Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2017, 9:07 am

Globe & Mail: Elizabeth Warren rebuked for quoting Coretta Scott King in Senate

Quote:
King wrote that when acting as a federal prosecutor, Sessions used his power to “chill the free exercise of the vote by black citizens.”

Quoting King technically put Warren in violation of Senate rules for “impugning the motives” of Sessions, though senators have said far worse. And Warren was reading from a letter that was written 10 years before Sessions was even elected to the Senate.

Still, top Senate Republican Mitch McConnell invoked the rules. After a few parliamentary moves, the GOP-controlled Senate voted to back him up.

Now, Warren is forbidden from speaking again on Sessions’ nomination. A vote on Sessions is expected Wednesday evening.

Is this a selective use of the rules?

Earthbound
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2017, 9:22 am

Republicans are just sickening. They think whatever they do is fine, especially when it's NOT! They whined and blocked how many things Obama did. So to get revenge- they are undoing much of his work and making things horrible.

Case in point- Betsy DeVos yesterday. She wasn't fit for the job but got it because she donated money to many of the current members of congress.

I hope it's a matter of time before stuff unravels for Trump and his corrupt elite. They aren't thinking of America, they are thinking of themselves! SICK!

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2017, 9:26 am

I find it amusing that the new Education Secretary is a plagiarist.

CNN: Senate Democrats vow to review Betsy DeVos plagiarism allegations before full vote

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2017, 12:27 pm

Quote:
The action prompted a tide of support on Facebook for Warren, a darling of the political left, under a hashtag #LetLizSpeak" after she went outside the chamber and read the letter in a video posted on the site that drew more than 5 million views by Wednesday morning.

Reuters: Silenced in Senate, Democrat Warren speaks louder against Sessions

Quote:
Senate Democrats are powerless to stop the Republican majority from confirming Sessions later this afternoon, but the incident gave Democrats a very public argument to show their voters that they did everything they could to try and stop Sessions.

And for that, Democrats are thanking Mitch McConnell this morning.

CNBC: How Mitch McConnell’s silencing of Elizabeth Warren totally and completely backfired

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2017, 12:57 pm

If this keeps up, male republicans are gonna find themselves sleeping alone at night for a long time if you know what I mean. When they ask why, the wind blows.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2017, 2:06 pm

Aspiegaming wrote:
If this keeps up, male republicans are gonna find themselves sleeping alone at night for a long time if you know what I mean. When they ask why, the wind blows.

Sounds like Aristophanes' Lysistrata.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2017, 3:28 pm

Mitch McConnell: "She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted."

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2017, 3:39 pm

beneficii wrote:
Mitch McConnell: "She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted."

Washington Post: Read the letter Coretta Scott King wrote opposing Sessions’s 1986 federal nomination
Quote:
Coretta Scott King, the widow of civil rights leader Martin Luther King Jr., urged Congress in a letter to block the 1986 nomination of Jeff Sessions for federal judge, saying that allowing him to join the federal bench would “irreparably damage the work of my husband.” The letter, previously unavailable publicly, was obtained on Tuesday by The Washington Post.

Quote:
“Anyone who has used the power of his office as United States Attorney to intimidate and chill the free exercise of the ballot by citizens should not be elevated to our courts,” King wrote in the cover page of her nine-page letter opposing Sessions’s nomination, which failed. “Mr. Sessions has used the awesome powers of his office in a shabby attempt to intimidate and frighten elderly black voters. For this reprehensible conduct, he should not be rewarded with a federal judgeship.”

Thirty years later, Sessions, now a senator, is again undergoing confirmation hearings as President-elect Donald Trump’s nominee for attorney general, and he is facing fierce opposition from civil rights groups.

diablo
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Feb 2017, 3:51 pm

Someone rambling excessively and told to stop is one thing. But using anti democratic tactics to silence politicians for "insulting" a fellow senator, one that is going to be appointed to a powerful position is another.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2017, 4:59 pm

It's about time someone shut that old bat up! Now let's make it permanent and proclaim Idi Amin Trump dictator for life :twisted: :evil:

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2017, 9:30 pm

This was never enforced against Republican Senators in spite of them breaching it multiple times.

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2017, 10:33 pm

MDD123 wrote:
This was never enforced against Republican Senators in spite of them breaching it multiple times.

Democrats, cowards, almost every single one. They're afraid if they lift a finger, the big bad elephant is gonna chop 'em all off.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2017, 10:50 pm

Senator Warren is told that Martin Luther King's legacy is of no interest in a debate in the US senate

The Trump republicans unanimously vote to have a known racist sworn in as US attorney general

Wow! How shocking and unexpected...

Me thinks the Trump pigeon's are "definitely coming home to roost"

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2017, 11:35 pm

Unfortunately, the KKK Grand Wizard... er, I mean Jeff Sessions, has been confirmed, despite Warren's martyrdom.
The one bright side is, Sessions is just another nail of incompetents nailed into Trump's - and the Republicans - coffin.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2017, 6:51 am

Looks like Republicans are offended by hearing the truth.