Do you want to go back to high school and do it right this..

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

CharityGoodyGrace
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2017, 3:54 am

...time?

I am willing to settle for college and university, but I'm getting old, I turned 29 a month ago.

f**k my parents thinking college an uni people are special snowflakes. f**k their hatred for people who take the liberal arts too; I still plan to learn practical skills on my own time. f**k their hatred for social justice-loving people who go to school aiming to become an activist for an advocacy organization.

f**k them. I'll do what I want even if it kills me. I'm done with walking on eggshells terrified of being seen as a special snowflake.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2017, 4:15 am

there's a whole lot i'd rather do nowadays than attempt to redo high school. sure, there's a whole lot i could have done better, then, i know this now that i've graduated, and some i even realized while i was still there...but i'd much rather keep moving forward. things might have turned out much different had i known, but i don't want to change things in the past. they are what they are.

i don't think 29 is old. it might not be very young, but i have always thought youth was a state of mind more than a stage of life.

what organization(s) are you planning to advocate for?

it is better not to walk on eggshells, lest they break and you get little shell pieces embedded in your foot. ow.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

CharityGoodyGrace
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2017, 4:19 am

Something like ASAN. Or MindFreedom, or the Icarus Project. Something autism or mental health related.

I can't wait, I'm so excited, but my parents' hatred for people like me, their disappointment in me for being such a special snowflake, is dampening my enthusiasm!

I'm young at heart, yes. I'm full of energy (when my enthusiasm isn't dampened by killjoys) and ready to go back to school and be an activist as soon as I copyright my two books and publish them with Jessica Kingsley Publishers.

I don't dwell on high school; I meant I'm excited about going to college because it's like a second chance to do high school right.

tick
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 Feb 2017, 5:04 am

Don't worry too much about your parents disapproval. It's going to hurt but as long as what you are doing isn't hurting yourself or others than there is no reason to let their opinions get in your way. I'm glad of so many times I ignored my mom and went ahead and made my own decision and I think she has finally accepted those decisions. Of course it took years and there were periods of time where I just couldn't have any contact with her; it wasn't easy at all.

As for a high-school do over, sometimes I think about how much fun it might be to wear pajamas to class everyday. I really wish I had done that. But high-school would still be hell, so no, I'm glad that torture is over.

Good luck with your goals, I hope school goes well for you. And 29 isn't old at all for college, lots of people go much later than even that.

Canary
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2017, 4:21 pm

Not really. Maybe I didn't do so well, but at least I can move on to something else, you know?

College people aren't necessarily better, either. I don't think people start maturing until around 25, at least, certainly not in their early 20's. But it's a good time to start shrugging off the high school mentality of approval being the only thing that matters.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2017, 6:15 pm

I don't think I would be able to academically do it again, but I could social-wise. In high school I chased away all the friends I could of had by impulsively talking about my obsessions too much. I wish I could go back and be less boring. Also I wish I had worn my uniform how other "cool" girls did; having ties short, wearing fitted shirts, and not rolling my sleeves right up to nearly my shoulders. I did unfasten my top button but that's it.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2017, 6:26 pm

No, not really. I have nothing to undo or come back to.

If ever, I wanna fake my death or run away or something similar... Then get a change of identity for myself, live without anyone's worry which is something I would've want to be done long time ago.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2017, 10:08 pm

I am glad that I am finished with my formal schooling and wouldn't wish to do it over again. I am taking classes through my city's Recreation and Parks department, and I love learning new things without having to worry about a letter grade. However, one day, if I can take classes relevant to job advancement, I may consider doing so. Even there, I think Toastmasters is a big help in that department.

lekrons
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

08 Feb 2017, 12:42 am

No way. School was just awful.

Many universities will take adult students regardless of their school grades. If you can go straight to higher education, well that's what I'd recommend. My university time was extremely enjoyable compared to school - mostly because the staff would treat the students like actual people.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2017, 1:32 am

^ yep. cause they're not minors, and they have actual rights. i imagine the staff at my old HS felt rather 'untouchable' as a result...at least, some of them did.

middle school too.

CharityGoodyGrace wrote:
I can't wait, I'm so excited, but my parents' hatred for people like me, their disappointment in me for being such a special snowflake, is dampening my enthusiasm!

that's a shame...but you mustn't let your parents disapproval get in the way of what you want. i've butted heads with my own parents over this, countless times, and often they felt like i was disrespecting them merely because i disagreed. maybe lots of parents have that mentality.

you don't sound like the *bad* kind of "special snowflake" to me (i don't really like the term) but it just sounds like what you want goes against what they wanted for you. maybe. what's so wrong with wanting to be different, to them?

CharityGoodyGrace wrote:
I don't dwell on high school; I meant I'm excited about going to college because it's like a second chance to do high school right.

oh okie, thanks for the clarification. i think college is far more different than high shcool, to me it didn't feel like going there all over again, but a new experience entirely.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

CharityGoodyGrace
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2017, 6:07 am

@Edna: I also wanted to do the exact same thing when I was in HS!! !

@IstominFan: I also went to Toastmasters, it was fun though I wasn't in it for very long (had to go visit my son in Texas, and then was busy with other stuff).

@Kiprobalhato: Minors have just as many rights, just different ones, both legally and morally, though often minors' rights get ignored and trampled on by adults.

Thanks for the support, guys; I guess I just wish I had been myself in HS. In HS I appeared more boring and cowardly and gross and inept and stupid, and less friendly, than I actually was. I was trying to keep a low profile due to embarrassing moments. If I'd just been myself, in retrospect, the embarrassment wouldn't have been so much remebered. And I wouldn't have been seen as all those bad things I said in this paragraph about how I appeared.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2017, 12:05 pm

Actually, I kinda do, but if I did I'd want to have serious accommodations put in place so I could actually keep up in my classes and not end up f*****g up my grades or credits. I'd also want to experience all the cool s**t I missed out on like industrial arts and drama class. I think I'd benefit from having a structured environment where I could hang out with other people my age... but not a f*****g job because I tried that and it was Hell.

Not graduating from high school and missing out on a bunch of opportunities I had in high school are two of the biggest regrets I have in life. As much as I hated it the first time through, I actually kinda miss it, and I'd love to have a chance to do it over.