Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2017, 1:51 pm

Were you in the Northwest Territories?

Private Idaho
Toucan
Toucan

13 Feb 2017, 4:39 pm

No, it was a place in northeastern Ontario called Temagami. Basically due north of Toronto.

Last edited by Private Idaho on 13 Feb 2017, 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2017, 6:17 pm

I went all the way to Moosonee once.

I saw signs for Temagami on Route 11.

Private Idaho
Toucan
Toucan

14 Feb 2017, 2:04 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I went all the way to Moosonee once.

Whew, that's way north on Hudson Bay. Ever been to the Outer Banks of North Carolina? I've spent a lot of time there fishing and have relatives that live near Nags Head. It's a very unique place if you haven't been there.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2017, 2:36 pm

I went fishing with my dad a few times. I enjoyed it.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2017, 3:00 pm

I used to go fishing but stopped because all the casting and retrieving was aggravating a nerve in my arm. It got to where I'd have to stop after about ten to fifteen minutes and so I quit for good.

RadicalDreamers
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2017, 9:35 am

Reposting because I wanted to expand upon the initial..

[Idaho… That cat featured as your avatar... There’s one in my neighborhood (almost identical) that constantly stares at me from a top floor window across the street. This happens on a regular basis after work when I walk to collect the mail each evening. It’s funny.]

When I used to fish freshwater, I caught a variety of fish which commonly included: Largemouth Bass, Catfish, Gar, Sunfish, Tilapia, and Bowfin. I keep a freshwater spinner setup in the trunk of my car just because... you never know if you see a body of water that looks tempting enough and it's good to have anyway.

Of the variety of freshwater fish I’ve caught, I’ve found Gar to be interesting. Once you land a Gar…you can't mistake the stench. It's awfully offensive and very unique. Despite the stench of the Gar… catching that particular prehistoric trash fish can be alot of fun. I always thought their scale plating was really impressive (Bowfin also have that similar hardcore armor plating). It's so durable and can easily deflect most blades, and can even dull certain blades as well. It's very tough, that's for sure.

Used to cast net Shiners and Shad for Bass bait and sometimes you end up pulling up Plecostomus as well (another very strange fish with rugged plating) I always removed them from the net and released them back to the water immediately. Caught tons of Largemouth Bass of varying sizes. I’ve always enjoyed fishing and it can be a calming experience.

Private Idaho
Toucan
Toucan

15 Feb 2017, 11:14 am

I've done my share of freshwater fishing for sunfish, crappie and bass using various lures. Large mouth bass are quite tasty and a couple of them makes a good meal. Caught a gar once by accident and have hooked some big eels (they are quite slimy). Fresh water catfish are fun to catch but we never ate them.

BetwixtBetween
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2017, 11:26 am

I haven't been in years, but I used to love fishing.

RadicalDreamers
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2017, 11:45 am

Catching catfish is alot of fun. I always thought they looked so funny with their skin and those whiskers.

Luna035
Raven
Raven

15 Feb 2017, 10:56 pm

Private Idaho wrote:
Does anyone like to fish? I did a lot of fishing with my dad and cousins growing up but haven't put a hook in the water for 10 years. There is a river nearby that has some pretty big blue catfish that are biting. Thinking about buying a pole and a fishing license.

I love fishing, actually, but only if the water is clean enough for you to eat what you catch. It is relaxing, normally, to go fishing.

RadicalDreamers
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2017, 11:42 pm

I've mostly caught flatheads out here as they are far more common.

Luna035
Raven
Raven

16 Feb 2017, 10:44 am

mrshappyhands wrote:
I love fishing. I prefer saltwater, but I can have just as much fun with freshwater. There's just something calming about it. Even if you don't catch something you still get to spend a day taking in nature.

I feel the same way. I love being alone in natural surroundings too, or with one other person. Especially if the water is clean enough to go into if the weather is warm.

Canary
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2017, 8:14 pm

I find it relaxing, but when I was little I hooked a fish through the eye and was horrified between that and a couple who swallowed hooks while my dad and uncle were teaching me to fish growing up. I'd at least want to eat them quickly if I did it again.