luck!

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2017, 10:15 am

MagicMeerkat,

I was the same way. My worst subject was P.E. because I was not athletic at all as a kid and the class was taught by teachers with a real jock mentality. I was always academically oriented. It's odd today that I watch tennis and take tennis lessons today. The coaches at the tennis center have a well-rounded approach to life, which I like. My instructor says it is important to have both an "indoor" (academic) life and an "outdoor" (active) life.