Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Mr.Robot
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2017, 8:55 am

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
impulsive versus indecisive

yeah i am way too indecisive. it's like i have to think up every last outcome, before doing anything. and there are an infinite number, or at least, a lot, of outcomes. and by the time i think up a lot of scenarios, there is no longer a chance to do anything altogether.

almost everyone i have ever interacted with is too impulsive. especially the ones younger than me.

It surely sounds familiar.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2017, 8:14 pm

It surely sounds familiar.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

b/c i am profoundly afraid of doing something i regret. in the past i did plenty of things i regretted. in some instances, the punishments were far worse than i had ever imagined.

however, i ain't afraid of not doing something i should have done.

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2019, 2:21 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
This is quite common but not limited to people on the spectrum/

The Science of Analysis Paralysis: How Overthinking Kills Your Productivity & What You Can Do About It

Quote:
n 1956, economist Herman Simon created the term “satisficer” to describe the decision-making style that ‘prioritizes an adequate solution over an optimal solution’. As Gretchen Rubin of The Happiness Project describes it: “Satisficers make a decision once their criteria are met; when they find the hotel or the pasta sauce that has the qualities they want, they’re satisfied.”

In contrast, “Maximizers want to make the best possible decision; even if they see a bicycle that meets their requirements, they can’t make a decision until they’ve examined every option.”

Oh yes!

Research suggests that whether you’re a satisfier or a maximizer can have a huge impact on your happiness and well-being. Four different studies carried out by Swarthmore College studied the psychological effects of these two decision-making styles. They found that:

Maximizers reported significantly less life satisfaction, happiness, optimism, and self-esteem, and significantly more regret and depression, than satisficers.
Maximizers were more likely to engage in social comparison and counterfactual thinking (i.e. What if I had chosen option number 2 instead?) and experienced more regret and less happiness after making a consumer decision.
Maximizers experienced a greater increase in negative mood when they did not perform as well as their peers.
Though analyzing every last option in the quest for the best choice may lead to an objectively better outcome in some situations, maximizing ultimately leads to more anxiety and regret and less happiness and satisfaction with your decisions.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2019, 5:05 pm

For a long time, I have been grotesquely overthinking. Often things that happened over twenty years ago. From every last angle

It has to be a balance, among:. Thought, emotion, action , statement

But then most lil dipshits talk too much and think too little so whatever

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2019, 5:24 pm

Yes. Overthinking. Yes. I think lots and lots and lots. Overthinking has caused me to put my foot in it many times. Unfortunately by overthinking, I cause problems where there never was a problem in the first place. :(

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

17 Sep 2019, 4:42 pm

^^ I know what you last two posters mean. I either overthink or not think enough. I've been accused of not thinking a lot for making mistakes & screwing things up. However I sometimes overthought & analyzed something the wrong way. I saw the situation or whatever from an angle noone else would. I sometimes focus on the wrong aspects of something & ignore the parts I really should focus on. I often focus on the details & not see the big picture which causes me to make mistakes or not finish stuff when I should.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2019, 6:56 pm

nick007 wrote:
^^ I know what you last two posters mean. I either overthink or not think enough. I've been accused of not thinking a lot for making mistakes & screwing things up. However I sometimes overthought & analyzed something the wrong way. I saw the situation or whatever from an angle noone else would. I sometimes focus on the wrong aspects of something & ignore the parts I really should focus on. I often focus on the details & not see the big picture which causes me to make mistakes or not finish stuff when I should.

Personally, overthinking sometimes stems from an overcompensation of sorts -esp. from well.........underthinking.

Excellent point 'shortfatbalduglyman' It has to be a balance, among: Thought, emotion, action, and statement. A Zen-like process.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2019, 7:10 pm

Hard to wind down. Overthinking too much. Is early hours of the morning.

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2019, 5:53 pm

Sometimes, just expressing how overthinking is applied can be comical.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2019, 6:31 pm

Yes. And finding words to express inner groanings inside... To put the depth of feelings into word form! Somehow words are like the mesh of a sieve where most feelings can't be captured into word form, but flow straight through the gaps!

Teach51
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2019, 5:58 am

I find that when I am alone for prolonged periods with no immediate, urgent commitments I tend to start thinking obsessively. Keeping busy helps me. Part of my ADD is obsessive thinking whilst procrastinating. It's a loopy loop.

Last edited by Teach51 on 19 Sep 2019, 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2019, 6:18 am

Teach51 wrote:
I find that when I am alone for prolonged periods with no immediate, urgent commitments I tend to start thinking obsessively. Keeping busy helps me. Part of my ADD is obsessive thinking whilst procrastinating. It's loopy loop.

Some people who procrastinate have difficulty getting things done.

languagehopper
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Nov 2019, 8:43 am

I overthink so badly I am just about paralysed. I am definitely a maximiser and always want to take everything into consideration and come up with the best possible solution given the circumstances. This given the circumstances bit is what really scuppers me. How can you know the circumstances will be ahead of time? It means I can't plan ahead at all. Everything needs to be ataken into account but not everything can be known ahead of time therefore planning is impossible. I can only function in the present with only broad aims towards the future. Paradoxically I often end up acting impulsively because I think myself into a corner and have to jump one way or the other under force of circumstances alone.

Because of this my routine is critical to me as it doesn't require as much thought as the thinking for that set of actions has mostly been done. I still keep tweaking it but the bulk of the planning has been done beforehand. I am very efficient within my routine and get masses done but it doesn't work as well if I get distracted by someone else being there. I am supposed to organise volunteers as well as myself to get the work done and I find it very very difficult and make a mess of it and everything takes longer than it would if I just worked alone. I am rubbish at explaining what I mean and it takes so much longer checking if someone did something than simply doing it. I don't mean to be unfriendly but it just isn't where my skills lie. I am pretty good at coping with immediate events but rubbish at planning anything. If something is planned in advance I torture myself turning it over and over in my mind. I can only cope if I just forbid myself to think about it and face it only when it rolls around. Or avoid it, another thing I am good at! If there was an avoidance Olympics I would win all the medals.... only I wouldn't collect them! Then of course there is the overthinking that happens after the event and the horror at what an idiot I am.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2019, 3:06 pm

languagehopper wrote:
I overthink so badly I am just about paralysed. I am definitely a maximiser and always want to take everything into consideration and come up with the best possible solution given the circumstances. This given the circumstances bit is what really scuppers me. How can you know the circumstances will be ahead of time? It means I can't plan ahead at all. Everything needs to be ataken into account but not everything can be known ahead of time therefore planning is impossible. I can only function in the present with only broad aims towards the future. Paradoxically I often end up acting impulsively because I think myself into a corner and have to jump one way or the other under force of circumstances alone.

Because of this my routine is critical to me as it doesn't require as much thought as the thinking for that set of actions has mostly been done. I still keep tweaking it but the bulk of the planning has been done beforehand. I am very efficient within my routine and get masses done but it doesn't work as well if I get distracted by someone else being there. I am supposed to organise volunteers as well as myself to get the work done and I find it very very difficult and make a mess of it and everything takes longer than it would if I just worked alone. I am rubbish at explaining what I mean and it takes so much longer checking if someone did something than simply doing it. I don't mean to be unfriendly but it just isn't where my skills lie. I am pretty good at coping with immediate events but rubbish at planning anything. If something is planned in advance I torture myself turning it over and over in my mind. I can only cope if I just forbid myself to think about it and face it only when it rolls around. Or avoid it, another thing I am good at! If there was an avoidance Olympics I would win all the medals.... only I wouldn't collect them! Then of course there is the overthinking that happens after the event and the horror at what an idiot I am.

What you write I see a few similarities and I find it painful to read. (Is not your fault. It is me). I can only gloss over what you have written. You know where to read it would hit home and I am not at the stage where I can read it yet?
Routines. I never thought I did routines, but I realize through what my youngest brother had noticed, that I have developed so many little routines that other people get frustrated... To me they are common sense to avoid bad situations, but others are often frustrated as to why I can't just go ahead and do something without thinking about it and doing things a certain way. For example, I will take a few trips carrying just one or two things at a time walking back and fore where others do it in one trip. And they say "Why can't you pick them all up and drop them off where they are supposed to go and walk from one place to the next to save yourself multiple trips?" And I would say "Shush! I have to do it the way I have plotted it out in my mind or I will forget what I am doing!"