Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

bizmack
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 May 2007, 2:48 am

i am a 26 year old self diagnosied aspie who is looking to interact physically with aspies....

i am looking into joining a local Asperger's group in my city and i was wondering if anyone out there has any experience that they would like to share for a first timer like myself who doesnt really know what to think about an experience like this...

TrishC7
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 May 2007, 3:00 am

I don't think there's even an Aspie group in my city (though there's an autism meetup group about to have its first meeting, so maybe I'll meet a few people & something will eventually come out of it). I would love to try one, myself. Good luck, and if you go I hope you'll let us know what you think.

I lived in San Diego - only for a year, sadly. I really wish I lived there again. I love the climate and walking along a deserted beach.

girl7000
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2007, 6:49 am

Hi,

I live in the UK and go an excellent group based in Brighton in England (it's called Assert Brighton and Hove if you want to look it up).

There are social skills classes once a month and there is also a drop-in event once month held in a quite room at the back of a pub (there is a back door so you don't have to go through the noisy pub at all). The drop-in is for more high functioning aspies / auties. It's really helpful. It took me 2 months to be brave enough to actually go to a meeting but once I did it was amazing! It was like finally finding my home. Everyone had similar experiences and 'issues' to me and we all understood each others' communications with ease.

I now go to this every month.

The group also arrange one outing a month, such as to the theatre, to a concert, to visit the excellent 'monkeyworld' primate rescue centre in Dorset, England, a pottery making and decorating day...

It has been an entirely positive experience for me and I have met many lovely people who find the world just as confusing and noisy etc as I do.

Good luck with finding a group.

There are also national organisations here, such as DANDA (www.danda.org.uk) who have events once a month in major cities. If you can't find something really near to you, perhaps it's worth looking for something that is a little further away (but obviously withing realistic travelling distance). You may well meet other people who live in you area if you go to such an event too.

Good luck.

bizmack
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 May 2007, 6:13 pm

thank you...i think i will be very nervous at first, but i think i need to explore this to feel better about myself...ive found an aspie group in the area and i have emailed two of the members...we will see how it goes....thanks for the coments everyone

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

18 May 2007, 11:59 am

well i live in a small town, and i dont think theres such groups, but ive been to san diego before and must say thats one of the best citys ive ever been in. i love mission beach, and silver strand beach. what wonderful times i had there! :D
that rollercoster on mission beach, "the little dipper" i dont know if thats what its still named kicked quite a punch for being such a small coster/ i loved it

Wolfpup
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2007, 12:46 pm

I wish there was a group here, as I'd like to meet others in real life too. There are groups that are kind of like for kids or parents of kids on the spectrum, but I don't think there's anything for adults yet.

The Easter Seals thing where I live just opened some sort of autism resource room/thingee. My mom actually has an appointment to go there tonight, and I guess I'm coming with her. I have no idea what to expect. I don't know if it's just some books or something or what.

TrishC7
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 May 2007, 4:20 am

I used to drive something like 20 miles from El Cajon, just to go to Silver Strand beach. My time there was some of the most peaceful & happiest in my life. It's happy memories, but sad to not be able to go there or anyplace similar. I'm landlocked.