Those with Face Blindness (Prosopagnosia)

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

EclecticWarrior
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2017, 11:14 pm

I can recognise faces that frequently appear in the media, for example Trump's, because they're so common. I often find myself gravitating to a distinctive feature of the person in question, for example Trump's orange hair and matching face, in order to help me recognise them in contexts I am not used to them being in.

WP's most sparkling member.

DX classic autism 1995, AS 2003, depression 2008

~INFP~

gamergolem
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Feb 2017, 11:35 am

I'm like a lot of you, I can recognize really famous faces, either due to repetition or distinguishing features, but other faces are a complete mystery to me. The most jarring one for me is when watching Natural Born Killers, I had trouble telling Scagnetti (the cop) apart from Gale (the reporter). I had the watch the film 3 times just to understand what was happening in the later half.

UnderTheWillowTree
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Feb 2017, 6:36 am

SteveSnow wrote:
I can't recognize my own family until I see something that distinguishes them or hear them talk. I've walked right past them on multiple occasions since it wasn't a place I was expecting them and they weren't moving. The only way I can remember a famous face, fictional or otherwise, is if it has a distinguishing feature that no one else has. So someone like Bart is easy but George Washington I wouldn't have a clue if you put his picture next to other males from that same period.

Hi, I was wondering if there's any chance you would be able to chat with me about your experience with prosopagnosia. The condition itself fascinates me and I'd love to discuss this with you. I'm looking to collect some opinions and research as well as personal stories to help my in my current art project at school. I'd love to hear back from you, have a good day :D

UnderTheWillowTree
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Feb 2017, 6:39 am

Hippygoth wrote:
I recognise people by their hair and their clothes and their body shape. If someone changes their hairstyle I can't recognise them anymore. I did one of those famous faces tests online for fun, the kind where they take away cues such as hairstyle, and scored very badly.

In everyday life, I don't recognise people out of context. Occasionally they look familiar although I can't quite place them, but most of the time they're complete strangers even though I ought to know them. I have accidentally offended several people with my inability to recognise them.

Hi, I was wondering if there's any chance you would be able to chat with me about your experience with prosopagnosia. The condition itself fascinates me and I'd love to discuss this with you. I'm looking to collect some opinions and research as well as personal stories to help my in my current art project at school. I'd love to hear back from you, have a good day :D