Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2017, 2:14 pm

Forbes: Extreme Radiation Levels Detected At Fukushima Reactor, Highest Since 2011

Quote:
On Thursday, the Tokyo Electric Power Company (TEPCO), the investor-owned utility that operates the Fukushima reactors, reported that it detected a radiation level of 530 sieverts per hour in the containment vessel of reactor 2 at the Fukushima No. 1 power plant.

I wouldn't want to live too close to the plant.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2017, 2:49 pm

You should see the film of the Tsunami when it first came Japan's shore.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2017, 4:26 pm

I watch a lot of NHK, so I've seen plenty of updates. Now that you mention it, I rarely see coverage of the repair and cleanup efforts anywhere else.

They have gone through several plans, and the effort has stimulated the development of a lot of new technology, but they keep reporting failure to reach their goals. Water leaks into and out of the pile, and spent fuel on the site still poses risks. I have no idea how much water they have stored.

They also removed contaminated soil from the fallout zone and stored it "temporarily" in stacks of glorified plastic bags in fields. They've had about as much success finding a permanent home for nuclear waste as we have in the USA. Essentially, none.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2017, 8:48 am

I read about this too. Horrifying.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2017, 5:28 pm

The whole planet will nuked soon anyway. Better get the cyanide ready. :(

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2017, 5:34 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
The whole planet will nuked soon anyway. Better get the cyanide ready. :(

It does kinda seem that way.

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2017, 10:24 pm

This is why a lot of people say "Fuk-u-shima" instead of "Foo-koo-shima" (the latter being correct Japanese, the former, well...). As for the whole planet getting nuked, it's certainly possible. It almost happened in 1962, and it was the cuckoo generals who wanted it so they could destroy the USSR at any and all costs up to and including the extinction of humanity. (But hey, no commies! But nobody else either. But at least we're rid of communism.) JFK pulled the rabid dogs back at the last minute. He probably wound up paying for that with his life. In the 80s there was a Twilight Zone episode where a guy from 2300 AD travels back in time and saves JFK's life, only to learn that Kcruschev (sp?) was killed instead and now the Soviets are marching into West Germany, with the planet being nuked as a result. The time traveler finally figures out a way to save humanity by sending JFK back in time so he can be killed to die for our sins. I personally can't wait to die and get off this hellhole, and I believe that I will spend eternity in a big black void. Even that would be better than Earth.

traven
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2017, 7:30 am